Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Best place to connect recovery strap?

Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Solve et Coagula
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silence9's Tacoma Gallery
Best place to connect recovery strap?

Hey everyone. What is the best place to connect a recovery strap to 2nd gen Tacomas? There are those two holes in the steel near the receiver, or the receiver itself? Is it safe to put the loop inside the receiver and hold it in with a pin? My ex hit the ditch twice in one day and I didn't have a strap in my truck so I am in the market for a 3" 30' one. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
The receiver is the best place. A couple companies sell shackles that go in the receiver. I have a warn one and its worked very well for me.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
Solve et Coagula
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Like as in a D-Ring, or just a heavy duty pin? I've heard using those D-Rings is just about as bad as using hooks.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence9 View Post
Hey everyone. What is the best place to connect a recovery strap to 2nd gen Tacomas? There are those two holes in the steel near the receiver, or the receiver itself? Is it safe to put the loop inside the receiver and hold it in with a pin? My ex hit the ditch twice in one day and I didn't have a strap in my truck so I am in the market for a 3" 30' one. Thanks in advance for any input.
The main idea is not to twist the frame while pulling. A center pull is the best.
Some use a insert with a d ring, some a hook. A loop and pin will work.
I try to stay away from a loop end and hook. Seen some disconnects that could have caused some damage and injury.
Just some common sense goes a long way.
Make secure connections, clear the area, and pull smartly.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Solve et Coagula

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/curt/DCP_1253.jpg
Is a pin strong enough to handle recovering a stuck truck like so?
Or is something like this better:
http://www.van-cafe.com/shop/images/...PERSHACKLE.jpg

Edit: Thanks Mike, you posted same time I did.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like as in a D-Ring, or just a heavy duty pin? I've heard using those D-Rings is just about as bad as using hooks.

Like this , it's goes in the hitch receiver

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ing_p_283.html
Old 01-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

This
Old 01-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
Solve et Coagula

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

Thank you. So those D-rings are safe for a massive load without breaking? Heard too many horror stories about hooks and rings. I will go check out Princess Auto and see if they have any. I'm not sure where else will have them other than online
Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Solve et Coagula

Another question. If she or anyone else I tow out of the ditch doesn't have that part and they probably wont, where is the best place to connect to theirs? Sry for being a towing newb.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
voodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shedvoodoojk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

voodoojk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you. So those D-rings are safe for a massive load without breaking? Heard too many horror stories about hooks and rings. I will go check out Princess Auto and see if they have any. I'm not sure where else will have them other than online
Yes they are made for that. I never heard of a shackle breaking but I'm sure somebody has. Not sure about canada, but most agriculture like stores ( tractor supply type place ) or even trailer store should have them.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Another question. If she or anyone else I tow out of the ditch doesn't have that part and they probably wont, where is the best place to connect to theirs? Sry for being a towing newb.
I've recovered hundreds of cars and trucks and the each vehicle is different with different hook points and angles.unless you hook with the right equipment and pull correctly, major damage will occure. And you will be liable for your error In judgement. My advise is stick to your own and similar vehicles that you know and leave the others alone. I've seen MAJOR damage done before I got there and it was a simple extraction.
In this case being a Good Samaritan will burn you.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Those hitches are nice. Strap wont fall off.

the second gens don't come with a front recovery point?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
Canadian Taco 705 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Canadian Taco 705's Tacoma Gallery
Go to princess auto- its like crack for me- they got everything you will ever need.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #15
Solve et Coagula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
I've recovered hundreds of cars and trucks and the each vehicle is different with different hook points and angles.unless you hook with the right equipment and pull correctly, major damage will occure. And you will be liable for your error In judgement. My advise is stick to your own and similar vehicles that you know and leave the others alone. I've seen MAJOR damage done before I got there and it was a simple extraction.
In this case being a Good Samaritan will burn you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post

Thanks for the advice, I don't want to be wrecking my truck or anyone else's, but I do want to help when I can. It makes sense that you can incur major damage if you pull at an angle or from the wrong point, but going relatively straight shouldn't harm it right? These aren't Hyundai's

Your picture didn't work capetaco.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #16
Solve et Coagula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Taco 705 View Post
Go to princess auto- its like crack for me- they got everything you will ever need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
Instead of using a D-ring hitch i just put the loop of the recovery strap over the ball on the hitch....the D-ring is probably safer and won't come loose but i haven't justified the $30-40 yet.
Agreed! Princess Auto is the best.

I've heard you shouldn't connect it to a ball, it may shear off.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post

right side has a "T" slot
And a loop on the left.
At least on my 11...
Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #18
Don't Let Your Meatloaf
AR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAR15xAR10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AR15xAR10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Noted...It may, but i've never seen it. Yanked out bushes, pulled on stumps (with other trucks)...never sheared one off but i bet it wouldn't be a healthy experience to any by standers....

Seen one if these on a chevy full size sheared off...but never a ball...

Old 01-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #19
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I don't want to be wrecking my truck or anyone else's, but I do want to help when I can. It makes sense that you can incur major damage if you pull at an angle or from the wrong point, but going relatively straight shouldn't harm it right? These aren't Hyundai's

Your picture didn't work capetaco.
Yea I deleted it darn computer. The ones with the d-ring are preferred BC you can leave the strap attached and hung in the bed. They also have one with a steel hook welded to it. (they are less prone to failure than the ones on a strap.) When you do tow someone out try to tow from the rear of your truck. In reverse you are putting strain on the weak side of the gear and more prone to making it go boom.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Agreed! Princess Auto is the best.

A ball has one secured point.
I guess it's possible although I have not seen it however I would be more worried of it popping off.
Yes and don't pull from a modern bumper. That's an instant fail....