1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4/7 Pin Multi-Tow Wiring Install

Discussion in 'Towing' started by johnnychimpo711, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Jul 20, 2014 at 3:43 PM
    johnnychimpo711

johnnychimpo711 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    23 PreRunner SR5
    Removed the dealer tag holder…that’s it.
    I've been a member here for a while, and I typically only come on here when I have issues with my truck, or when I'm trying to install something. This time I get to give back a little. I recently decided that I was going to convert a cargo trailer to a toy hauler, and in doing that, I found that I need to make some upgrades to my Tacoma. First thing's first, I am not an expert at this; I just think about how I can do something to make it look "factory". That being said, this is just the way I did it, use these photos as reference if you feel the need to do this. My Tacoma did not come with the "towing package", and I wanted to be able to connect the cargo trailer and use the included trailer brakes. I ordered the following parts:

Hopkins vehicle wiring kit #40975 Link and #40985 Link
    Draw-Tite Activator III brake controller

[​IMG]

For this initial thread, I will only discuss the 4/7 Pin Multi-Tow wiring harness install. I really want to focus on the multi-tow connector for this post, and I'll go back and discuss the wiring bit later. The mount that comes with the kit is perfect for the under-side of the bumper, but some modifications to the trim are required.

[​IMG]

The instructions in the kit explain the wiring bit better than I can, so here are some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In order to mount the connector, you must remove the trim for the bumper. There are two snap rivets on top, and two 12mm bolts on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Once you have the trim loose, mock-up the cut where the mount will go. I used a pencil and just held the mount approximately where I wanted it to go. Take your time with this bit, otherwise it will look ratty and "unprofessional".

[​IMG]

Cut inside the line, and continue to trim out the piece until you get the snug fit you want.

[​IMG]

Once you get it where you want it, bolt everything up. You may have to modify the mount in order to get it to fit.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
    Squirt likes this.
  2. Jul 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Nice write up...I was debating having UHaul install or DIY and it looks like I can save $150 doing it myself..

3. Aug 15, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    johnnychimpo711

johnnychimpo711 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    23 PreRunner SR5
    Removed the dealer tag holder…that’s it.
    I totally agree...DIY is way more fun anyways. I installed my brake controller using the towing bible help...ran my own 10awg wire. Feeling accomplished now that I finally picked up my 7x14 enclosed trailer, and the brakes work!

4. Oct 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    sub'd for refrence

5. Jan 12, 2024 at 8:35 AM
    oldtimertoyota

oldtimertoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2009 4X4 Double Cab-1986 2wd Pickup Orig own
    Nice write up, I’m considering getting a little camper and only have the standard 4 prong. I’ll be doing more research but glad I found this thread

6. Jan 12, 2024 at 10:44 AM
    pdxyota

pdxyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Newberg, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 5M 2TR-FE SR5 Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    TSB x 2 because first TSB leaf springs broke
    This is basically what I did to mine, but UHaul installed it for around $350 ;) I have a Curt Bluetooth brake controller, so it's on the app and no physical controller to install.

Products Discussed in

To Top