Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

No interior lights in enclosed trailer

Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Storis is on a distinguished road
Storis's Tacoma Gallery
No interior lights in enclosed trailer

My daughter has a 2006 Tacoma with the factory tow package, and uses an enclosed trailer for her business, the interior lights in the trailer don't work, and the brake controller says there is no trailer connected.

My ford-150 had a fuse that the factory leaves out (probably for liability reasons) that had to be put in, in order for the interior lights on this trailer to work on my truck (haven't tried the brake controller on my truck yet).

I am wondering if there is a fuse that has to be installed on the Tacoma to get the lights and controller to work? If there is where is it located and what amp is it, I looked in her manual but didn't find anything about it. My Ford manual didn't mention a fuse either, I wound up taking my truck and the trailer to the dealer she bought the trailer from and they put the fuse in.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Does the trailer use a 4 pin plug or the 7 pin? On mine (4 pin) you have to have the parking lights on to use them. Mine has a switch to turn them on and it gets it's power from the parking lights on the trailer.

Does the trailer actually have brakes on the axle? That could be why the controller isn't showing anything or if using the 7 to 4 pin adapter it would probably show the same.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check for continuity on the bulb?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
There is a relay in the fuse box under the hood. Check to make sure it is actally there. Its location is marked on the inside of the fuse box lid.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Storis's Tacoma Gallery
The plug is the round 7 pin plug, not the flat 4 plug. Yes the trailer has brakes , there is a battery on the hitch with emergency break away cable that actuated the brakes if the trailer ever came loose.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Check the lights with the ignition on. There won't be 12v power to the plug with the engine off.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
In my experience with my boat trailers is that 9/10 times its a grounding problem. My parents horse trailer had a grounding problem and none of the lights worked.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
If the trailer has a battery it should light the lights unless it a little one just for the breaks. The trailer plug 12 volt charge feed will not work unless the key in the truck is on to keep the truck battery isolated from the camper battery while it's not running. If you have the factory set up it should have 12 volts at pin 4 only with the key on. If you are looking at the truck trailer connector it will be at 1:00 o'clock
Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Storis's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help I will check for power on pin 4 and check to be sure the relay is in the fuse box. It maybe a couple weeks before I can do it she is taking the truck on vacation. I will let you know how I make out.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
Jefes Taco has a spectacular aura aboutJefes Taco has a spectacular aura about

Jefes Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My cargo trailer's interior light will not light unless the headlights on the truck are on while plugged into the truck. Pretty much useless.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
Storis's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got a chance to check the pug on the truck, there is power on pin 4. I am going to run a jumper wire between pin 4 on the truck and the trailer plug, and another for the ground and see if I get interior lights that way. if I do that will mean loose connection within the plug, probably on the truck side.