Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

where do you put your bicycles when you tow your tent trailer

Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
where do you put your bicycles when you tow your tent trailer

So I have a pop up tent trailer and would like to take 5 bicycles with me when we go camping. 3 are kids and 1 for and and 1 for my wife.
normally there are stuff at on the truck bed so not sure if I can put it on top of everything and then strap them down.
any ideas? is there a bicycle hithch that I can put on top of the trailer hithch?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
That's tricky. One camping trip I had 4 bikes to transport so I put all of the gear in my travel trailer and put the bikes in the bed with the front wheel hanging over the tailgate with a blanket underneath. But it looks like it's going to be more difficult for you since a tent trailer doesn't have as much storage space as a TT.

I would probably suggest a roof rack. You can fit 2, maybe 3 bikes up there, and then put the rest in the bed with all of your gear.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
JUJtacoma2010 is on a distinguished road
JUJtacoma2010's Tacoma Gallery
roof rack is a nice idea. I never thought of that
Old 01-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah I'd see if you can fit 3 up there - 2 facing forward, and 1 in the middle facing the rear. Or vice versa
Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
What about something like this? a hitch rack that has another hitch to hook up your trailer to.

http://www.discountramps.com/towing-...FecRMwodHk4AVg
Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter247 View Post
What about something like this? a hitch rack that has another hitch to hook up your trailer to.

http://www.discountramps.com/towing-...FecRMwodHk4AVg
I'd be careful with something like that, especially if it's a trailer behind it. Sharp turns or turning while backing up can cause the bikes to hit the trailer.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
jimlmackjr is on a distinguished road
Army: 3-8 Cav
Name: JimE
jimlmackjr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post

What Brand Topper is there
Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Snugtop XTR
Old 02-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
robm7 is on a distinguished road

robm7's Tacoma Gallery
I have same dilemma; I have bad shoulders to lift a bicycle above my head so a roof rack is outta question. Besides my bikes are heavy. I like either a front hitch or a rear hitch carrier that has a pass thru for the ball
Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm7 View Post
I have same dilemma; I have bad shoulders to lift a bicycle above my head so a roof rack is outta question. Besides my bikes are heavy. I like either a front hitch or a rear hitch carrier that has a pass thru for the ball
If I were you, I'd add a rear receiver hitch to the trailer and use a hitch rack for bikes off the back of the trailer.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #12

robm7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
If I were you, I'd add a rear receiver hitch to the trailer and use a hitch rack for bikes off the back of the trailer.

My trailers frame and bumper are aluminum. I was thinking of this
Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #13
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm7 View Post
My trailers frame and bumper are aluminum. I was thinking of this
Don't , you'll bend or twist your bumper. Alumium is not strong enough to support the wieght.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #14
jimlmackjr is on a distinguished road
Army: 3-8 Cav
Name: JimE
jimlmackjr's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking for why to mount my bikes and I decided to do it this way
it on the ghetto side but works very well. If is fixed so it cant be moved around but I only carry 3 bikes facing forwards and I can carry 2 back facing the rear
Here what I did

here another pic

Old 02-22-2014, 04:13 AM   #15

robm7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
Don't , you'll bend or twist your bumper. Alumium is not strong enough to support the wieght.

Ok you convinced me enough. Decided to sell our heavy bicycles for folding ones.