Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Good sources for quality 4-pin trailer light harness?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
jaymoussy is on a distinguished road
jaymoussy's Tacoma Gallery
Question Good sources for quality 4-pin trailer light harness?

New forum member here, and still shopping for my first Taco..

I will be doing light, very short distance towing (small boat to boat ramp, four miles max.), and am thinking of adding aftermarket tow setup to the Taco I may buy - lots without tow package, much to my surprise!

What are good sources for a quality 4-pin trailer light harness?

Still searching for a good pictorial, which I may find here. I am not very good at automotive electrics...!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak for the the tacoma specifically as mine came with the tow package, but I have placed them in several vehicles in the past and they are very simple, plug and play type of wiring. I have used Reese with good results
Old 01-19-2014, 04:14 AM   #3
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
In my area it's actually harder to find one without the tow package. If you have a small boat then an aftermarket hitch and harness should be fine

If at any time over the ownership of your tacoma you might upgrade and tow something bigger you probably would be better served with a truck with the factory tow package from the start

Good luck with the hunt!!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmn7 View Post

If at any time over the ownership of your tacoma you might upgrade and tow something bigger you probably would be better served with a truck with the factory tow package from the start

Good luck with the hunt!!
Thanks mdc.

I agree with the above, and it may never come to that.

I would be towing a 17 ft Boston Whaler, 40 hp motor, not much else, at most. Heck, a 4-cyl would work, biggest task would be the sometimes steep boat ramp -whole package would be 2000 lbs.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:03 AM   #5
Question

I just learned that there is a Toyota add-on harness, with full protection, going from front of truck to back.

Question is, how hard is it to install?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
taco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco206's Tacoma Gallery
Search "Insert year here Tacoma T-connector" and should pop up. They're cheap and available in town at RV places, your napas, oreillys. I use one on my 05 Tacoma, its easy to install. If you wanted to get a 7 pin round plug installed, id recommend going to a shop for that and from there you could convert down to a 4 pin (But thats expensive $300?). But the T-connector quick connect works just great and aftermarket hitches are cheap and easy to install too.

btw, I tow alot more than you plan to tow on my 4 cylinder, so you will be fine there. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
kemosabee is on a distinguished road

Name: James
kemosabee's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kemosabee Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabee
I went with a setup like this, the curt t connector on mine.

http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2001_Toyota_Tacoma.htm