Notices

help buying trailer tires

Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
sskarr151 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: FF/EMT S.V.F.D.
Name: Scott
sskarr151's Tacoma Gallery
help buying trailer tires

i have a 18ft landscape trailer that is rated for 7000lbs. the cheap tires from tractor supply wear out way to fast. what tire would you all recommend. i dont want to break the bank, but want a good tire.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
F-125Racer is on a distinguished road

F-125Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Goodyear Marathon. Run the biggest one you can fit, and go 10psi more air pressure than the sidewall says. The 10psi extra is right off of the Goodyear website.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Expat Aussie
SilverGraphite is on a distinguished road
SilverGraphite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-125Racer View Post
go 10psi more air pressure than the sidewall says. The 10psi extra is right off of the Goodyear website.
Where is that on their website? I wasn't able to find it. Running tires over-pressure is the best way I know to cause a blowout!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #4

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...plications.pdf

Actually, higher air pressure helps reduce tire temperature since the tire isn't flexing as much. Google Goodyear Marathon and you'll find plenty of reading on the subject. I tow several thousand miles per year and I've not had a single tire issue since I saw this bulletin and increased the pressure. Before that, I'd loose about a tire per year to tread separation. I'd check the temps at each gas stop with an IR gun and occasionally I'd catch one just before it blew as the temp would spike as it was starting to come apart. This is all very well documented on several RV sites.
This bulletin has ben out for several years, even though it's dated 2014.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
Fiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud ofFiddy has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
Fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
carlisle is always a decent brand
or try going to a LT tire if you can fit them
Old 07-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #6

I saw about the same thing with both Carlisle and Bridgestones, LT tires were worse, I went thru them very quickly. I might add I'm within 10% of max rated load on the Marathons, I travel at highway speeds most of the time, and most of my travel is in the summer.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskarr151 View Post
i have a 18ft landscape trailer that is rated for 7000lbs. the cheap tires from tractor supply wear out way to fast. what tire would you all recommend. i dont want to break the bank, but want a good tire.
What rated sidewall are running in trailer tires? I think you should be running E rated Trailer tires, even if you have to change the rim size and stay away from china made trailer tires. I'm running D rated for my trailer( Maxxis 8008 ) tires but these are the most exspensive tires out there.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #8
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Don't buy your trailer tires at TSC, go to a local truck tire place, and they can get you special duty trailer tires.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
Spindifferent's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/trailer.jsp
Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Expat Aussie
SilverGraphite is on a distinguished road
SilverGraphite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-125Racer View Post
https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...plications.pdf

Actually, higher air pressure helps reduce tire temperature since the tire isn't flexing as much. Google Goodyear Marathon and you'll find plenty of reading on the subject. I tow several thousand miles per year and I've not had a single tire issue since I saw this bulletin and increased the pressure. Before that, I'd loose about a tire per year to tread separation. I'd check the temps at each gas stop with an IR gun and occasionally I'd catch one just before it blew as the temp would spike as it was starting to come apart. This is all very well documented on several RV sites.
This bulletin has ben out for several years, even though it's dated 2014.
Agree that higher air pressure within spec will help keep the tires cooler. But that PSB only says that IF you are going to run the tires overspeed (i.e. faster than 65mph) then you should increase pressure 10 psi based on the trailer placarded inflation. Nowhere does it say to go over the max pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire.

I run Goodyear Marathons on a trailer loaded out to about 6500lbs (gross is 7000). I've put close to 30,000 miles over 7 years on it and am on my second set of tires. I run them at 5 psi under the max pressure listed on the sidewall and I've never had a tread separation or a blowout and the tread wear pattern is normal. On the other hand, I don't overspeed the tires either, 'cause it just kills my gas mileage.

YMMV.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy View Post
carlisle is always a decent brand
or try going to a LT tire if you can fit them
Last I read, Carlisle were Chinese tires, a good LT tire is the way I would go. Or buy the Maxxis 8008...
Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
taco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco206's Tacoma Gallery
I recently bought some Carlisle load range D 205-75-15 radials. Tires in this size are usually load range C and pump to 50 PSI and are bias ply. The carlisles I bought pump to 65 psi. They have been great so far. Look for them, they are the ones to get for sure. Don't get bias ply.