1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer ideas

Discussion in 'Towing' started by gravedgr, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Oct 8, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    gravedgr

gravedgr [OP] dirty Ford driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB TRD Off Road (Blue) - gone
    Method Racing Mesh wheels (17x8.5), Cooper ST Maxx tires (285/70/17), Toytec Ultimate lift (3"), Wet Okole seat covers, WT mats, Gemtex mirror, CF stubby antenna, scoop hood, painted grill surround, SOS bumper, SOS bed rack, Tepui Autana RTT, Engo 10k winch, bed lights, under hood lights, diff breather, 12v bed socket, 31M battery + battery monitor
    Looking for suggestions for a trailer that will work with our RTT + annex, and store most/all of our camping gear.

Price is a key concern and I don't have the ability to retrofit something like a 416 or fab up parts.

2. Oct 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM
    NoSilverBullet

NoSilverBullet N60 member

Member:
    Northern Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 2.7 MT 4wd
    Old Man Emu suspension: 884x coils, Dakar leaf pack, Nitrocharger Sport shocks. Cruisin Offroad bolt-on sliders. Relentless Fabrication aluminum front and mid skid plates + steel transfer case skid. SnugTop Hi-Liner "Sportsman" canopy. Hella Rallye 4000i Xenon (flood beam).
    Those are nice: http://manleyorv.com/trailers/morv-utility.html

They are not as expensive as other heavy-duty off-road trailers that usually come with a bunch of bells and whistles. But if you don't intend to take it off-road at all, there are probably cheaper options out there though.

[​IMG]

3. Oct 9, 2014 at 5:53 AM
    gravedgr

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Method Racing Mesh wheels (17x8.5), Cooper ST Maxx tires (285/70/17), Toytec Ultimate lift (3"), Wet Okole seat covers, WT mats, Gemtex mirror, CF stubby antenna, scoop hood, painted grill surround, SOS bumper, SOS bed rack, Tepui Autana RTT, Engo 10k winch, bed lights, under hood lights, diff breather, 12v bed socket, 31M battery + battery monitor
    Looks nice, but a little too costly for what is included. The best deal was saw at the Overland Expo was a fully enclosed, independent suspension (no axle), trailer with a piston-driven top for $6800. It was essentially the same width and length as a short bed on our trucks.

It seemed like a good deal compared to what I've seen so far, but we're hoping to do better than that on price.

4. Oct 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    NoSilverBullet

Member:
    Northern Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 2.7 MT 4wd
    Old Man Emu suspension: 884x coils, Dakar leaf pack, Nitrocharger Sport shocks. Cruisin Offroad bolt-on sliders. Relentless Fabrication aluminum front and mid skid plates + steel transfer case skid. SnugTop Hi-Liner "Sportsman" canopy. Hella Rallye 4000i Xenon (flood beam).
    Yeah, pretty much every purpose built off-road trailers are in that $6K-$8K range... or more. I'll be interested to know if you ever decide on something.

5. Oct 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
  6. Oct 10, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    gravedgr

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    I was on ExPo this morning and the same thought (looking at classifieds) hit me. I'm cautious about buying used as I don't want to get in the middle of nowhere and have a trailer get stranded due to abuse or poor maintenance. Same reason I generally don't buy used vehicles. If I could find one from someone with a good rep / well known, I'd feel much better.

7. Oct 10, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    A trailer breaking down it is not as serious as the truck breaking down. I would be inclined to take the chance on a good looking trailer if the savings were significant.

8. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM
    NoSilverBullet

Member:
    Northern Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 2.7 MT 4wd
    Also trailers are much simpler than a motor vehicle.

Good frame, axle, suspension, bearings and tires. Not much else that can result in a major failure. And even then, you can always park it there and continue with your main vehicle to get whatever you need for repairs.

9. Oct 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM
    gravedgr

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    All good points. I did some looking today and the things I see missing most often from the trailers for sale are a) a metal top (or any top), b) locking top / tailgate, and c) significant space.

One trailer we saw at OXEast was the Titan ORT (made locally, so I'll probably give them a call and/or visit for more Q&A). I guess it / they are new to the market, but I liked that it was roughly the same size as the short bed on the Tacoma and had options to add a lock to the top (the tailgate locks). I think they told me $6800 which is more than I want to spend, plus we'd have to add a spare and different/higher mounts for our RTT.

Anyhow, that's what I'm using for a yard stick. For anything in the $5-6k range, used, it better have superior features (i.e. roughly same size, but added tongue storage, water storage and/or battery/solar). To find something like the Titan, I would hope to get it for $3-4k used and I'm just not seeing that so far.

Products Discussed in

To Top