Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Best place to connect recovery strap?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember.
ANYTHING can fail.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #22
Solve et Coagula
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silence9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
When you do tow someone out try to tow from the rear of your truck. In reverse you are putting strain on the weak side of the gear and more prone to making it go boom.
Definitely. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #24
Solve et Coagula
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Just remember.
ANYTHING can fail.
Usually the operator But seriously, I've seen damage done from recovering myself. My old buddy years ago towed a Dodge Omni little hatchback out of the mud. He connected it to either the axle or the FWD shaft (I wasn't there, but saw the aftermath) He got it unstuck, at the cost of a front wheel with mad camber.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #25
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence9 View Post
Usually the operator But seriously, I've seen damage done from recovering myself. My old buddy years ago towed a Dodge Omni little hatchback out of the mud. He connected it to either the axle or the FWD shaft (I wasn't there, but saw the aftermath) He got it unstuck, at the cost of a front wheel with mad camber.
Hehehebyea that's what the "t"slots were for...
Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #27
Solve et Coagula

Maybe it's jus the angle of the picture, but wouldn't that interfere with your skid plate?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence9 View Post
Maybe it's jus the angle of the picture, but wouldn't that interfere with your skid plate?
Wouldn't make a difference . It will bend like a pretzel anyway.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #30
DougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Doug
DougDeBonet's Tacoma Gallery
Best place to connect recovery strap?

I'm in the market for a shackle mount receiver myself but I don't trust the smittybilt because it's made in China, the only other ones I see are warn, rugged ridge and superwinch.

Probably going to get either CM or ARB d rings

Edit just found this on eBay, solid with a 10,000 pound rating

http://bit.ly/1fmPRqD
Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #31
DougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shedDougDeBonet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Doug
DougDeBonet's Tacoma Gallery
Okay found elite off-road makes them! You can order from the website!

http://www.eliteoffroadproducts.com/...eiver-shackle/
Old 01-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #32
bvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: pat
Location: Upstate South Carolina near Spartanburg but have lived lots of places
bvlpxm's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

No extras needed unless you are pulling at a bad angle & fear cutting the strap ( but never had this happen) I just insert the loop of the recovery strap into the reciever and put the pin thru the loop. Not so good with chains or hooks but works well with nylon straps or even looped cable. never cut a strap yet. 30 yrs worth & many vehicles.

Just 1 less thing to carry
Old 01-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #33
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlpxm View Post
No extras needed unless you are pulling at a bad angle & fear cutting the strap ( but never had this happen) I just insert the loop of the recovery strap into the reciever and put the pin thru the loop. Not so good with chains or hooks but works well with nylon straps or even looped cable. never cut a strap yet. 30 yrs worth & many vehicles.

Just 1 less thing to carry
I do the same, works fine.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #34
woodencanoe is on a distinguished road
Name: Bahhb
woodencanoe's Tacoma Gallery
Towing newbie here too. A question - is it advantageous to pull with a Y -shaped set up? Or?