Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Gooseneck towing capacity 2012 4x4 Sport quad cab

Old 01-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
4Gallo is on a distinguished road
4Gallo's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Gooseneck towing capacity 2012 4x4 Sport quad cab

I'm wondering if I can increase the towing capacity of my Tacoma if I get a gooseneck hitch. Highways, dirt roads, mountains and long pulls if desired. Anybody with experience or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. i'm looking at a 25' camping trailer.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Poor College Student
User Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUser Name01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar....El Yoghurt
User Name01's Tacoma Gallery
That would be a lot more than what would be considered safe......just my $0.02. Just think about how much weight would be in the bed and you still have the towing weight to consider.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
It may actually tow a little better but it will definitely not increase capacity. Usually if you need a gooseneck its better to upgrade to a bigger truck.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
SSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura about
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
Gooseneck in a composite bed?No good!!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Someone here did it and documented the hitch install, but I wouldn't ever recommend it.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
Nick82 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Nick
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
Funny you asked, I just saw this truck and trailer today. He was pulling out of a gas station which sucks because I really wanted to ask him how it pulled and get a picture of his hitch. I tried to attach a picture we will see if it works or not. If not I will try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Gooseneck towing capacity 2012 4x4 Sport quad cab-image.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
SSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura aboutSSG665 has a spectacular aura about
SSG665's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick82 View Post
Funny you asked, I just saw this truck and trailer today. He was pulling out of a gas station which sucks because I really wanted to ask him how it pulled and get a picture of his hitch. I tried to attach a picture we will see if it works or not. If not I will try again.
I can promise you he is over max weight with that older 5th wheel.Problem is if u have an accident and someone gets injured or killed you can be in big time legal trouble being over weight..
Old 01-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
na8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Name: Mark
na8rboy's Tacoma Gallery
That's insane... No one in their right mind would do this.

That should go in the goofiest pic thread, and WTF thread.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
PattonT is on a distinguished road
Army: 25 id
PattonT's Tacoma Gallery
Unless that 5th wheel has been gutted I guarantee that is 8klbs plus.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
^8k is probably a good estimate. The gooseneck usually carries 25% of the weight. So 2k lbs on the bed. Eff that!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #11
PattonT is on a distinguished road
Army: 25 id
PattonT's Tacoma Gallery
To make matters worse it is a 5ft bed so the hitch is probably slightly behind the axle instead of slightly in front or directly over it. Who takes a lawnmower camping anyway?

Edit: The trailer may be lighter than I thought, most 25-27' 5th wheels are around 6500lbs. How long is that one?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:32 AM   #12
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonT View Post
Who takes a lawnmower camping anyway?
He's probably moving his house.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #14
Firefighter:
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
It was a long bed, but that doesn't make it any safer.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #15
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick82 View Post
You got to be &^*$() me! That's nuts guess he climbs most hills in low gear and stays 97 car lengths behind other cars. He was pulling out of a gas station for good reason hope there is another one in about 100 miles.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #16
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Properly installed fifth wheels don't mount to the bed, doesn't matter if it's composite or not.
Regardless, the pic a few posts up is most likely overweight, which I'm not condoning.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #17
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
There have been successful installs and pulls of a Scamp 5th wheel (not a true 5th wheel hitch) with Tacomas
Old 01-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #18
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
Someone here did it and documented the hitch install, but I wouldn't ever recommend it.
Toyota doesn't either read the owners manual.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #19
4Gallo is on a distinguished road
4Gallo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everybody. That is what I was looking for. Good discussion. Thanks for the Picture. I wish you could have talked to him too. It looks a lot bigger than what I'm planning. I'm looking at a 22.5' which is under the 6500 lb limit giving room for gear and water. I've had a goose-neck horse trailer before and they pull like a dream, but I had a full size truck then. Now I have my dream truck tacoma and would still like to go camping with the wife.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #20
Firefighter:
Nick82's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion I would have no hesitation install a gooseneck hitch in my tacoma as long as the trailer when loaded did not exceed any of the trucks stock limitations, having to facto in gross trailer weight and bed weight. Overall they are safer trailers to pull however very easy to overload without it being obvious by looking at it!