Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

New sub-forum for offroad - overland trailers

Old 01-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
New sub-forum for offroad - overland trailers

I propose a new sub forum be created here that is dedicated to off road camping and overland travel type trailers. There is lots and lots of general towing information here in the main section, but more and more people are building and buying small rugged offroad trailers and a sub forum specifically dedicated to these types of trailers would be a great resource.

Can I get a "hell yes"?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
robu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob1224
robu's Tacoma Gallery
HELL YEA!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
A Jayco Baja is supposedly a good offroad trailer. I looked at one before I bought the Kodiak 166E. Here's a discussion about it:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...print/true.cfm

And specs on it:

http://www.jayco.com/products/campin...oorplans-specs

Pros (compared to a hybrid trailer like my Kodiak, or other hybrids - Jayco, quite a few other brands):

*13" ground clearance, low profile while traveling.
*Large toy-hauler area on front of trailer, as well as outside storage
*DC/AC converter in the trailer
*Sewage drain pipes and valves are up high as a result of the 13" ground clearance

And that's about it for the pros, IMO.

Cons (again compared to a hybrid):

*Tiny refrigerator.
*Lack of secure inside storage.
*Lack of inside storage period when traveling
*Outside shower.
*Lack of privacy and conveniences in the bathroom.
*Small fresh water/black/grey tanks. (In fairness, a lot of the hybrids have small tanks. One of the main reasons I got this Kodiak is because it has the huge 52-gallon fresh water tank as well as black/grey tanks that are 2-3 times larger than other makes).
*Only 150 lbs less dry weight than a hybrid
*Just as expensive as a hybrid
*Air conditioner has to be bought as an option
*Smaller furnace
*Huge tongue weight when the front storage area is loaded up.

The main problem with the Kodiak is the lack of ground clearance. It has about 6" as is with the 205/75/14 tires on it. It's possible to do an axle flip (which is how the Baja gets that 13" of ground clearance), but then you run into maybe some stability issues on the highway. It's a wide trailer, 8-ft, so that is helpful.

I figure I can get a 225/75/15 tire on it though, so that gives me 2" more ground clearance right there. In fact, I'm pretty sure a 15" Toyota truck wheel will fit the axles with the 4.5" 5-lug pattern.

The problem with hybrid trailers is the low-hanging sewage pipes and valves, maybe the rear stabilizer jacks, maybe too long of a rear porch if you get too long of a trailer. Everything else is pretty high up.

I figure just the 15" tires get me up to 8" of ground clearance, that's a big help.

Aaaaand, that's my contribution. I did quite a bit of research since I was considering offroading with the trailer as part of the buying process.
Attached Thumbnails
New sub-forum for offroad - overland trailers-mesquite.nv.12.19.13.truck.trailer.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bump....

I'm talking more about trailers like these.....but larger professionally built ones are fine too as long as they are OFFROAD trailers like the Kimberly Kamper or Conqueror Compact etc.

Mine.

Jberry's.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wow, those Kimberly's and Conqueror's are awesome looking setups.

http://www.conqueror.co.za/index.php

http://www.kimberleykampers.com/off-...amper-trailers
Old 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Great set-up Adam, your SD pics are awesome! How the heck are you transporting a family of 6 in a 5 seater?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Great set-up Adam, your SD pics are awesome! How the heck are you transporting a family of 6 in a 5 seater?

Thanks. There are details in my build thread on the seating for 7.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
scollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Scott
scollins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
Pros (compared to a hybrid trailer like my Kodiak, or other hybrids - Jayco, quite a few other brands):

*13" ground clearance, low profile while traveling.
*Large toy-hauler area on front of trailer, as well as outside storage
*DC/AC converter in the trailer
*Sewage drain pipes and valves are up high as a result of the 13" ground clearance

And that's about it for the pros, IMO.
I have a Starcraft 11RT, which is similar to the Jayco Baja. Seems to be the only picture I have at the moment....

Here are a few more "Pros" I think you missed. Some are situation-dependent of course:
*Storage of the RV itself.

-My 11RT fits in my garage, can't do that with a hybrid or traditional Travel Trailer (TT). As I live in an HOA area, I either park an RV in my garage or pay for off-site storage. Around here that runs about $75/month for outdoor, uncovered space with no power/water.

*Towing of the RV.

-Towing a pop-up is way easier than a TT. It has less wind resistance, both from the front and sides (sway.)

*Height of the trailer

-Only really an issue if you take it off-road in heavily wooded areas. But still something to consider.

Mine also has shocks on the axle, which really helps it off-road, as well as when towing.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I have a Starcraft 11RT, which is similar to the Jayco Baja. Seems to be the only picture I have at the moment....

Here are a few more "Pros" I think you missed. Some are situation-dependent of course:
*Storage of the RV itself.

-My 11RT fits in my garage, can't do that with a hybrid or traditional Travel Trailer (TT). As I live in an HOA area, I either park an RV in my garage or pay for off-site storage. Around here that runs about $75/month for outdoor, uncovered space with no power/water.

*Towing of the RV.

-Towing a pop-up is way easier than a TT. It has less wind resistance, both from the front and sides (sway.)

*Height of the trailer

-Only really an issue if you take it off-road in heavily wooded areas. But still something to consider.

Mine also has shocks on the axle, which really helps it off-road, as well as when towing.
Yeah, the shocks are a big deal, never thought of that, as well as garage storage ability. Tell you the truth what sold me on this trailer was the huge 52 gallon fresh water tank, and the equally huge black and grey water tanks. Nothing else I looked at had those capacities. That means you can stay offroad for a longer time before you have to look for a place to refresh or dump.

That Starcraft/Baja is a nice rig, though. That 11RT, do they even sell that anymore? I see that 11RT has a 35 gallon fresh water tank, that's pretty good. The Jayco Baja is 30 gallon.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all

EMS:
Name: Tyler Addison Rush III
2stroketrush's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Bump....

I'm talking more about trailers like these.....but larger professionally built ones are fine too as long as they are OFFROAD trailers like the Kimberly Kamper or Conqueror Compact etc.

Mine.

Jberry's.
That looks awesome Boxrocket, do you have a build page or shots of it in use for it?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #11
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
In. Going to be building one sometime soon.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
NetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Tim
NetDep's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to see this topic. Mine just got a little bit of attention in a blog:

http://tinyyellowteardrop.blogspot.com/

I have a flickr page dedicated to my Tacoma and Little Guy Teardrop:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/netdep/...7626824134599/

The trailer is a 6X10 Silver Shadow on a Rough Rider frame and the color is matched to my MGM Tacoma and also has matching wheels/tires (a major pain trust me!!). Creature comforts include upgraded entertainment system, stove and sink not to mention a king size bed. I have not had much chance to get off-road with the trailer - new this past late summer - but have plans to get her out more this coming summer. It has a pintle hitch and beefy skid plate...couple of pics if you don't feel like clicking....
Attached Thumbnails
New sub-forum for offroad - overland trailers-memaloose_med_blur.jpg   New sub-forum for offroad - overland trailers-memaloose_med_galley_blur.jpg   New sub-forum for offroad - overland trailers-toltmcdonaldnov.jpg  
Old 01-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroketrush View Post
That looks awesome Boxrocket, do you have a build page or shots of it in use for it?
Jberry's trailer build
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ler-build.html

Box Rocket Trailer build
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ler-build.html
Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all2stroketrush is a name known to all

EMS:
Name: Tyler Addison Rush III
2stroketrush's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You sir. Are the Man
Old 01-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #16
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDep View Post
Glad to see this topic. Mine just got a little bit of attention in a blog:

http://tinyyellowteardrop.blogspot.com/

I have a flickr page dedicated to my Tacoma and Little Guy Teardrop:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/netdep/...7626824134599/

The trailer is a 6X10 Silver Shadow on a Rough Rider frame and the color is matched to my MGM Tacoma and also has matching wheels/tires (a major pain trust me!!). Creature comforts include upgraded entertainment system, stove and sink not to mention a king size bed. I have not had much chance to get off-road with the trailer - new this past late summer - but have plans to get her out more this coming summer. It has a pintle hitch and beefy skid plate...couple of pics if you don't feel like clicking....

That's a good looking teardrop. I appreciate the details of a nicely built teardrop but they just wouldn't work for me. Most teardrops are too long for the places I'd like to take it and there is too much body to worry about damaging. More importantly I don't like that I'd have to unpack my gear from the trailer before I can sleep inside.

teardrops work great for some, but it's a smaller trailer with RTT that works best for me.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #17
NetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Tim
NetDep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's a good looking teardrop. I appreciate the details of a nicely built teardrop but they just wouldn't work for me. Most teardrops are too long for the places I'd like to take it and there is too much body to worry about damaging. More importantly I don't like that I'd have to unpack my gear from the trailer before I can sleep inside.

teardrops work great for some, but it's a smaller trailer with RTT that works best for me.
Thanks for the good words!! To each their own but I don't unpack anything...I unhitch, plug in (if shore power) and hop in to watch TV or a movie and stretch out in a king size bed.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #18
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Great idea Adam!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #19
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Bout damn time!