Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Help Towing Question

Old 07-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
rduke32 is on a distinguished road
rduke32's Tacoma Gallery
Help Towing Question

Hi All,

I just got my 1st Taco. It is a 2014 Dbl Cab 4x4 with the TRD Off Road Package and the Class IV Tow Package. I am super new to trucks and towing. This is what I am looking at as far as a travel trailer as well the important numbers for both. I need some help determining if I am way off base or if it is doable. I am probably not towing more than 150 miles at the most.
GCWR 11180 Lbs
GVWR 5500 lbs
Cargo Capacity 1250
Tow Capacity is 6500 lbs
Tongue Weight is 650 lbs

The travel trailer is a Kodiak 24BHSL. Factory Numbers are:
Dry Weight 5049
Capacity is 1551
Total Weight 6600, which I realize is 100 over towing capacity but, I will mostly be towing Dry with some cargo but no water.
Hitch Weight 606

Is this something that my Taco could pull. Agian 99% of the time pulling dry the other 1% would be pulling dry and the last 5 miles or so would be with some water. In the truck would be 2 Adults, 1 child and 1 small dog and one medium dog.

Again just bought the truck, it is my 1st truck and have no towing experience.

Thank for any help you all can provide.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
skeighter is on a distinguished road
skeighter's Tacoma Gallery
I'd look for something smaller. We tow a 18' Hybrid that's around 3300 dry, over 4000 loaded. Drags it fine. But you know it's there, even with trailer brakes and a wd hitch. We did a 1800 mile trek outta state last summer. No fun. Pain in the butt to tow (you can't use the cruise control, it either jams on the gas or lightens up). And 9.5 mpg sucks balls!!! I'm sticking to short treks in California. Damn I wish I'd kept my popup for long hauls :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmans.army View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...ing-bible.html
Check out the towing bible. Useful info.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
Spindifferent's Tacoma Gallery
What are the roads and topography like over those 150 miles? Mountains, flats, gusty winds, interstate, highway, backroads, off road, etc.

Towing right at max capacity can be done, but is no fun.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
I think you will be able to tow it but I also think it is too much trailer for a Tacoma...

You will be much happier with something more appropriately sized. I also think the numbers that they put on them from the factory are pure fiction!
Before you put even one thing in that trailer I bet it is over 6k if not closer to your max.
If you really think you must have it, take it, as it sits, to a scale and weigh it! Do this "BEFORE" you buy it!
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Zackbo is on a distinguished road
Zackbo's Tacoma Gallery
I'm towing one almost identical with the same truck. You're definitely gonna know it's back there, but you will also be surprised how well the Taco handles it. I could easily afford a new Tundra, but don't see why considering I'd much rather be driving the Taco the 90% of the time I'm un-hitched. Get a good WD hitch with sway control, and a good brake controller. Take time learning how she feels. Start off with short trips and move your way up. Have a hitch and un-hitch check list so you don't forget anything. You're gonna want a 'arrive at campsite' and 'leaving campsite' checklist anyway. Have fun!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
rduke32 is on a distinguished road
rduke32's Tacoma Gallery
Hey All,

Thanks for the responses! Good food for thought!