1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing Nash 17C

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Ibdoubled, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Mar 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    Ibdoubled

Ibdoubled [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Deming, nm
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma
    I have a 2013 double cab 4x4 auto trans 4.0 engine long bed, with a towing package. I have a Nash 17c travel trailer, the empty weight is 3700 lbs and it's got a dry hitch weight of 500 lbs. I live at 4400 ft elevation and we own an acre by the gila national forest about 60 miles away and it's probably close to 7000 ft elevation. Just wondering if anyone has towed one of these or something similar and how it does? I would have to use an equalizer hitch of course. I still have my 99 Ford superduty diesel that I use but have this truck and it would be nice if it could tow the Nash ok. When I bought it I just didn't want a Tundra and get crappy gas mileage because the primary use of the truck is daily use.
    Thanks for the imput

2. Mar 20, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I'm at 5600ft and tow an (empty) 3500# travel trailer (max 5200). Regularly go to 7000ft and upwards of 9500-10000ft. While 65mph at 9500ft isn't fun, it gets the job done.

3. Mar 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    Ibdoubled

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Deming, nm
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma
    Nice, I know there are lots of opinions out there but it's nice to hear from someone that is doing it. I have an old equalizer hitch that's pretty heavy but maybe they all are. I've got three trucks but at some point may have to whittle them down, so am hoping the Tacoma will tow the camper ok

4. Mar 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Yeah, my WD hitch is pretty hefty too (I'd guess about 20-25lbs or so). We pulled our camper with the wife's trailblazer (inline 6, rated a bit higher hp and tq than the taco) last year. Around town it pulls as well if not better than the tb so I'm assuming the mountain trips will be the same (first trip was supposed to be last weekend but weather changed that; next weekend will hopefully be the first trip). Stability-wise though, the taco seems much more in control compared to the tb.

So full disclosure, I've only driven it around 5600ft due to poor weather cancelling our camping plans last weekend but given how the two different vehicles handle at 5600ft, I'm guessing it will be comparable at higher altitudes but will let you know (hopefully) next weekend.

5. Mar 20, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    Ibdoubled

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Deming, nm
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma
    Let me know how it goes, I would say the longer wheelbase would sure help.

Products Discussed in

To Top