Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing boat with 2.7L, close to the limit?

Old 07-13-2014, 04:00 AM   #1
jaymoussy is on a distinguished road
jaymoussy's Tacoma Gallery
Question Towing boat with 2.7L, close to the limit?

I have a base 2.7L, with aftermarket hitch only, and may consider towing a 19-20 ft boat, which would be very close to the 3500-lbs limit, rolling.

How close (or slightly over) can I go, low speed, flat, short distances (5 miles)?

Another side consideration is, will the 2.7 have enough grunt to pull out of the boat ramps? I believe it will, but have no experience here.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Low and slow, you can pull a train with a lawnmower.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
you will be fine with the 2.7, especially for a short distance. the only time a 2.7 would be inadvisable would be if you had a really steep climb. I've towed ~ 3000 lbs for about 500 miles and it did fine, just didn't have any passing power
Old 07-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
And 4low will have enough torque for the ramp.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
jtyson123 is on a distinguished road
jtyson123's Tacoma Gallery
Over the years I've towed a lot of big trailers with all sorts of vehicles and I can say that you can just about get a minivan to pull a 53' if the conditions are right and it only has to go a few feet. Just be easy on her and you will be more than fine!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
The only time I would be concerned is if you are launching on dirt ramps and you don't have 4x4 (I see you have a base Taco, but no mention of drivetrain). I have been really, REALLY happy that I had 4wd pulling my boat out of a dirt ramp before. On a concrete ramp you should be fine pulling that boat out no problem (and most dirt ramps).