Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

A believer in the Taco's towing capacity.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:57 AM   #21
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop49 View Post
Get you a good WD hitch and trailer brakes...don't be a speed demon. You should be fine.
I'm debating between an Equalizer and an Anderson hitch.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #22
beatcop49 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Pstrol Sergeant, Rerired
Name: Keith
beatcop49's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmharvey79 View Post
While it is pretty impressive that your Tacoma can pull that trailer around it seems like it is asking a little much of the truck. If you decide to step up to a full-size truck i2n the future I highly recommend a F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine, given your needs. They're not too bad on gas for normal driving (similar to a Tacoma) but they also have tons of power and low-end torque when you need it. It was between the F150/EcoBoost and the Tacoma when I was looking for a truck and I opted for the Tacoma because I don't do much towing and a smaller truck works better in my area.

Drive safe and enjoy your travels!
I appreciate your advice. You say it "seems" I was asking to much of my Tacoma, which would indicate you're not sure. I'm confident that the truck can handle the load, as it already has. My original post states that I've read just about every Taco towing thread there is...and I have. There was, is and always will be those who disagree with me...that's you're right...I'm ok with it.

On my first trip, I towed across the southern states, close to the Gulf. Not too many steep inclines there...about the only real incline was the bridge over the Mississippi River. My speed held at 50 mph without downshifting.

I'll only be towing this TT 3 times a year, in between the wife's assignments...not that often.

In the future, I may go up in size for a tow vehicle, but for now, I'll keep the Tacoma...its proven its worth.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I'm debating between an Equalizer and an Anderson hitch.
I have the Equalizer.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMan View Post
I tow a 15ft toy hauler that is 4800lb wet (motorcycles, generator, etc), my GCVW was 9500lb. I've towed it from East Texas to Moab Utah and back. plus all over my state. I am fully aware and impressed by the Tacomas towing abilities... however, it is very easy to exceed those limits as well, at that point you become a potential liability to everyone else on the road. That is why it is important to weigh a vehicle http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator there are 3 scale locations within 10mi of me
I agree...weights are important. My wife says I'm obsessed with it. I didn't have access to scales, so I did the next best thing...using the curb weights of both vehicles, and carefully calculating the weight of items added...fuel, oil, radiator water, myself, etc., for the truck, and items in the trailer. My wife had her car loaded down with most of our trailer Items.

As soon as I can, I'll weigh it.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMan View Post
I tow a 15ft toy hauler that is 4800lb wet (motorcycles, generator, etc), my GCVW was 9500lb. I've towed it from East Texas to Moab Utah and back. plus all over my state. I am fully aware and impressed by the Tacomas towing abilities... however, it is very easy to exceed those limits as well, at that point you become a potential liability to everyone else on the road. That is why it is important to weigh a vehicle http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator there are 3 scale locations within 10mi of me

Also, I believe how you drive is as much a factor in "potential liability" as weights are. I was a traffic cop for several years. My specialty was reconstructing fatalities. Trust me...I've investigated enough to know that I don't want to die like that, nor do I want to contribute to someone's death.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #26
52motorhead is on a distinguished road

52motorhead's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=beatcop49;8728269]Also, I believe how you drive is as much a factor in "potential liability" as weights are.

I couldn't agree more. My trailer weights in at 6000 lbs loaded (and yes I have gone across the scales to verify) and I'm impressed with how well the Tacoma does. Ive seen people towing and its like they forgot that there is another 20-30 feet behind them when passing others or even in city streets.
Hell I've even meet a person who asked me for help at a campsite to back his unit in cause he couldn't back up.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #28

[QUOTE=52motorhead;8728318]
Quote:
Also, I believe how you drive is as much a factor in "potential liability" as weights are.

I couldn't agree more. My trailer weights in at 6000 lbs loaded (and yes I have gone across the scales to verify) and I'm impressed with how well the Tacoma does. Ive seen people towing and its like they forgot that there is another 20-30 feet behind them when passing others or even in city streets.
Hell I've even meet a person who asked me for help at a campsite to back his unit in cause he couldn't back up.
Awesome...I'm not alone...
Old 05-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #29
dmharvey79 is a name known to alldmharvey79 is a name known to alldmharvey79 is a name known to alldmharvey79 is a name known to alldmharvey79 is a name known to alldmharvey79 is a name known to all
Army: 10th Mountain Infantry Division (li)
Name: Dennis
dmharvey79's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, if it works it works. I just said 'seems' because it is a little more than I'd be willing to tow on long trips with my Tacoma. Glad to hear it is working out for you!

Quote:
I appreciate your advice. You say it "seems" I was asking to much of my Tacoma, which would indicate you're not sure. I'm confident that the truck can handle the load, as it already has. My original post states that I've read just about every Taco towing thread there is...and I have. There was, is and always will be those who disagree with me...that's you're right...I'm ok with it.

On my first trip, I towed across the southern states, close to the Gulf. Not too many steep inclines there...about the only real incline was the bridge over the Mississippi River. My speed held at 50 mph without downshifting.

I'll only be towing this TT 3 times a year, in between the wife's assignments...not that often.

In the future, I may go up in size for a tow vehicle, but for now, I'll keep the Tacoma...its proven its worth.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmharvey79 View Post
Hey, if it works it works. I just said 'seems' because it is a little more than I'd be willing to tow on long trips with my Tacoma. Glad to hear it is working out for you!
Thanks again. I appreciate you comments. Sometimes, you just don't know until you do it.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #31
ttubb is on a distinguished road

Name: Terry
ttubb's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 22' Airstream (5000# GW) with my 2013 Taco DCSB 4WD V-6.

I live in Arizona in the winter and Colorado in the summer so my towing is mostly mountains.

I did the recent TSB for rear suspension and I have Scan Guage and an additional trans cooler installed. I usually run about 60mph and find the Tacoma does well as a tow vehicle. Airstreams are great for towing and I don't feel the need for a larger truck (I had a Dodge Diesel).
Attached Thumbnails
A believer in the Taco's towing capacity.-22as-2003.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #32
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
^ Sweet!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #33
jdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud ofjdavis92 has much to be proud of
Navy: Radioman Petty Officer Second Class
jdavis92's Tacoma Gallery
Just went from Flagstaff to Fool Hollow Lake towing a 3500lb travel trailer. WE also had two bikes and a canoe on top of the truck. About 150 miles each way. Of course then I had to deal with the winds along the I-40 corridor......nasty.

Got about 13mpg both ways, running between 60-65mph. For the most part, the cruise control handled it pretty well. This is not the first time I have done this stretch of road, but I recently got a new exhaust so I wanted to see how well everything did on it's own without my help. Not to bad I'd say.

Jeff in Flagstaff
Old 06-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubb View Post
I tow a 22' Airstream (5000# GW) with my 2013 Taco DCSB 4WD V-6.

I live in Arizona in the winter and Colorado in the summer so my towing is mostly mountains.

I did the recent TSB for rear suspension and I have Scan Guage and an additional trans cooler installed. I usually run about 60mph and find the Tacoma does well as a tow vehicle. Airstreams are great for towing and I don't feel the need for a larger truck (I had a Dodge Diesel).
That's good to know. What is your average tranny temp in the mountains, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #35
ttubb is on a distinguished road

Name: Terry
ttubb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's good to know. What is your average tranny temp in the mountains, if you don't mind me asking?
The highest I have seen is 235 but that was prior to the additional cooler. I had an electric fan set-up to blow on the cooler at that time. As for an average, that is hard to say as it would rise on the long pulls then drop rapidly on the downhills below 200.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #36
Zackbo is on a distinguished road
Zackbo's Tacoma Gallery
I towed this for the first time last weekend. Have to admit I was pretty scared after reading some of the (mis)information out there. "It's too big. You'll wreck, kill your family, kill everyone around you for 1/2 mile, cause a chain reaction that will bump the main particle accelerator on the Hadron Supercollider creating a black hole that will suck in the universe", etc.

No biggie. Started feeling a little squirrely above 70 so I'm gonna keep it at 60.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:38 AM   #37
nealkas will become famous soon enough
Marines: Motor T, other duties as required. ;-)
Name: nealkas
nealkas's Tacoma Gallery
As Keith said, 2 big keys are a good hitch and a good brake controller.

Keep good fluid in the drivetrain.
Scrupulous trailer bearing and tire maintenance.
Losing a wheel or blowouts can get you in trouble.

I'd consider going to the absolute best trailer tires on the market.
Sometimes the oem tires are cheap as the mfg's know most trailers don't see 5000 miles in their lifetime.

How does your wife like travel nursing?

I'm a late in life RN, work pediatric acute psych.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #38
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubb View Post
The highest I have seen is 235 but that was prior to the additional cooler. I had an electric fan set-up to blow on the cooler at that time. As for an average, that is hard to say as it would rise on the long pulls then drop rapidly on the downhills below 200.
What tranny temps do you see now with the additional cooler?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackbo View Post
I towed this for the first time last weekend. Have to admit I was pretty scared after reading some of the (mis)information out there. "It's too big. You'll wreck, kill your family, kill everyone around you for 1/2 mile, cause a chain reaction that will bump the main particle accelerator on the Hadron Supercollider creating a black hole that will suck in the universe", etc.

No biggie. Started feeling a little squirrely above 70 so I'm gonna keep it at 60.

Glad you had a good experience.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealkas View Post
As Keith said, 2 big keys are a good hitch and a good brake controller.

Keep good fluid in the drivetrain.
Scrupulous trailer bearing and tire maintenance.
Losing a wheel or blowouts can get you in trouble.

I'd consider going to the absolute best trailer tires on the market.
Sometimes the oem tires are cheap as the mfg's know most trailers don't see 5000 miles in their lifetime.

How does your wife like travel nursing?

I'm a late in life RN, work pediatric acute psych.
Are you asking me? If so, she likes it so far...she's in her4th week. They treat her good...one of the less "seasoned" travel nurses is having a hard time...there's some "hen pecking" going on.