Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Dealership trickery with towing package

Old 06-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Personally I would like to see a copy of the paperwork to see the actual wording. Maybe it is just the way I look at something, but when I look at paperwork I never assume anything. I ask questions on everything. Salesmen hate me.

Ha! You're assuming that most (if any) salesmen actually know what they're talking about. You're lucky if they memorize the sales brochures. When I bought my '04 4x4, I went to a Toyota dealer and said "I'm looking for a 2002-2004 TRD 4x4 Tacoma doublecab. I'm not too picky on the color, though. What do you have?"

He takes me over to a used Z71 they had on the lot. Then tried to tell me it's "like a TRD" because the possitrac rear-end it had was a "locker". May I remind you this was a TOYOTA Dealer.

I doubt that many salesman could tell the difference between a factory tow package and a Hidden Hitch, unless it's spelled out FOR them on the window sticker
Old 06-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #22
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Regardless of the salesman's abilities and knowledge, THEY are not the one who does the paperwork and the vehicle "build sheet" which is what will tell you "Toyota Factory Tow Package" or just "Tow package".
Old 06-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrandt View Post
The phrase is "to Assume is to make an Ass out of U and Me." Ass-U-Me...

Technically, you are correct, Indy, people assume lots of things. The problem with situations like this is when you buy a Toyota, form a TOYOTA dealer, and they tell you it has a "tow package", of which a Toyota factory tow package includes several things besides a hitch and a 4 plug.

What they *should* have said upfront is one of 3 things:

1) It has a Factory "tow package."
2) It has a dealer installed "tow package"
3) It has an aftermarket "tow package"

Each of those 3 are completely different things. Was it illegal to "forget" to mention which version the truck came with? No. Was it misleading, and likely purposeful? You betcha.
Exactly. "Tow package" is 100% ambiguous, it means nothing. There isn't 1 definition, I could argue that a roll of duct tape is a 'tow package' since I'm not defining what I plan on towing. Or I could call a class 5, brake controller, 10 extra coolers, new gears, beefier axles and a supercharger my 'fluffy bunny package' and you would be a lot better off having a fluffy bunny than a duct tape tow package.

I've had a factory package that was nothing more than a hitch and plug, and another that to hook a controller all you needed was 1 pigtail and then plug it into the factory port. Broad range in 'factory'.
You want the equipment list, not words

Now that I say that, I really wonder how many men would pass on the bunny package just because of the name.

*edit* and you're assuming I don't know the phrase instead of making a joke
Old 06-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #24
Simon SEZ
slcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Simon
slcsez2000's Tacoma Gallery
here is what I want to know.

I also have a 2012 with "tow package"
how would I know if it is a Factory tow package or dealer installed hitch and plug only?
I can look at the alternator and don't know if it is more high powered. How do I know if I have a tranny cooler etc? I really have nothing to compare it to. Would it say this if I put my Vin in on the toyota website or something? I would just like to know before I decide to tow something in the future.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcsez2000 View Post
here is what I want to know.

I also have a 2012 with "tow package"
how would I know if it is a Factory tow package or dealer installed hitch and plug only?
I can look at the alternator and don't know if it is more high powered. How do I know if I have a tranny cooler etc? I really have nothing to compare it to. Would it say this if I put my Vin in on the toyota website or something? I would just like to know before I decide to tow something in the future.

Thanks.
Well First off the Factory tow package comes with a 6 pin not a 4 pin connector. and second if you look around your radiator area you should be able to see a secondary much smaller radiator which is your Trans cooler. "Assuming" you have an automatic. Those would be pretty safe indicators. the only way to know for sure would be to run your vin. I believe there was a link provided earlier in the thread for you to do so.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #26
Simon SEZ
slcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Simon
slcsez2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
Well First off the Factory tow package comes with a 6 pin not a 4 pin connector. and second if you look around your radiator area you should be able to see a secondary much smaller radiator which is your Trans cooler. "Assuming" you have an automatic. Those would be pretty safe indicators. the only way to know for sure would be to run your vin. I believe there was a link provided earlier in the thread for you to do so.
don't see a link….anyone know where to search for this at?