Rear suspension setup for towing?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Tntucker1
Tntucker1 is on a distinguished road

Army: 2/75 Ranger Bn, CH-47 Instructor Pilot
Name: Ted
Tntucker1's Tacoma Gallery
Rear suspension setup for towing?

Ok guys, I have a 2013 PreRunner with the factory tow package rated for 6500 lbs. I am not going to lift the truck, and plan on using it to tow a camper in the near future. I have towed my share being retired military, but with a larger truck.

I have read the towing bible, and will be buying the proper WD hitch, and break controller.

Also, I'm not going to be off-roading, just some light trails when I hunt.

Anyway. I'm am thinking of adding some support to the rear end to help with sagging, here are my thoughts:

Timbren's to replace the factory bump stops. Also have been told they don't effect the ride when not loaded.

And a sway bar, but not sure which brand.

Is this overkill?

What are your thoughts?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Tntucker1

Sorry, looking at getting about a 21 to 23' trailer around 4000lbs empty
Old 06-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
gordi is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
gordi's Tacoma Gallery
air bag the rear and you will be way happier.
just use a bike pump to air up and down
Old 06-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
Tntucker1

With airbags, could be a lot of maintenance I would guess... I'll check out the warranty on them also. I was wanting a set and forget approach.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
My Timbrens work great.

The rear does have to sag a little to settle on them but I have had no feeling of instability while using them before I had my WD hitch.

I hate the sag and have been considering a HD spring pack to offset the weak stock springs. OZ has presented the Wheelers HD spring set as a good alternative to the other spring packs that will give you a considerable lift.

I may be wasting my money but I am buying a Toytec AAL just to give it a shot before I spend $500 on new springs...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
Tntucker1

Thanks, ant one have a rear sway bar on a PreRunner?
Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
Sway bar didnt make much of a difference on mine. IF you get one, I do not recommend addco
Old 06-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meat Popsicle
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a 4100 lbs 21 foot travel trailer. I do not use airbags. I do have a high end W/D hitch and brake controller. My truck rides perfectly level and I don't feel out of control with it even at 65 mph.

The S/C does help a lot though, even though it consumes the gas when towing.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #10
fla taco is on a distinguished road

fla taco's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 4300 lb travel trailer(dry weight). I have a blue ox weight distribution hitch that works great. I installed firestone ride rites prior to getting the trailer and love them. I don't off road with my truck so over articulation was not a concern for me. The ride rites have worked well and I've had no issues. I inflate them to between 30-35 pounds when I'm going to be pulling the trailer. Unloaded I leave them at 10psi. I use a bike pump to air them up as stated above. I would recommend the ride rites without hesitation. Good luck
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Tntucker1

I have a tendency to prepare for the worse case. It seems airbags are preferred and not much on sway bars. Thanks for the info on the Wd hitch.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
ArnieSea is on a distinguished road

Name: Arnie
ArnieSea's Tacoma Gallery
I just had Firestone Ride Rites installed on my 2014, DCSB 4X4 w/tow package yesterday. I measured the distance from the ground to the top of my hitch prior to the install - 20 inches. I find that 5# of air has the hitch at the same height as before and I can tell no difference in the ride. When I had it a 10# the hitch was at 21 inches and the ride was a tad rougher. I expect that when I put my bed cover back on I will bump it up a couple of pounds.

I leave to pick up my new camper from the factory in a two weeks. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #13
Tntucker1

Cool, I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes ArnieSea