Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Tacoma Travel Trailer Towng: Read If You Consider Buying An RV

Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #21
KMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KMitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGraphite View Post
Glad it's all working for you. Any day at the campsite, however you get there, is better than a day at the office
As far as "if you're not driving a huge diesel you're going to die", absolutely not true (as long as you keep the brain in gear). But for towing my diesel has two huge advantages over my Tacoma - great gobs of turbocharged torque to help get to the top of Trail Ridge Road (12,000'+) in Rocky Mountain NP, and an exhaust brake to help stop it all getting away coming down the other side. No way in hell I'd have tried that with my trailer in my Tacoma.
He's not saying that...it's what people on RV sites say.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
Expat Aussie
SilverGraphite is on a distinguished road
SilverGraphite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMitch View Post
He's not saying that...it's what people on RV sites say.
No, I know that. I was agreeing with him. Maybe I could have worded it a bit better.

When I was a kid growing up in Australia in the 70's when trailers weren't so light and there were no big turbo diesels (at least in Australia), my Dad used to tow probably about 18 or 19 foot trailers with a '67 6 cylinder Valiant station wagon. You just have to have respect for the limitations of whatever equipment you have.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #23
KMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KMitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGraphite View Post
No, I know that. I was agreeing with him. Maybe I could have worded it a bit better.

When I was a kid growing up in Australia in the 70's when trailers weren't so light and there were no big turbo diesels (at least in Australia), my Dad used to tow probably about 18 or 19 foot trailers with a '67 6 cylinder Valiant station wagon. You just have to have respect for the limitations of whatever equipment you have.
Ahh, gotcha....yeah I definitely read it wrong.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #24
Motob is on a distinguished road
Motob's Tacoma Gallery
Hello just wanted to add a few thoughts. Of course diesel trucks are ideal for towing thats what they are for... But they cost a lot of $$$ even an older used one is a lot of money.

My TT is kind of heavy for its size, 3900 lbs dry (not the best quality one) but I feel like my tacoma handles it pretty damn well. I defiantly agree that the weight distribution hitch is nice to have. I have towed both with it and without and the difference is very noticeable. I have a set of dakkars for the rear, no airbags but it sits pretty level as you can see from the pic.

Power is nothing crazy but honestly it's not all that bad, I have a lot of hills in my area (not super high elevation though) and if your able to keep your momentum up and shift right they are not so bad. I have passed slow peeps when I needed to up our worst grades at 55-65 no prob. I have a 6 speed manual so for me 3rd and 4th are my go to gears for hills, 5th for flats.

Like others have said gas mileage isn't that great.

Another point I wanted to make concerning water weight. Like others have said you can usually pull empty to the spot your camping. And when they talk about max loaded trailer weights they mean all tanks full. That's grey black and fresh. When do you ever tow with all 3 full? Maybe black and grey if they don't have a dump station but fresh you should have empty thats 400lbs or so.

Anyways kinda long post, but for us younger peeps ect who rely on one vehicle for all our uses and can't afford to have a separate tow rig, the taco can handle your camping needs no prob. Don't be scared to tow that 3500-4000 lb trailer you can do it!! Others even haul way bigger ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma Travel Trailer Towng:  Read If You Consider Buying An RV-image.jpg