Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

How to tell if I have towing package?

Old 04-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
Steven79 is on a distinguished road
Steven79's Tacoma Gallery
How to tell if I have towing package?

I Have a 2012 tacoma access cab 4x4 v6 trd OR package. It is an automatic. I did not order the tow package. I do not have a hitch or wiring. I read that the color of the fan clutch mount can determine if you have it installed or not. Mine is pink. The label on my door says gvwr 5500lb.

Any advice would be appreciated in determining what I have on my truck.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
if you dont have a hitch, then how can you tow? therefore how could you have this so called package, with no hitch?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
White and Nerdy
theTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
theTupper's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theTupper Send a message via Skype™ to theTupper
Without a hitch, it's likely you don't. Sure way is to check for the additional transmission cooler installed in front of your radiator.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
I Have a 2012 tacoma access cab 4x4 v6 trd OR package. It is an automatic. I did not order the tow package. I do not have a hitch or wiring. I read that the color of the fan clutch mount can determine if you have it installed or not. Mine is pink. The label on my door says gvwr 5500lb.

Any advice would be appreciated in determining what I have on my truck.

Thanks

go to Toyota's website and register. You can then input your vin number and it should tell you what you have.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Thanks.

I have just looked and noticed what is on my truck. I do not have the engine oil cooler. I do have the big battery group 27, and a 120A alternator.

So what does that mean for towing if I get a class 3 hitch? Should I get the transmission cooler?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven79 View Post
Thanks.

I have just looked and noticed what is on my truck. I do not have the engine oil cooler. I do have the big battery group 27, and a 120A alternator.

So what does that mean for towing if I get a class 3 hitch? Should I get the transmission cooler?
W/out the tow package your TWR will be 3,400lbs or 3,500lbs. Check out the attached model code info from the manual (you can get your truck's model number from the same sticker that had the gvwr).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
go to Toyota's website and register. You can then input your vin number and it should tell you what you have.
Wow, I thought Toyota.com would list this in the vehicle specs. Just checked.. www.toyota.com/owners doesn't indicate whether the vehicle has the tow pkg standard. Doesn't make sense why they wouldn't
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Model Codes.pdf (31.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
grn245L CRADKA is what I have.

So I plan to install a transmission cooler, class 3 weight distributing hitch, and brake controller. I plan to tow a small tt around 2000lb or so. I am not going to do the engine oil cooler. I will be driving it about 1500 mile trip. I don't tow a lot or need to but this what I plan to do. So I am thinking I should be ok.