Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Trailer Sway Control

Old 01-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Gypsy Russ is on a distinguished road
Gypsy Russ's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer Sway Control

I'm considering trading in my '06 for a new Tacoma with towing package. The package comes with "trailer sway control", which, according to Toyota's brochures, is an electronic system that actuates trailer brakes for sway control (footnote 25 in disclosure section of brochure). Anybody know how such a system works? How does a sensor on the truck know how to apply trailer brakes to reduce sway? Does it apply both brakes or just one side? Seems like the mechanical systems that use friction would work easier. Or, I could just use the lever on my brake controller that applies trailer brakes without using the truck brake pedal, right?
Old 01-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Russ View Post
I'm considering trading in my '06 for a new Tacoma with towing package. The package comes with "trailer sway control", which, according to Toyota's brochures, is an electronic system that actuates trailer brakes for sway control (footnote 25 in disclosure section of brochure). Anybody know how such a system works? How does a sensor on the truck know how to apply trailer brakes to reduce sway? Does it apply both brakes or just one side? Seems like the mechanical systems that use friction would work easier. Or, I could just use the lever on my brake controller that applies trailer brakes without using the truck brake pedal, right?
That's a good question, my answer is I don't know. Just a guess, maybe the truck senses the rear end of the truck swaying and sends some signals through the 7-pin to the trailer brakes? I've been in some stiff crosswinds and I have no idea if or what the truck does to compensate. I figure the trailer sway control would only engage if you engage the brakes?

All I know is the trailer I have, with a straight hitch does well in crosswinds. I HAD the Equalizer WDH with 4-way sway control, and tore it up going mildly offroad. That hitch was bent, the hookup on the trailer side was sliding no matter how much I tried to torque it down. Even the giant bolts on the truck side came loose, had to get them impact-wrenched again at Camping World.

I finally said enough of this, I'm not gonna pull that hitch every time I go off a paved road. Went to the straight hitch for $36, put some Timbren bumpstops on the rear, and so far so good. There's better options for the rear end for towing, more expensive and fool around with the stock geometry, but all in all the truck does well with just the straight hitch.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
52motorhead is on a distinguished road

52motorhead's Tacoma Gallery
I do believe it only works the truck brakes .
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
Knows a little about a lot
LuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shedLuckyCharms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
LuckyCharms's Tacoma Gallery
As I understand it:

It applies the trailer brakes by themselves. Most (if not all) trailer brakes cannot be applied one side at a time and an 7 pin connector does not provide that option. Once it detects sway caused by the trailer, it will apply the trailer brakes. By applying the trailer brakes, it creates a huge load on the truck causing the entire train to straighten out. (think of pushing a wet string into a straw versus pulling a wet string through a straw.) How it detects sway of the trailer, I don't know. Again, I could be wrong, but that is how I understand it.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Gypsy Russ is on a distinguished road
Gypsy Russ's Tacoma Gallery
I think I have the answer and Lucky Charm, is, I believe, correct. Somehow (don't know how) the system senses when a trailer is attached and, under bad sway, it applies both trailer brakes. At least that's what the dealership said when I asked the question.