Notices

Towing Suggestions?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
ahogue is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
ahogue's Tacoma Gallery
Towing Suggestions?

Hey guys -

I've been on this forum a bit, but finally just registered, with a question of course.

I just bought a 2014 Tacoma double cab 4x4 trd sport. I used to have a 1998 Jeep XJ.

Question is - I'm going to be moving back to the Bay Area from Orange county and will be moving with my girlfriend. I'm trying to determine the best way to move all our stuff...

Quick version: Anyone have experience with a 4x4 v6 Tacoma towing a larger (maybe 6x12??) enclosed U-haul type trailer? Suggestions - problems, tips? The truck is stock.

Long version / Backstory: I did the move from the bay to San Diego about 5 years ago with I think it was a 6x12 enclosed trailer, very full. My old I6 4x4 jeep cherokee was able to do the job, but was sagging very hard in the rear, and honestly was probably more than I should have put for the age of the car at the time. If anyone is familiar with the norcal-socal drive - I avoided the 5, and giant grapevine hills, and instead took the 101, with slightly smaller hills near LA. The jeep made it, but it was a struggle. I had my zx6r, furtniture, basically all the crap I owned filled throughout my jeep and trailer. It worked, but I wouldn't have done it again, and I felt like the rear leaf springs on my jeep took a pretty heavy hit. It was also like 113 out that day (not kidding it was a ridiculous day). - With that being said - aside from this towing experiene (couple hundred miles with larger enclosed u-haul, and also towing 2 motorcycles behind my moms Jeep grand cherokee) I don't have much other knowledge of towing.

So just wondering if i should be worried about the truck - or if it will be an easy move?

Thanks.

-Alex
Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
arsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarsenj0365 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
arsenj0365's Tacoma Gallery
As long as your Tacoma came with the tow package (Class IV Hitch, trans cooler, larger battery, larger alternator, 4 pin plug) I wouldn't worry at all. If not, I wouldn't tow off the bumper. I would get a hitch and 4 pin plug installed. The Tacoma is a much more capable tow truck than an XJ. Load trailer with weight distributed evenly and you'll be fine.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
I moved from SD to middle of nowhere AZ with one of those 6x12 Uhaul trailers your truck will sag a bit when full bit you should be fine. Pulled it up and down some pretty big hills too.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
ahogue is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
ahogue's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome news. Thanks guys. And yea I have the tow Package.

Just reserved it for the move next weekend.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:37 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have any idea what the overall weight is??

The size of the trailer isn't the issue (well, maybe for 'controllability)- its the WEIGHT.

If you have the towing package and are within the towing capacity (6500lbs), you should be fine. Do not go above the towing capacity.

How you set things up is another story for proper handling and safety.