Notices

Towing capacity?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
curlykyle is on a distinguished road
Navy: Corpsman
Name: Kyle
curlykyle's Tacoma Gallery
Towing capacity?

I recently purchased a 2012 Tacoma TRD Off-road with tow package and need to tow my 1979 Ford F100 from Pensacola,Fl to Ft. Payne, Al. Is that too much to haul with my truck? I've had some tell me it should with no problem but wanted to get your input on this. I am new to the forum so any tips and pointers are appreciated.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC it's 6500 lbs. If you get on the highway leave it in '4', otherwise the transmission might get a little hot trying to search for gears.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Would trailer brakes be a must?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
zmw is one of the sharper tools in the shedzmw is one of the sharper tools in the shedzmw is one of the sharper tools in the shedzmw is one of the sharper tools in the shedzmw is one of the sharper tools in the shedzmw is one of the sharper tools in the shedzmw is one of the sharper tools in the shedzmw is one of the sharper tools in the shedzmw is one of the sharper tools in the shedzmw is one of the sharper tools in the shedzmw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
zmw's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer brakes are a safety measure, necessary? no - but a VERY good idea when towing something that heavy. Towing the truck on a flatbed you will be right at the capacity of the Tacoma to safely tow so doing so without brakes just makes it sketchy.

You can do it, just travel slower and safer distances, realize that when you stop you are having to stop a trailer that has no self braking - also be careful not to brake and turn as the trailer can literally push the back of your trailer around (ask me how i know!)

good luck, be safe.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Professional Grease Monkey
JustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Maintenance
Name: J
JustAddMud's Tacoma Gallery
My phone's not letting me search but search this forum for 'towing bible'. It is a great resource for all your towing needs. If you have the towing package on your truck, it comes prewired for a trailer brake controller and it is already equipped with a transmission cooler. If that's all you're going to tow, you should be alright. Find that post I mentioned and you will be all squared away. Got a big PCS coming up eh? I pulled a 6k Uhaul 800 miles without any issues.

-J
Old 06-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Awesome. Thanks for the replies. Any recommendations on trailer brake?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
nd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shednd4spdbh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
nd4spdbh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
IIRC it's 6500 lbs. If you get on the highway leave it in '4', otherwise the transmission might get a little hot trying to search for gears.
yeah if you find that its hunting for gears or constantly not in 5th lockup drop it to 4th so the torque converter clutch can lockup.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlykyle View Post
Would trailer brakes be a must?
It would be illegal and dangerous if you didn't have trailer brakes for that kind of weight!

If you are towing with a U-Haul auto transporter, it will have surge brakes on the trailer.