1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this Jayco Swift a good idea?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Sterdog, May 20, 2014.

1. May 20, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I'm seriously considering buying a 20 ft Jayco Swift. The trailers dry weight is about 4000 lbs, and the maximum rated weight for the unit is 5900 lbs. I will be towing the trailer full of water, but that's about it since we tend to go on short 2 day jaunts rather than long term stays when we camp.

I'm not to worried about the weight, I think 4500 lbs is about the right number for this trailer, plus my truck with people, food, and dog added up on top of that. I will install a brake controller tomorrow, and the dealership is including a weight distributing 800 lbs tongue weight hitch (the 800 lbs hitch was the same price as the 500 and 600 lbs models), is there anything I'm missing that should sway me away from this purchase? I do have the supercharger so the truck shouldn't have to hunt gears nearly as badly and I probably won't go to the mountains very often.

I was going to wait another year or two so I could have more money down on the trailer, but they have a 2014 "new" very slightly hail damaged unit marked down to $13,000 CAN (from 21 K) which is unheard of cheap in Canada. Should I be wary of the hail damage, which is really about 5 minor dents on the very top edge of one side of the trailer (the unit beside it took most of the shit kicking)?

2. May 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Oh, and my truck is a TRD sport long box with the factory tow package. The dealership also weighs the units with propane, battery, and water at a local scale and attaches the number to the invoice sheet, they say with those items it weighed 4700 lbs.

3. May 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    How far do you plan to tow and how often?

4. May 20, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    90 percent of the time I'll be within a hour or so drive of home. Maybe once a year I'll be four to five hours away. I do have a 3/4 ton work truck I might tow with, but since it's a commercial lease it is not correctly registered for towing which could be an issue, so I have to assume my personal taco a will be my primary mover.

If I buy a trailer I'll camp probably 9 to 10 times a year, maybe more.

Last edited: May 20, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top