Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing and wheel spacers - any issues?

Old 02-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
KDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud ofKDOG has much to be proud of
KDOG's Tacoma Gallery
Towing and wheel spacers - any issues?

Thinking of adding wheel spacers (like the Spidertrax 1.25s) when I do my wheel/tire upgrade but I tow a 3500lb camper (dry weight). I have a WD hitch. Are there any known issues with slavers and towing?
Old 06-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
wake100 is on a distinguished road
wake100's Tacoma Gallery
old thread but I have those spacers and a camper pretty close to the same weight. I haven't towed it very much since I got the spacers though, I was kind of wondering the same thing really. I talked to spidertrax and they reassured that the forces from off roading are greater than when towing. The spacers are billet aluminum which is stronger than cast which are what our wheels are made out of. they basically told me the wheels are the weak point...
Old 06-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
12thmanhawkfan is on a distinguished road

Name: Robby
12thmanhawkfan's Tacoma Gallery
I've got spidertrax and do quite a bit of towing, no issues for me so far!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt man. Another dude on here had a wheel break off due to spidertrax. I wouldn't wanna be towing something heavy and wake up dead the next morning because my wheels fell off with almost 2 tons dragging behind me on fully functional wheels lol
Old 06-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty much what wake100 said. The wheels will break before the spacers. I have 1.25 spidertrax spacers and tow with no issues.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Kiss My IFS
yotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
yotarob2005's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE STRAIT View Post
I wouldnt man. Another dude on here had a wheel break off due to spidertrax. I wouldn't wanna be towing something heavy and wake up dead the next morning because my wheels fell off with almost 2 tons dragging behind me on fully functional wheels lol
that's genius right there

OP, there is nothing wrong with towing to the full capacity of your truck with properly installed wheel spacers. 3500 lbs will definitely not be a problem. However why are you considering spacers in the first place? Need the clearance or just like the look?
Old 06-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sarcasm.. Just tryin to save lives. Wouldn't want my kids to get killed by a stray airborne tire either
Old 06-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
Who's wheel broke off due to a spidertrax?
Old 06-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Large Breast Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJC View Post
Who's wheel broke off due to a spidertrax?
I'll try to find the link. I saw some pictures on here the other day of a guy who it happened too. Theres also this guy, who had no pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassman View Post
I'll never use them again, back wheel came off going 70mph on I-40. This was after Toyota did brake job a few months earlier and i did not think to check them. Toyota over tourqed them and left rear snapped off. Peace of mind was never present when they were on.

It is better to spend money on correct offset wheels than to loose your life!
Old 06-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Large Breast Enthusiast

Spacer studs sheared off when he was going down the interstate.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

because they were over torqued , says so right in the post you linked , same thing can happen to the regular wheel studs
Old 06-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Due to improper torque most likely. If they are not properly installed they can snap off just like if you install your wheels with improper torque. There is noting wrong with properly installed wheel spacers and SpiderTrax are one of the best on the market.

Edit peter beat me to it.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Large Breast Enthusiast

Doesn't matter. He said it was done at a toyota dealership, so you never know when they are at risk for failure.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #14
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Doesn't matter. He said it was done at a toyota dealership, so you never know when they are at risk for failure.
The same can be said for your wheels that has nothing to do with spacers. Lugs are lugs and if they are over torqued they can fail.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake100 View Post
old thread but I have those spacers and a camper pretty close to the same weight. I haven't towed it very much since I got the spacers though, I was kind of wondering the same thing really. I talked to spidertrax and they reassured that the forces from off roading are greater than when towing. The spacers are billet aluminum which is stronger than cast which are what our wheels are made out of. they basically told me the wheels are the weak point...
I have Bora .75" spacers on the front only to keep my '09 TRD wheel-265/75/16's off my upper A's.....

Towed a loaded 5x8 U-Haul trailer 1500 plus miles from NH to Florida without a single problem .....

TORQUE TORQUE TORQUE.......You read all these horror tales and what is the "constant".......
Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #16
Large Breast Enthusiast

I'm not buying the assertion that wheels are just as likely to break off while in motion as a wheel spacer
Old 06-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #17
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:

Same thing happened to me. There were no spacers in the rear, just over torqued and fatigued from the many many many times I have my wheels on and off..

I do however have spacers in the front along with my long travel kit and tow frequently without any issues..
Old 06-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not buying the assertion that wheels are just as likely to break off while in motion as a wheel spacer
Then READ on about seperation for under and over torqued wheels; both on pick-ups and large tractor trailers.....Steel and aluminum wheels and their "ends" can become missiles...

You over or under TORQUE anything and chaos can ensue...

And I will be "Devils advocate" for tires also.....Since I drive for a living the number or Virgin tires going "POP" is equal to caps....

PROPER WHEEL & TIRE maintainence is CRITICAL......You think a 1/2 ton pick-up with a trailer is a "b!tch" when it goes wrong.
Try it at 80000 lbs of "OOPS"
Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well they are buy it or not.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #20
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
Then READ on about seperation for under and over torqued wheels; both on pick-ups and large tractor trailers.....Steel and aluminum wheels and their "ends" can become missiles...

You over or under TORQUE anything and chaos can ensue...

And I will be "Devils advocate" for tires also.....Since I drive for a living the number or Virgin tires going "POP" is equal to caps....

PROPER WHEEL & TIRE maintainence is CRITCAL......You think a 1/2 ton pick-up with a trailer is a "b!tch" when it goes wrong.
Try it at 80000 lbs of "OOPS"
He doesn't read, no need to. He knows all there is to know on any subject, the end all be all.