Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Dealership trickery with towing package

Old 05-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
cotton ag13 is on a distinguished road
cotton ag13's Tacoma Gallery
Dealership trickery with towing package

I just bought my 2012 Tacoma on Tuesday (5/27/14) and a big incentive was the towing package. I did not realize that it included trans cooler, oil cooler, larger alternator, etc until i did some research on TW... Realizing now that the dealership pretty much pulled the wool over my eyes by just attaching a receiver hitch and 4 prong wiring harness, is it worth my time and effort to try and get it corrected to the actual Toyota towing package by them? And is it something they can even do?
Old 05-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
I believe you have three days or two weeks to return your new vehicle from purchase without any repercussions for full refund.
Tell them to put in the full package or you will return it. Quickly.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton ag13 View Post
I just bought my 2012 Tacoma on Tuesday (5/27/14) and a big incentive was the towing package. I did not realize that it included trans cooler, oil cooler, larger alternator, etc until i did some research on TW... Realizing now that the dealership pretty much pulled the wool over my eyes by just attaching a receiver hitch and 4 prong wiring harness, is it worth my time and effort to try and get it corrected to the actual Toyota towing package by them? And is it something they can even do?
It's not a towing package. The truck you have will ever be legally able to tow the advertised max weight. If you really needed a tow package for higher weight. Cancel the deal. You did not get what you needed
Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
Go raise hell with the dealership, you were mislead.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
Tmill will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Aviator
Name: Tyler
Tmill's Tacoma Gallery
Raise hell! What does your invoice say?
Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmill View Post
Raise hell! What does your invoice say?
Exactly ^^. Window sticker or invoice.

Edit: being a 2012 you probably don't have a window sticker.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
Having a tow hitch and the towing package are two different things.
I paid for the tow hitch on mine-just has the hitch and 4 pin plug
Old 05-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Thanks to all for the advice. Definitely will be contacting the GM ASAP to get it all sorted out. Hell I paid for it so it should be there!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm just bought a offroad with towing package. I should check mine
Old 05-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shadow
o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
Used card dealers are thieves plain and simple.

Dealers actually have a higher profit margin when selling used vehicles as opposed to new ones. That is one reason they push to get people to trade in their 2 year old vehicles and buy new ones, so they can resell the trade in.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:30 AM   #12
G8keepr is on a distinguished road
Name: Rich
G8keepr's Tacoma Gallery
Use your VIN# to get a window sticker if they didn't give it to you. I kept mine for six years, until I totaled it. Came in handy with insurance.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:58 AM   #13
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0oSHADOWo0o View Post
Used card dealers are thieves plain and simple.
X2
Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton ag13 View Post
Oh i'm sorry I didn't answer your second question.
Even If they did install the factory coolers, etc, by the book.
Which they never will.
IF there was ever an issue on a accident with this truck towing something over 3500 pounds, a slick lawyer could put you in world of hurt.
They go by the vin package.
Even if you made it MORE CAPABLE the vehicles is rated for the lower weight.
Now would it hold up ???
I don't know.
But In this world who knows.
Like you i wanted the "tow package"
I will never tow #6500.
But i have the ability with no gray area.
If your going to tow under #3500 your not going to have an issue.
They should have said towing capable etc. But in this world of generalization, once a hitch and wiring is installed it is a "TOW PACKAGE"
Just not a "factory tow package".
So you need to decide how big you want to go. They gave you a vehicle capable of towing.
If your upset because you didn't get factory fancy then i think it's unfortunately on you for not asking.
If you didn't come here like you said you wouldn't have known.
If you need #6500 then it's not for you.
good luck
Old 05-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Oh i'm sorry I didn't answer your second question.
Even If they did install the factory coolers, etc, by the book.
Which they never will.
IF there was ever an issue on a accident with this truck towing something over 3500 pounds, a slick lawyer could put you in world of hurt.
They go by the vin package.
Even if you made it MORE CAPABLE the vehicles is rated for the lower weight.
Now would it hold up ???
I don't know.
But In this world who knows.
Like you i wanted the "tow package"
I will never tow #6500.
But i have the ability with no gray area.
If your going to tow under #3500 your not going to have an issue.
They should have said towing capable etc. But in this world of generalization, once a hitch and wiring is installed it is a "TOW PACKAGE"
Just not a "factory tow package".

So you need to decide how big you want to go. They gave you a vehicle capable of towing.
If your upset because you didn't get factory fancy then i think it's unfortunately on you for not asking.
If you didn't come here like you said you wouldn't have known.
If you need #6500 then it's not for you.
good luck
Bingo right there. You have to see what the details are. I know I will get flamed for this probably, but here is the thing. When you are making such a huge investment, it is up to YOU to make SURE that everything is correct, and that you read all of the details. I bet 99% of the people have never actually read the ENTIRE sales contract and invoice. I know I do every time. I read every line before I sign, then make sure it agrees with what I asked for, and was told. I have pissed off many a salesman when I sit there for an hour reading and asking for clarifications.

It is the BUYERS job to read over and make sure everything is right. I sell "tow packages" at my shop all he time. If a Toyota comes in here asking for a tow package, they get it. Doesn't mean that it is a TOYOTA FACTORY tow package. Same as at the dealership. If it doesn't indicate the tow package is a FACTORY TOYOTA package, then ASK QUESTIONS. If it doesn't jive, then refuse to sign. They are not FORCING you to buy a vehicle.

OK, time to get an umbrella.....
Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post

OK, time to get an umbrella.....
Can i stand under it too ??
Old 05-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
Turns out the sticker for the truck never showed a factory tow package. I agree that there should be a differentiation between the two on the paper work. I would just like the added reassurance that comes with it when I am pushing the limit on the 3500#. Thanks for all the advice. The dealership also pointed the difference out so I'll take what I have and run with it. I am still very happy with my purchase but will definitely keep this in the back of my mind when dealing with these squirrelly dudes again. My main concern was just making sure that I didn't get shafted ( even more than I already did) by paying for something that was not there. Umbrellas can be folded up and put away
Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #18
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Assumptions... they make an As out of Sue and me. I've never understood that phrase but there you go.

I could mount a $20 ball and a $5 plug and call it a "tow package", it's not MY fault if YOU assume it's a full receiver + cooling + charge upgrade, and unless you ask for specifics it's not my job to inform you. (Not saying YOU and I as actually us, just playing the legalese route here)

People sometimes get annoyed with me when I make them put in plain words things that many people take for granted. But I've dealt with atty's for way too many years and I have saved my clients butt more than once by me being me. You do have to assume that everyone is out to screw you until they prove otherwise. Then assume they're only *probably* going to screw you
Old 06-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
The phrase is "to Assume is to make an Ass out of U and Me." Ass-U-Me...

Technically, you are correct, Indy, people assume lots of things. The problem with situations like this is when you buy a Toyota, form a TOYOTA dealer, and they tell you it has a "tow package", of which a Toyota factory tow package includes several things besides a hitch and a 4 plug.

What they *should* have said upfront is one of 3 things:

1) It has a Factory "tow package."
2) It has a dealer installed "tow package"
3) It has an aftermarket "tow package"

Each of those 3 are completely different things. Was it illegal to "forget" to mention which version the truck came with? No. Was it misleading, and likely purposeful? You betcha.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #20
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I would like to see a copy of the paperwork to see the actual wording. Maybe it is just the way I look at something, but when I look at paperwork I never assume anything. I ask questions on everything. Salesmen hate me.