Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

New sub-forum for offroad - overland trailers

Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #21
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
What does the inside of that look like ?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #22
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Some of you may have seen this already but I thought it was worth sharing.

There is a fair amount of consistent buzz and interest in off-road trailers. I totally get it. I started day dreaming about building a trailer at least 15 years ago. After 8 years I finally built one and it's been one of the best things I've ever done to help me enjoy offroading/camping with my family. But there are a lot of things to consider before diving into a trailer project. There is definitely something to the "cool" factor of a trailer, I can't deny that. That is part of what gets people excited to build/modify one. But having a trailer can bring some challenges along with it, not to even address the expense that can grow quickly if you're not careful.

Anyway....I won't get too long winded with this but I wanted to share this article that I think is very well thought out and addresses a lot of the pros/cons of a trailer and can help anyone decided if it's worth it.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php...iler-Conundrum
Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #23
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Some of you may have seen this already but I thought it was worth sharing.

There is a fair amount of consistent buzz and interest in off-road trailers. I totally get it. I started day dreaming about building a trailer at least 15 years ago. After 8 years I finally built one and it's been one of the best things I've ever done to help me enjoy offroading/camping with my family. But there are a lot of things to consider before diving into a trailer project. There is definitely something to the "cool" factor of a trailer, I can't deny that. That is part of what gets people excited to build/modify one. But having a trailer can bring some challenges along with it, not to even address the expense that can grow quickly if you're not careful.

Anyway....I won't get too long winded with this but I wanted to share this article that I think is very well thought out and addresses a lot of the pros/cons of a trailer and can help anyone decided if it's worth it.

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php...iler-Conundrum
Those are some neat looking units in that thread. I liked those Aussie configs you posted about earlier in this thread, the Conqueror and KimberlyKamper.

The thing for me is fresh water. How much can one of those units take, or do you have to carry cans? Either way it's a lot of weight. Sometimes you're limited how long you can stay at a certain spot by how much fresh water you have onboard.

Yeah, there's a lot of options, including what I've done in the past, a reverse-osmosis water filter, or buying these packaged moist towelettes like you get at restaurants. I like to stay clean while roughing it, and them kids get unbelievably dirty. I started buying those "moist towelletes" like Fingerbowl brand 5000 at a time online. A family of four can rip through 200 of them a day, but you stay clean, they're lightweight, keep forever, and you keep your fresh water for drinking on extended outback trips. And Utah, as I well know, is pretty much outback.

Also, if you're carrying gas cans refilling your generator or truck, the towelletes clean up that gasoline stench nicely. I hate that stench and there will certainly be spillage while using gas cans.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #24
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Water is a key component to a lot of trailers. 20 gal tanks are pretty reasonable to carry on most purpose built small offroad trailers. Depending on the space requirements you have you might be able to carry more. Many use small water pumps with shower attachments. On my personal trailer I carry 10 gal of water in two LCI water cans. But I also carry a MSR gravity feed water filter than can filter water a gallon at a time. It's really a nice peice of equipment.

I don't worry about the weight on my trailer much because my trailer has a 3500# axle and matching weight springs. The springs are generally way too stiff, but with fairly low air pressure in the tires the trailer handles really well. But the loaded weight of my trailer is probably less that 1500lbs so there is still room to add more weight like a larger water tank. That's part of my long term plans for the trailer, it just hasn't happened yet.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #25
Neighborhood Know-it-all

bumping this

Old 02-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #26
JonathanN has much to be proud ofJonathanN has much to be proud ofJonathanN has much to be proud ofJonathanN has much to be proud ofJonathanN has much to be proud ofJonathanN has much to be proud ofJonathanN has much to be proud ofJonathanN has much to be proud ofJonathanN has much to be proud ofJonathanN has much to be proud of

Name: Jonathan
JonathanN's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd