1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Tacoma 4 cyl class III hitch

Discussion in 'Towing' started by oldranger821, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Aug 26, 2014 at 12:25 AM
    oldranger821

oldranger821 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fort Walton Beach, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Quicksand SR5 V6
    Been a long time since I posted a question here. Had a class III hitch installed at Uhaul. I ""Thought"" I seen what looked like a plug hanging down next to the bumper. My Tacoma does Not have the towing package. I had tow an open trailer about 250 miles last Saturday with no lights on the trailer. It was bright daylight all the way so it was not a big problem. My question is there wiring for a trailer that is put on all tacoma's. I spoke with my dealer and they said it normally is there. Second question. Where do I start looking. Uhaul wants 68 bucks to do it.

john in FWB

2. Aug 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
  3. Aug 27, 2014 at 3:48 AM
    oldranger821

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fort Walton Beach, Fl
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. that gives me more info on it. It has a video which is nice and easy. I have the extended warranty on my Taco so I will check with the dealer about voiding it if some else does the install. I am not mechanically inclined so I would probably mess it up. I had a minor sugical procedure done on my back as well so i can't do it.

4. Aug 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    Mobtown Offroad

Mobtown Offroad Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Harrington, DE
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 4Runner
    4cyl does not come from factory with anything tow related. You can add a 4 pin (which gives you lights only on the trailer) by simply plugging into the tail lights on the truck. YOu can add a 7 pin that gives you lights and brakes but to have brakes you have to install a break controller. A little more involved but still doable.

5. Aug 30, 2014 at 4:18 AM
    oldranger821

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fort Walton Beach, Fl
    Vehicle:
    OK Thanks Arsenj. All I need is the lights for a trailer that i might rent and tow. Nothing big. That load was about the limit that i will tow with my TACO. Thankfully it was down here is the panhandle of Florida where the highest point is 212 feet!!!:p No big hills as the 4 cycl was a little bit taxed on the gradual ones I encountered. I had about 1400 of the allowed 1650 on the trailer. With all that said , It (TACO) did a great job. :D

6. Sep 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    Southernbella

Southernbella Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isabella
    Coquitlam
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Bilstein 3" lift with 31s and pro comp alloy wheels
    I'm not sure what the law is in the states but up here in Canada its illegal to tow a trailer with no lights. I would recommend getting some trailer wiring before continuing on your next journey!

Trailer wiring is vehicle specific. Most people I know who don't have the tow package got their wiring kits from Hitchweb and it's just a direct plug in. However, if you cannot plug it in directly you would need a circuit protected modulite which means you would have to hard wire it in. I'm sure if you called them they could be more helpful than me :) Here is the link to their website: T-Connector Tacoma

7. Sep 27, 2014 at 4:00 AM
    oldranger821

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fort Walton Beach, Fl
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I went ahead and bit the bullet on the wiring just after I got back. Uhaul wired it with a t100 wiring harness. I was in a bit of a rock in a hard place with towing the stuff back from Lake City Florida. Was on a time schedule, could only have the helper for that day, I have 4 pinched nerves in my back so I could not do it by myself. Had to be out of the storage unit that day.

Products Discussed in

To Top