Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Picking up the new travel trailer tomorrow. What am I missing?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Picking up the new travel trailer tomorrow. What am I missing?

Trailer specs below, trailer does have tandem axles. I will have an equalizer hitch and brake controller.

Currently sitting on full OME suspension. Any other suggestions for safety while towing???

Thanks in advance!

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 3,355
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 443
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 4,475
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1,120

Exterior Length 20' 7"
Exterior Width 96"
Old 05-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Guess I'm good...lol
Old 05-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadTaco View Post
Trailer specs below, trailer does have tandem axles. I will have an equalizer hitch and brake controller.

Currently sitting on full OME suspension. Any other suggestions for safety while towing???

Thanks in advance!

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 3,355
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 443
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 4,475
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1,120

Exterior Length 20' 7"
Exterior Width 96"
Connector to match your trailer if needed is the only thing I see you might need your just picking it up not picking it up and going camping .

Cypher
Old 05-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
GFY

Going camping Friday. I'm hoping my Dakar leaf springs are hefty enough not to sag a lot.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
KMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KMitch's Tacoma Gallery
Dakars will work great. I have a progressive 3 leaf AAL and with my equalizer hitch, my rear doesn't sag at all (and my rig is slightly heavier than yours). Dakars will go on once these wear out. I would bring a floor jack and 4 way also, in case of a flat.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMitch View Post
Dakars will work great. I have a progressive 3 leaf AAL and with my equalizer hitch, my rear doesn't sag at all (and my rig is slightly heavier than yours). Dakars will go on once these wear out. I would bring a floor jack and 4 way also, in case of a flat.

Thanks for the tips! I do have the jack ready.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
There are countless things you will find that you need for camping.
First, get a good Watts water pressure regulator, not the cheap 2 inch water regulator that most places pass off as good enough.
White water hose.
Upgrade the sewer hose, either completely or at least with the adapters and quick connects that let you connect securely to the sewer/dump station.
Consider getting a surge protector to protect your trailer's circuit boards from the crappy power supplied at most campground power poles.
Chocks for the wheels.
Leveling blocks or 2" X 6" boards to do the same.
A second set of everything you think you might need to use it without having to raid the house every time you go camping.
Sometimes it helps to camp at home the first time and keep track of the things you have to go back in the house for...

That's a start...
Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
52motorhead is on a distinguished road

52motorhead's Tacoma Gallery
Pen and note pad. As you think of things write it down and after a couple of trips you will be set.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Is your trailer a double or single axle? IF its a double axle, you won't need a jack. Just pull the good tire up on a block of wood to raise the tire that needs changing.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
robm7 is on a distinguished road

robm7's Tacoma Gallery
Dead battery suck. I would bring a battery charger and a generator if yours doesn't come with one.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
GFY

Pulled the new trailer this past weekend. The Tacoma did well, you definitely know that it is behind you. Averaged about 10MPG
Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
SOCO Taco is on a distinguished road

Army: Master EOD Tech, SFC, Ret, DAV
Name: BSR
SOCO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a load leveler/sway control on the hitch? If you didn't experience any issues then you're probably good. I hope to pick up a highwall pop up this weekend, do an axle flip on the single axle. Will get a load/sway unit for the single axle. I almost flipped a Wrangler and 5X8 enclosed on I-70. Wasn't going over 60 and that thing was bouncing all over the road, lifting tires. Pucker factor 10+. Sure the short wheelbase had a lot to do with it, sure the taco wouldn't notice. But a few hundred bucks is cheap when considering truck/trailer/gear/people.