Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

A believer in the Taco's towing capacity.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #41
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my 2 cents on towing with ANY truck. The closer you tow to the max weight, the shorter the lifespan of your truck. Period. Put all the fancy gizmos you want on it, like oil coolers, fans, and WD hitches, you're still shortening the lifespan.

Toyotas are tough trucks, and will tow pretty much whatever you put behind it, but only for so long. The tow ratings are "max" for a reason, and even then I consider tow ratings to be calculated for "ideal" circumstances (much like MPG's are calculated). Ideal means flat roads.

The tent trailer I tow a few dozen times a year is about half the max tow rating of my 2004 V6 dbl cab. That's about as high as I'm comfortable going on a regular basis. The truck is my daily driver, and I camp mostly in the mountains. I'm hitting 35/40mph on some of the hills as it is, I can't imagine towing anything much heavier on a regular basis. Sure, I could romp on the skinny pedal and go faster, as the truck *can* do it, but then I'm just working everything that much harder, and getting even WORSE mpg.

Eventually, I plan to get a 3rd vehicle that's larger/more powerful than my Taco, and turning the taco into a trail only vehicle. A V8 4Runner maybe, or a Sequoia. Still not planning on a bigger trailer, just making it "easier" to tow my current one.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:54 AM   #42
Zackbo is on a distinguished road
Zackbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
Here's my 2 cents on towing with ANY truck. The closer you tow to the max weight, the shorter the lifespan of your truck. Period. Put all the fancy gizmos you want on it, like oil coolers, fans, and WD hitches, you're still shortening the lifespan.

Toyotas are tough trucks, and will tow pretty much whatever you put behind it, but only for so long. The tow ratings are "max" for a reason, and even then I consider tow ratings to be calculated for "ideal" circumstances (much like MPG's are calculated). Ideal means flat roads.

The tent trailer I tow a few dozen times a year is about half the max tow rating of my 2004 V6 dbl cab. That's about as high as I'm comfortable going on a regular basis. The truck is my daily driver, and I camp mostly in the mountains. I'm hitting 35/40mph on some of the hills as it is, I can't imagine towing anything much heavier on a regular basis. Sure, I could romp on the skinny pedal and go faster, as the truck *can* do it, but then I'm just working everything that much harder, and getting even WORSE mpg.

Eventually, I plan to get a 3rd vehicle that's larger/more powerful than my Taco, and turning the taco into a trail only vehicle. A V8 4Runner maybe, or a Sequoia. Still not planning on a bigger trailer, just making it "easier" to tow my current one.

I fully agree with this. But it's also true that ANY time you drive your truck you're shortening it's lifespan.

Something I find interesting is that a lot of vehicles' towing capacity is double in Europe what it is here (and I do mean the exact same vehicle, except maybe drivers position). What's up with that? Is it possible that manufacturer's are conservative with towing capacities in the states due to the amount of lawyers and litigations?
Old 06-15-2014, 04:56 AM   #43
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackbo View Post
I fully agree with this. But it's also true that ANY time you drive your truck you're shortening it's lifespan.

Something I find interesting is that a lot of vehicles' towing capacity is double in Europe what it is here (and I do mean the exact same vehicle, except maybe drivers position). What's up with that? Is it possible that manufacturer's are conservative with towing capacities in the states due to the amount of lawyers and litigations?
The towing police will never believe you...
Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #44
nealkas will become famous soon enough
Marines: Motor T, other duties as required. ;-)
Name: nealkas
nealkas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop49 View Post
Are you asking me? If so, she likes it so far...she's in her4th week. They treat her good...one of the less "seasoned" travel nurses is having a hard time...there's some "hen pecking" going on.
Thanks.

As a male nurse one seems to catch less bs.

I agree though. I've seen far more bullying on a hospital floor than I ever saw in 40+ yrs working including the Marines, foundries, factories, quarries, and sundry other "man's man" jobs and workplaces.

I'd think one advantage of being a travel nurse is not getting into "Are you with us or them" clique battles what started 30 years ago when Suzy said something about Helen and has been handed down through the ranks ever since.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #45
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackbo View Post
I towed this for the first time last weekend. Have to admit I was pretty scared after reading some of the (mis)information out there. "It's too big. You'll wreck, kill your family, kill everyone around you for 1/2 mile, cause a chain reaction that will bump the main particle accelerator on the Hadron Supercollider creating a black hole that will suck in the universe", etc.

No biggie. Started feeling a little squirrely above 70 so I'm gonna keep it at 60.

Nice. Everytime i see that new Silver Sky color i love it more.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #46
beatcop49 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Pstrol Sergeant, Rerired
Name: Keith
beatcop49's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealkas View Post
Thanks.

As a male nurse one seems to catch less bs.

I agree though. I've seen far more bullying on a hospital floor than I ever saw in 40+ yrs working including the Marines, foundries, factories, quarries, and sundry other "man's man" jobs and workplaces.

I'd think one advantage of being a travel nurse is not getting into "Are you with us or them" clique battles what started 30 years ago when Suzy said something about Helen and has been handed down through the ranks ever since.
That's the God's truth. The beauty of itis, you don't get involved in the politics...