1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing 2 horses with tacoma

Discussion in 'Towing' started by gallopping girl, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Jan 20, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    gallopping girl

gallopping girl [OP] New Member

Member:
    arroyo grande CA
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    Hi Guys and Girls,
    I want to buy a tacoma for towing a horse trailer and 2 horses, total weight 3500lbs. So I am looking at a V6 with tow package. Can afford about 20K to spend on it. This would be a 2006 or 2007 with about 90K miles in my area. My question is: Is that mileage too high to be safe to use for towing? I would only use it about once a week locally so wouldnt put a lot of additional miles on it..
    Thanks!

2. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Absolutely no problem whatsoever.

3. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    x2.

nothing wrong with towing frequently with a rig that has around 100k.

just of course keep up on the regular maintenance like fluids and brakes because they will see more wear from the frequent towing

welcome to the forum :wave:

4. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    make sure they have the tow package and you will be fine.

5. Jan 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    gallopping girl

gallopping girl [OP] New Member

Member:
    arroyo grande CA
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    Wow, thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback! Will do as advised:)

6. Sep 4, 2014 at 5:47 AM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6
    OP - what brand horse trailer are you using? Looking for one for our two horses.

Thanks.

7. Sep 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM
    Smar969905

Smar969905 ToyotaLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Deer Park, WA
    Vehicle:
    96 Dodge 12valve cummins- mine, 16 T4R - wife's, 11 Taco - totalled
    3500 lbs on 2 horses and trailer? That seems light unless you are using mini horses. I pull my 2 horse trailer with my 4 cylinder, but only 1 horse at a time.

Just be prepared to add the brake controller yourself. They don't come with one, but they do have the 7 pin round harness from the factory.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  8. Sep 8, 2014 at 5:54 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I tow a three horse trailer at 2991# w/ my two horses and it does great. Get a good brake controller and remember that you are driving a different vehicle than your unloaded truck and you'll be all set with a Tacoma.

9. Sep 8, 2014 at 5:59 AM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6
    Thanks Brunes. Do you have a link to the brand and model of your trailer? Most trailer websites don't list the trailer gross trailer weight (GTW).

10. Sep 8, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I have a Shadow Select 3 Horse slant load. All Alum and trailer brakes on every axle were my two requirements and this one nailed it.

I found it from a dealer in MS, where it had been slightly damaged so they were willing to deal in order to not have to send it back. And TBH, if the GTW isn't listed, that's not a dealer I'd want to buy from. Everywhere I shopped for this trailer and all the places I looked for the enclosed I wanted to buy had it pretty clearly listed cause it matters.

Products Discussed in

To Top