Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing and wheel spacers - any issues?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #21
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE STRAIT View Post
I'm not buying the assertion that wheels are just as likely to break off while in motion as a wheel spacer

Well then you would be incorrect
Old 06-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #22
wake100 is on a distinguished road
wake100's Tacoma Gallery

Well say what you want but it's not a secret cast aluminum isn't as strong as billet. I learned that when screwing around with paintball crap years ago.

I got my spacers for cosmetic at this point. Put my tires out exactly where I wanted. I also got them for future plans of lift and bigger tires one day.

I personally don't see the difference between the spacers and wheels with different offset, either way the tires are farther out than designed. I know it hasn't been brought up yet but that's going to be shortly...
Old 06-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE STRAIT View Post
I'm not buying the assertion that wheels are just as likely to break off while in motion as a wheel spacer
x2. I understand wheel studs are more prone to breaking off due to improper applied torque but with spacers, you've just doubled the chance for failure. There's an added failure point. Before you just had 6 wheel studs that need to be properly and evenly torqued per wheel, with spacers you have 12. All things being equal, that's still double the chance of failure.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #24
wake100's Tacoma Gallery

How? Using an impact or torque wrench? I used to work installing tires and all I will say about that and the dipshits I worked with is there is a reason I do my own work...
Old 06-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #25
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2. I understand wheel studs are more prone to breaking off due to improper applied torque but with spacers, you've just doubled the chance for failure. There's an added failure point. Before you just had 6 wheel studs that need to be properly and evenly torqued per wheel, with spacers you have 12. All things being equal, that's still double the chance of failure.

Sorry Mike,,, I don't buy it.....thats like telling me my 10 wheel tractor attached to my tri-axle trailer now has more chance to loose a wheel compared to an 18 wheeler..... TORQUE IS TORQUE should not matter on number of matching surfaces unless someone gets lazy or should not be "touching" things they know NOTHING about...
Old 06-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #26
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
Sorry Mike,,, I don't buy it.....thats like telling me my 10 wheel tractor attached to my tri-axle trailer now has more chance to loose a wheel compared to an 18 wheeler..... TORQUE IS TORQUE should not matter on number of matching surfaces unless someone gets lazy or should not be "touching" things they know NOTHING about...
Not quite the same. Bolts can fail for multiple reasons, case in point is Monkeyproof who had his studs fail due to fatigue from constantly changing wheels around. With wheel spacers, you don't have 12 lugs all holding on one wheel, you have 6 studs holding in 6 more and 2 planes of potential failure (between the hub and the spacer and between the spacer and the wheel). Whether you buy it or not, there is more opportunity for failure with wheel spacers than without.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #28
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Agreed that the chances are more likely but from improper install rather than the spacers themselves. It just adds 24 more opportunities for something to fail. It only makes sense that if "something" can break and you double that "thing"... It doubles the chances of that "thing" breaking...
Old 06-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #29
wake100's Tacoma Gallery
with the idea of the lugs fatiguing the spacers aren't being taken off and put back on repeatedly. also taking an exception and quoting it as the norm doesn't seem right. the two examples of why its bad sounds like one was over torqued and the other one was a guy that liked different wheels a lot... those are exceptions. how about the rest of the guys that say they are fine and had no issues that rotate tires at normal intervals only and torque them correctly?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 AM   #30

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I don't buy it
Yeah, but you're in Canada, the ice will hold your wheels on year round
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Agreed that the chances are more likely but from improper install rather than the spacers themselves. It just adds 24 more opportunities for something to fail. It only makes sense that if "something" can break and you double that "thing"... It doubles the chances of that "thing" breaking...
More or less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake100 View Post
with the idea of the lugs fatiguing the spacers aren't being taken off and put back on repeatedly. also taking an exception and quoting it as the norm doesn't seem right. the two examples of why its bad sounds like one was over torqued and the other one was a guy that liked different wheels a lot... those are exceptions. how about the rest of the guys that say they are fine and had no issues that rotate tires at normal intervals only and torque them correctly?
No where did I exaggerate and say that an outlying case was the norm. I simply said it introduces more points for potential failure. There are obviously lots of people who run them without issue and I would 100% agree that they can be run without issue. That being said, I wouldn't put them on my vehicle and I've stated one of my reasons. The other is I don't want the added stress they put on wheel bearings or other suspension parts.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #31
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, but you're in Canada, the ice will hold your wheels on year round

at least I own a Tacoma

Old 06-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #32

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
at least I own a Tacoma

I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about