Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

What't the best current model for towing?

Old 10-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #1
Spencer97TJ is on a distinguished road
Name: Spence
Spencer97TJ's Tacoma Gallery
What't the best current model for towing?

I am looking for a new or low mileage double cab tacoma. I am very new to tacomas. I swear I saw a long bed double cab recently.

If you guys were to buy a tacoma for towing today, which model would you get?

I am towing an 18 foot travel trailer. A Jeep Liberty pulls it ok, but I want to upgrade to a Double Cab Taco.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Any of the V6 models should pull that trailer nicely. A TRD Sport or Off Road will come with the tow package. Just make sure you get the factory tow package which has a bigger alternator, battery, a transmission cooler and of course the hitch and harness.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
Burghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurghlar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Burghlar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Any of the V6 models should pull that trailer nicely. A TRD Sport or Off Road will come with the tow package. Just make sure you get the factory tow package which has a bigger alternator, battery, a transmission cooler and of course the hitch and harness.
What he said.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
the above - but also with automatic transmission.

The V6 with 6 speed manual is not well suited to towing heavy trailers.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
the above - but also with automatic transmission.

The V6 with 6 speed manual is not well suited to towing heavy trailers.
Tows mine fine and I can even use 6th gear how about your automatic use O/D much?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
rademan11 is on a distinguished road
rademan11's Tacoma Gallery
My self imposed rule is try not to pull more than 2/3s of the rated towing capacity.
My experience has been the closer you get to max weight, the worse the truck gets.
Up hills, acceleration etc. all become intolerable close to max weight.
If your going to be pushing the weight rating with your trailer, might want to look at a bigger truck.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Tows mine fine and I can even use 6th gear how about your automatic use O/D much?
It's been a couple years - but there was a member on here who went round and round with the dealer on warranty repair of the 6 speed.

Ultimately, the tech investigation department resolution was to get the dealer to trade him into an AT model.

The usage pattern was, IIRC, that he used a heavy travel trailer - right at the weight limit - and often had to back it into a slightly uphill parking/camping spot.

So the transmission failed multiple times in the same way. Pretty much ever since, the "TW collective wisdom" has been to avoid the 6 speed for towing heavy trailers.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder about it and I'm glad yours is working well for you.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:59 AM   #8
Thanks for the reply. I love manuals, but I still have a modded 5 speed TJ to get that experience.

I am towing a 18 ft fun finder and don't have plans for a bigger camper.

http://www.cruiserrv.com/products/fu.../item/f-189fbs

Axle Weight (lbs) 2,865
Hitch Weight (lbs) 290
Dry Weight (lbs) 3,155
Cargo Capacity (lbs) 2,735

A 3.7 ltr libby pulls it OK (just OK) with sway bars and a brake controller, but I just want something a step up from that.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #9
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer97TJ View Post
Thanks for the reply. I love manuals, but I still have a modded 5 speed TJ to get that experience.

Axle Weight (lbs) 2,865
Hitch Weight (lbs) 290
Dry Weight (lbs) 3,155

A 3.7 ltr libby pulls it OK (just OK) with sway bars and a brake controller, but I just want something a step up from that.
IMHO, the longer wheelbase truck should do a better job. When you get your truck, you should consider getting the ProEFX towing mirrors, they make a huge difference. Thread OP (mach1man001) will probably do another group buy in the Spring. If you can't wait, his company usually has them in stock. Good luck finding the right truck.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #10
js312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
js312's Tacoma Gallery
I would think a double cab long bed would be best for towing due to the longer wheelbase (stability).

Or maybe I'm just biased.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #11
mach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
mach1man001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Axle Weight (lbs) 2,865
Hitch Weight (lbs) 290
Dry Weight (lbs) 3,155

I think you would notice a big differenece if you stepped up to a Taco. The Tacoma would have no probelm pulling that trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
IMHO, the longer wheelbase truck should do a better job. When you get your truck, you should consider getting the ProEFX towing mirrors, they make a huge difference. Thread OP (mach1man001) will probably do another group buy in the Spring. If you can't wait, his company usually has them in stock. Good luck finding the right truck.
Thanks Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by js312 View Post
I would think a double cab long bed would be best for towing due to the longer wheelbase (stability).

X2.

The only thing is that you can not get a double cab long bed with the manual transmission so if you want a 6 speed you can get a DBL Cab short bed. If you want an auto you can get it with either long or short bed. GL
Old 10-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
It's been a couple years - but there was a member on here who went round and round with the dealer on warranty repair of the 6 speed.

Ultimately, the tech investigation department resolution was to get the dealer to trade him into an AT model.

The usage pattern was, IIRC, that he used a heavy travel trailer - right at the weight limit - and often had to back it into a slightly uphill parking/camping spot.

So the transmission failed multiple times in the same way. Pretty much ever since, the "TW collective wisdom" has been to avoid the 6 speed for towing heavy trailers.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder about it and I'm glad yours is working well for you.
Well in his case the clutch should have failed before the gear box the trans is capable of towing any thing up to the rated load or they would never sold a truck with a factory hitch. Sounds more like driver error than a bad trans. The 6 spd. is rated for a lot more torque that the engine is capable delivering so unless it's abused it should not have failed.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
ASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shedASUAviator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ASUAviator's Tacoma Gallery
Sport has an addition leaf spring... not that its worth a shit. New leafs should be in order either way
Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
Double Cab long bed if you want bed space but you cannot get it manual or with the offroad package. You don't even need the TRD package to get the tow package but you have to know what to look for to identify the tow package. The biggest giveaway is the 7 pin trailer harness.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #15
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by js312 View Post

+ 1 on that. Double cab, either long or short as long as it has the factory two pkg. And I will cast a vote for Pre-Runner IF you don't need 4x4 because of the slightly lesser overall weight.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #16
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Axle Weight (lbs) 2,865
Hitch Weight (lbs) 290
Dry Weight (lbs) 3,155

That thing is pretty heavy loaded it probably pulls fine with twin axles but I bet hills are a killer my 18' is less than 4,000 loaded but it has no slide out. Don't expect much over 10-12 MPG.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #17
just realized that there was a ton of great replies to this.. Well, I have a deposit down on a 2009, sr5 with 58k on it. It fit the budget, and is clean.

OK.. It DOES NOT have the tow package. How much of an issue is it going to be to set it up right for this rv? I have another thread started about needing a tranny cooler. Can I cool this transmission with a simple add on? Do I need to cool it? Did I mess up?
Old 01-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #18
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
You are OK I would surly add a trans cooler. Not having the tow package does drop your capacity as far as Toyota is concerned all though the aftermarket hitch is rated for the load there is a difference the factory one is also bolted to the truck bumper it has no oil cooler or trans cooler a smaller battery and lower output alternator. You will also need to install a brake controller there will be those that say it's not needed but all most every state says you need to have one with a trailer above 1,000# and for good reason. If your trailer is a single axle you also might find that a sway bar would be an asset. I have an 18' with dual axles just about the size you are looking at and I have been every where with it even towing it with the dreaded 6spd for the last 55K miles. Frankly if you enjoy camping you picked a great size trailer to match the truck and it will be easy to tow with out white knuckles.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #19
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
no oil cooler or trans cooler a smaller battery and lower output alternator.
Hey Man, this was the clincher! The deals off. I will be annoyed every single time I make a payment on a rig that's not what I really wanted. Can't swing new right now with other things going on.. So, waiting it out. I need less worries with my tow rig. Towing the funfinder with a liberty (it works, but it's a struggle at times). can't be worrying about adding coolers, hitches etc when for a grand or so more, I can get the tow package.

Thanks for the great advice guys. Almost a costly mess up.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:50 AM   #20
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
You can get the tow package on any V6 Taco and be happy. If you are buying new I think it has a $650 price tag by the time I bought mine it was down to $150 as part of the over all deal. There should be plenty of used ones out there with the package it's a popular option. You will be a lot happier with the Tacoma over the Liberty towing your camper. That's a nice looking camper.