Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

to tow or not to tow

Old 04-09-2014, 05:54 AM   #1
gitsum will become famous soon enough
Name: Gitsum
gitsum's Tacoma Gallery
to tow or not to tow

ok guys. I know some of you will say NO WAY! but I need to get my boat to the marina sooner than later. I have a 2013 5 lugger 2.7 2WD manual. I have installed 4.56 gears, 31's, add a leafs and a class III hitch. Im guessing the boat, motor, and trailer are somewhere around 4000-4500lbs. Can I go up the highway about 135 miles? What are my NEW limitations? Clutch?
I tow boats with my trucks at work all the time. Too bad I cant use any of those.

I regularly tow my power washing trailer with no trouoble at all. About 2000lbs.

Its either tow it or wait for who knows how long for a weather window and ride the boat up the coast.

Heres a link of me hooked up to it....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-l...gittinsum.html
Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Weak link is brakes.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
gitsum's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to add, trailer has all new surge disc brakes
Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should be fine. Looks like the trailer has hydraulic brakes. Just watch your temps, and know the boat is back there for stopping distances. I've towed a boat like that with a stock 2wd nissan frontier 4cyl 5speed, and I never had a problem except the clutch, which was already bad haha. Also just know that you might not be able to cruise in the highest gear, downshift to prevent engine lug, and to improve stopping
Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
navin is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Ret.
navin's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at towing 3500 regularly so I know the tire differences via a gear calculator I've been using like a mad man. I'd pop on the stock wheels just to see how it goes.

I pulled a big load with my 93 4cyl 5 speed after years of heavy loads and towing at the rating mark. I needed a clutch after 15 minutes with the bigger over load, stock everything.

Deal with the much lower cruise speeds and save the clutch IMO. You won't want to go fast anyway.

If you got rid of the stock tires/wheels, beg, borrow or buy a cheap set.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
smmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
smmarine's Tacoma Gallery
I have 31s and 4.56 gearing should be fine. My prerunner is v6 auto 4.10 rear gear. A new 4cyl 5 speed 4.56 should be fine
Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
gitsum's Tacoma Gallery
Ok cool. Thanks guys
I think I will give it a shot. It would be nice though if the wind would lay down so I could ride the boat up but isnt looking like it will any time soon.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
PattonT is on a distinguished road
Army: 25 id
PattonT's Tacoma Gallery
You could rent a uhaul or hire someone to take it for you. You might be surprised at how cheap someone would haul that for you.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
gitsum's Tacoma Gallery
Towed it the first 99 miles on sat morning. Did very well other that a couple of long grades. Stayed in 4th gear all the way and about 3500rpm and touched 4000 a couple of times. No sagging, swinging, or pushing. Just could have used a little more power. 7.99 gpm. Towing the rest of the way (about 35mi.) on Good Fri.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
gitsum's Tacoma Gallery
Boat trailer has been at the marina and going in and out of the ramp all summer. I hope those new hubs and brakes will be ok for the long haul home next month
Old 08-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #11
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitsum View Post
. 7.99 gpm

I see what you did there and I can identify with that.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #12
gitsum's Tacoma Gallery
meant m.p.g. A little dixlesic? HAHAHA
Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Gallons per mile is probably more accurate in the case of some vehicles I've had in the past.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #14
gitsum's Tacoma Gallery
well the summer is over. Tomorrow Im having the marina winterize the boat and will be bringing it the 135 miles back home. hopefully all will go as well as the first run.