1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is a mini lite to much

Discussion in 'Towing' started by cripto101, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Jun 22, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    cripto101

cripto101 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello everyone.
    I am new to the forums but have been lurking for along time. Thank you everyone who has put in some great information that i am sure has help others as much as it has helped me. Now to the questions I have!
    My wife and i are looking at getting a Forest River Mini Lite 2306 or 2504S. Links are down below. Now I did read the towing bible and i have been trying to apply that information but I just do not know what is right and what is not. I keep feeling very confused. I have a 2010 prerunner double cab with a long bed and a 4.0L V-6. Not sure if that is all the information you need or not but hey figured i would put it in. If I am doing my math right I dont think the 2504s would work with a taco and that makes me sad but I wanted to get conformation. Thank you all for your time and attention.

The campers we are looking at are
    Mini Lite 2306
    Dry weight = 3836
    dry hitch = 430
    Cargo weight = 956

Mini Lite 2504S
    dry weight = 4377
    dry hitch = 430
    cargo weight = 1833
    http://www.forestriverinc.com/Trave...rplandetails&floorplanid=2944&RVType=trailers
    2504S
    http://www.forestriverinc.com/Trave...rplandetails&floorplanid=5448&RVType=trailers

2. Jun 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    Is your truck a manual or auto? If auto, does it have the factory tow package?

How far and how often and what type of terrain are you taking this trailer?

Your truck will likely pull either and a brake controller is a must. If it was me, I'd be looking for a lighter trailer but only you know what you want, need, and for what reasons.

3. Jun 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    cripto101

Member:
    It is an auto with a factory tow package. The area is south carolina so its kind of flat. Not thinking of taking this up into the hills. I want to use it a dozen or so times a year and never more then 200 miles one way. Aside from the brake controller is there any other add ons that would be recommended? I know the springs or airbags and a tranny cooler but not sure of anything else.

4. Jun 22, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    I don't think you 'need' and additional trans cooler but I don't think it'll hurt unless you end up blocking airflow to another cooler. I'd skip it. I just bought the Prodigy 3 and wouldn't buy a different controller ever again. It's expensive but so worth it. It's nearly plug and play and works as seamlessly as any brake controller I've used. I used to shop on price. Never again.

Weight distribution and sway control hitch. I've used and recommend the appropriate size Equalizer Brand. It can be noisy but works fantastic. It's sturdy and it's not that noisy. Only when making tight turns as the arms slide on the bracket. The first few times it's disconcerting but it's normal and once you acclimate you don't really think about it.

Other than that, mirrors and possibly a remote camera for the rear of the trailer as I expect they are numerous and inexpensive. I'd think you could find one w/ it's own wifi and just connect it to your phone. I'd also imagine you could tap it into your 12 volt system on the trailer like the trailer brakes/lights for power. I've haven't done any research but I had a similar capability on a Parrot Drone and it ran on a small lithium ion battery and weighed only a few lbs. It had it's own wifi and transmitted an image from a camera to my iPhone. And had much more range than even the longest RV/trailers.

5. Jun 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    cripto101

Member:
    Thank you for the great information and all your help. One last question, should i worry about the springs? If i needed to upgrade them i will but will it really help at all?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  6. Jun 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    I like the idea of airbags. I haven't ever used them but most people who have report good results. Factory ride, ability to adjust to the needed load, and ability to level for appropriate towing angles. Not too expensive and install is 2 wrenches out of 5 at most. The in cab air controller, if you opt for one and I wouldn't, would be a more difficult install.

7. Jun 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    Jefes Taco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    The TRD supercharger would be extremely helpful. :D

8. Jun 22, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    campthewestcoast

campthewestcoast Oceanfisherman

Member:
    Napa, CA
    Power extend/retract towing mirrors,brake controller,30amp charging system for TT,snug top camper
    Both trailers will work, the wieght of the 2504S is the the same as my 23ft.I just got home from a 16 day 3210mile camping journey thru the Rockies with a pass of 11,000 ft. The truck and trailer worked great!!!! But there are somethings I did- brake controller( I think its a P3, high quality),WDH with sway control, towing mirrors(I use powervisionmirrors.com off a 98 chevy), and a 91/2x 11 transmission cooler to replace the small stock one.Pictures of my rig in my gallery.

9. Jun 23, 2014 at 4:49 AM
    Zackbo

Zackbo Member

Member:
    I just got back from a weekend camping in South Carolina (my original home state) in my Forest River Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604. As said, need good WD hitch, brake controller, and probably some type of friction or cam sway control. I don't have upgraded springs or air bags and truck does fine.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  10. Jun 23, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    cripto101

Member:
    Cool thank you all so much for the good information. Kind of nervous about something like this. I don't want to burn some money or wreck my truck. Thanks again.

11. Jul 15, 2014 at 4:42 AM
    woodchip

woodchip Well-Known Member

Member:
    calgary,ab
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco 4x4 v6 manual
    firestone ride-rites
    I have a mini-lite 1809.3300 lbs.4500 gvwr.This is the limit for this truck to me.still comfortable at that weight.only 260 hitch weight.and I have airbags and wd hitch.you might stretch to the 2306 but the 2504 is just too heavy to me .no room for error.good luck and be careful

Products Discussed in

To Top