1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership trickery with towing package

Discussion in 'Towing' started by cotton ag13, May 30, 2014.

1. Jun 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Exactly. "Tow package" is 100% ambiguous, it means nothing. There isn't 1 definition, I could argue that a roll of duct tape is a 'tow package' since I'm not defining what I plan on towing. Or I could call a class 5, brake controller, 10 extra coolers, new gears, beefier axles and a supercharger my 'fluffy bunny package' and you would be a lot better off having a fluffy bunny than a duct tape tow package.

I've had a factory package that was nothing more than a hitch and plug, and another that to hook a controller all you needed was 1 pigtail and then plug it into the factory port. Broad range in 'factory'.
    You want the equipment list, not words :laugh:

Now that I say that, I really wonder how many men would pass on the bunny package just because of the name.

*edit* and you're assuming I don't know the phrase instead of making a joke :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. Jun 27, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    here is what I want to know.

I also have a 2012 with "tow package"
    how would I know if it is a Factory tow package or dealer installed hitch and plug only?
    I can look at the alternator and don't know if it is more high powered. How do I know if I have a tranny cooler etc? I really have nothing to compare it to. Would it say this if I put my Vin in on the toyota website or something? I would just like to know before I decide to tow something in the future.

Thanks.

3. Jun 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    Well First off the Factory tow package comes with a 6 pin not a 4 pin connector. and second if you look around your radiator area you should be able to see a secondary much smaller radiator which is your Trans cooler. "Assuming" you have an automatic. Those would be pretty safe indicators. the only way to know for sure would be to run your vin. I believe there was a link provided earlier in the thread for you to do so.

4. Jun 27, 2014 at 12:01 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    don't see a link….anyone know where to search for this at?

Products Discussed in

To Top