Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Street Glide in bed of truck

Old 06-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Street Glide in bed of truck

Just curious, can I put my, 2009 Street glide in the bed of the truck. Truck is a 2012, access cab, 4 cylinder. Was unable to find this particular bike while searching. Weighs about 800 pounds. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #2
jpfunk21 is on a distinguished road
jpfunk21's Tacoma Gallery
You can fit it I guess but only with the gate down and I bent my gate with the honda. I wouldn't put my soft tail on that gate unless it was a must!

Ps. Anyone got a silver streak talegate up for grabs???
Old 06-24-2014, 03:10 AM   #3
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynch View Post
Just curious, can I put my, 2009 Street glide in the bed of the truck. Truck is a 2012, access cab, 4 cylinder. Was unable to find this particular bike while searching. Weighs about 800 pounds. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
What's your gvwr? Probably on one of those stickers in the drivers door jamb. Access cab so you have a six foot bed. It should fit all the way. Put a board across the tailgate while loading. Also for a good laugh watch some loading fails on YouTube (What not to do!)
Old 06-24-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
My Yamaha FZ1 weighs half what your street glide does and I was always worried when loading it using ramps that hang off the tailgate. I bent the shit out of the tailgate, but nothing you could see on the outside- just the inner surface of the tailgate. I used 2x6 ramps I made with those kits you can buy at home depot. I'd walk up one ramps while I throttled the bike up the other. My FZ1 has a short wheelbase and I still had to keep the tailgate open, but it might fit closed if you kitty corner the bike.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
darektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to beholddarektylka is a splendid one to behold
Name: Darek
darektylka's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine, just place a board on the tailgate under the rear tire
Old 06-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #6
tomwil is a glorious beacon of lighttomwil is a glorious beacon of lighttomwil is a glorious beacon of lighttomwil is a glorious beacon of lighttomwil is a glorious beacon of light

tomwil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfunk21 View Post
Ps. Anyone got a silver streak talegate up for grabs???
There is one for sale here.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
My Yamaha FZ1 weighs half what your street glide does and I was always worried when loading it using ramps that hang off the tailgate. I bent the shit out of the tailgate, but nothing you could see on the outside- just the inner surface of the tailgate. I used 2x6 ramps I made with those kits you can buy at home depot. I'd walk up one ramps while I throttled the bike up the other. My FZ1 has a short wheelbase and I still had to keep the tailgate open, but it might fit closed if you kitty corner the bike.
I always used a ratcheting tie-down to secure my ramp to my truck
Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Id be concerned about the length too. Bed is what? 6' or so? My crotch rocket is probably 6'8" or longer. That Street Glide has got to be longer than that, plus you need some sort of wheel chock up front which will push it back even further. That bike is probably about 8' end-to-end.
That's a lot of weight on the tailgate (if the tire isn't on/off the edge) and makes it hard to strap it down being that far back
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ya... I wouldn't.
#1, just running a bagger up the ramp is the stuff that Youtube videos are made of. 800 pounds gets sideways FAST when you lose your balance or your grip slips at a critical time, all while man-handling the thing into a bed that's really too small.

The 800lbs is not a problem for the bed of the truck, but the tailgate is weak-sauce, and you aren't going to get the bike fully into the bed, even with the bags removed.
It's a 5'4" wheelbase, so figuring the tires are about 26", add 13" to the front and back, you're at 7'6" overall length... it's going to be 6'5" from the front of the front tire to the footprint of the rear tire... that's calling it REALLY close for the Tacoma's 6' bed... the rear tire might rest on the hinge, might be a bit long.

Rent a trailer and enjoy your trip.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #10

robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Make a "sled" for the bed that would accommodate the full length of the bike. Tailgate would be protected.
I agree with Rich. Rent/use a trailer.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #11
RIDE IT!!!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #12
COLD ASS HONKY
MagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMagneticTaco79 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AARON
MagneticTaco79's Tacoma Gallery
This is just a bad idea. Trailer.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #13
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses. I need my luggage and, tent, and other items. I normally would ride it, but I just can't fit what I need in two saddle bags. I arranged for a local to procure the items I need and shipping the rest ahead of time. Costs a lot more, but I would rather ride. The sled is an awesome idea. I saw not going to use Ramps, I was going off a loading dock.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
Enjoy the ride!