Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Tow vehicle, tacoma or 4runner?

Old 12-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
68dave's Tacoma Gallery
Tow vehicle, tacoma or 4runner?

I have 2 toyota's, a 04 taco 4x4 3.4L manual trans and a 00 4runner 4x4 3.4L auto trans. I am undecided on which truck would make a better tow vehicle. I ordered a new Casita 17ft fiberglass camper, it weighs 2450lbs. I'm picking it up in Texas on march 17th and towing it home to Baltimore. The runner has 180k miles, 3" toytec suspension lift, tundra front brakes and a external trans cooler. The taco was a project truck that i picked up with a blown motor for $500. I recently installed a used engine with 69k miles, 147k on the truck. Taco has stock suspension. Taco has a new Aisin clutch kit. Both trucks have new t. belts and related compoments, rad hoses, tune ups, and tires. Both run great. Will the manual trans tow better than a heavier auto trans equipped 4runner? Will the taco's stock suspension handle the weight? I have to install a brake controller and 7 pin connector and i'm not sure what truck to use. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Tow vehicle, tacoma or 4runner?-004.jpg   Tow vehicle, tacoma or 4runner?-381.jpg   Tow vehicle, tacoma or 4runner?-044.jpg  
Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a lot and would NEVER consider a manual transmission for an ideal tow vehicle. Especially for a long distance. Either vehicle will handle that little trailer no problem, but personally I would opt for the automatic.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
I tow a lot and would NEVER consider a manual transmission for an ideal tow vehicle. Especially for a long distance. Either vehicle will handle that little trailer no problem, but personally I would opt for the automatic.

Just curious why you would never consider a manual?
Old 12-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Timberland Taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Dan
Timberland Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yea to each their own on this one. Me personally i prefer a manual towing for the total gear control. Im not a towing expert but i would have to guess that the 4runner would be a little nicer towing. Its 6 in one half dozen in the other as far as im concerned.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all

EMS:
Name: Tyler Addison Rush III
2stroketrush's Tacoma Gallery
Yep i like my manual for towing as well. Where in Baltimore are you??
Old 12-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

68dave's Tacoma Gallery
I was raised in canton, near fells point but i'm in dundalk now. I wanted a single family home with a large grass yard, garage and driveway. And i'm only 10mins. from canton/fells point, i work in canton. I'm leaning towards the tacoma, i like the idea of controlling the gears especially when i'm in the mountains traveling up I-81.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
JLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Former NH LEO
JLee50's Tacoma Gallery
I would use the 4Runner mainly because of the Tundra brakes. A heavier tow vehicle will also get pushed around less by a trailer.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all

EMS:
Name: Tyler Addison Rush III
2stroketrush's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68dave View Post
I was raised in canton, near fells point but i'm in dundalk now. I wanted a single family home with a large grass yard, garage and driveway. And i'm only 10mins. from canton/fells point, i work in canton. I'm leaning towards the tacoma, i like the idea of controlling the gears especially when i'm in the mountains traveling up I-81.
sweet! I'm right down the road in Sparrows Point, i will have to keep a eye out for you!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #9

68dave's Tacoma Gallery
My parents live in sparrows point on Lincoln ave.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
enigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedenigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedenigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedenigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedenigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedenigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedenigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedenigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedenigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedenigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedenigmadsm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nate
enigmadsm's Tacoma Gallery
I would use the Taco...I have a 97 4Runner with OME suspension, and an 03 taco double cab. They both are 3.4 autos

Its unreal how much the 4runner squats with a little tongue weight. I have tundra brakes on my 4runner as well, but they aren't beneficial when all the weight is pulled off the front end. You could do a WD hitch, but in the end I would prefer to tow with leaf springs out back rather than coil springs. Also, the longer wheelbase of the Taco will be beneficial

just my 2 cents
Old 12-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
I would use the Taco...I have a 97 4Runner with OME suspension, and an 03 taco double cab. They both are 3.4 autos

Its unreal how much the 4runner squats with a little tongue weight. I have tundra brakes on my 4runner as well, but they aren't beneficial when all the weight is pulled off the front end. You could do a WD hitch, but in the end I would prefer to tow with leaf springs out back rather than coil springs. Also, the longer wheelbase of the Taco will be beneficial

just my 2 cents
Very good points Nate the coils do bounce more and sag more than leafs. Also I agree with the longer wheel base as well
Old 12-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd use the taco. Better power transfer with the manual and no transmission overheat issues with a Manual. Plus the longer wheelbase will give better control, as will the stiffer leaf sprung rear over the link/coil rear on the 4runner.
My $.02

BTW- nice looking 'runner.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #13

68dave's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. I never considered the difference in wheelbase. I was leaning towards the taco because of its man. trans. I need a class 3 frame hitch for the taco and since i wanted to replace the damaged rear bumper anyway i was wondering if anybody offers a rear bumper {plate or tube style} with a class 3 hitch built into it?