1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing(dinghy) my Tacoma with an RV

Discussion in 'Towing' started by reyco50, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Dec 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    reyco50

reyco50 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    V6 Prerunner TRD
    Hello, I realize many posts are out there about this but I have not seen a a "definitive" answer stating the conditions by which I can tow my 2006 v6 Prerunner 2rwd auto without getting into thousands of dollars of cost. I wanted to post my question more like a statement and ask if the following is correct based on what I know so far. **Any reason I can't tow my Tacoma all 4 on the road(dinghy style) with my RV if I have the appropriate base plate, tow bar, accessories including an additional braking system if I "disconnect" my driveshaft, thus completely disconnecting(mechanically) the auto transmission from the differential???? I realize there's disconnect shafts kits out there but they run typically over a $1000 and there seems to be some concern on their reliability and strength/balance issue if left in all the time. From what I can tell, the Prerunner driveshaft has 4 bolts at the differential side that appears to come off easy and I believe I can safely and reliably install a bracket or something similar to suspend the driveshaft out of the way when disconnected without having to completely remove it. If so, it wouldn't be that much work to disconnect and reconnect when needed and this way I can keep the original drive shaft without sending it off for a permanent modification that I might regret. Any first hand knowledge or experience with what I'm proposing would be appreciated. Thank you….jerry

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top