1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 Doublecab TRD/Salem CruiseLite 261bhxl

Discussion in 'Towing' started by JET2005, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Oct 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    JET2005

JET2005 [OP] Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off-Road DoubleCab
    Brush guard, tonneau, AirLift air springs
    Hello all...brand new to the forum and this will be my first post, so forgive any etiquette violations please.

I am need of some constructive advice and hopefully first hand experience regarding the towing of a travel trailer. My current everyday driver is a 2007 Doublecab TRD with an auto tranny and factory tow package. My wife and I are getting ready to pickup a 2015 Salem CruiseLite BHXL travel trailer that is 29' in overall length and weighs in at 4730lbs with installed options. I am figuring 600-800lbs of stuff plus the weight of the Reese Dual Cam WDH. I'm not sure what brake controller I'm getting yet, but it will be a trustworthy one. My truck weighs 4800lbs with myself, the wife, and our two daughters. For those trying to keep track, the RV will be coming in at roughly 5500lbs and the truck will be at 5000lbs with the family and WDH installed. The grand total puts me at 10,500lbs with a GCWR of 11,100lbs on that year taco. I have installed a set of AirLift Ride-Control airbags to help with the sag.

My question is whether anyone has towed something of similar size/weight with a taco and what were their experiences, good or bad. I already know I am at the limit when it comes to weight and that a Tundra would more effectively do the job all the way around. However, my wife and I did not want to trade off on the long-term use of the RV for the short-term problem of a possibly undersized truck. Between the RV models we looked at, there was not much weight saved between the one we ordered and the smaller version, so we opted for the one that will serve us for the next 8-10yrs.

I tried posting this question on the Forest River Forums (maker of the RV), but most people wanted to spend their time telling me how stupid or crazy I am for even considering this. I quite possibly may be crazy/naive/stupid or whatever descriptive word you wish to apply for trying it, but I have to get the camper 40 miles to my home and will be towing it maybe 3-5 times a year.

A full-size truck will come sooner than later, but what I have now is my taco and it will have to suffice. I want to hear from those who have "been there, done that" so I can hopefully avoid mistakes and capitalize on the success of others. My backup plan is my Dad's 5.7L Tundra that kicks like a 12ga and has power to spare. He drives it less than 50 miles a week, so the carbon needs blown out anyway!

2. Oct 27, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    white cloud

white cloud white cloud

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Hi there. I would read the "towing bible" in this forum about three times. You need the spring TSB for sure. I tow a 22' Apex with my 2011 V6 TRD. The Apex has a dry weight of 3850 LBS I think. My truck struggles a lot on the Blue Ridge Parkway. This means the gas pedal is on the floor a lot of the time. On flat ground you may be OK. In the hills you are going to have to REALLY patient. I am not bashing Tacos. I have had three and the current one is a great truck. I hope to keep it forever. Honestly I would be preparing the Tundra. My fiancee and I are thinking of getting a larger trailer. If we do I am getting a 3/4 ton truck.

3. Oct 28, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    JET2005

JET2005 [OP] Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    My understanding is the rear spring TSB is only for trucks that are in warranty. My truck is LONG past that time line.

4. Oct 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Another rating to be mindful of is the payload rating. Don't look at what toyota.com says...check out the sticker inside the door jam of your truck. For comparison, my DCSB was 1,080lbs (if memory serves, that includes 150lb driver and full tank of gas). With a traveling weight of 5500lbs, your tongue weight should be ~660lbs, leaving you with (using my number as an example) only 220lbs (deducting 200lbs for your WDH plus deducting any weight over 150 that you are) for your wife, two daughters and any gear you may have in the truck.

That being said, you will probably be over that payload limit. Is your truck going to break if you're slightly over the limit? Not likely. Could you be legally liable if you were in an accident and overloaded? Yes.

Also, 29' seems quite long for the Taco. Given its limited need to tow you would probably be okay if you're not doing cross country trips.

For comparison, my TT weighed in at 4500-5000lbs. I've taken it over two of the highest passes in the country (Colorado). It did its job, even though the motor didn't really like it. I have since moved to a full size as my camping needs and that of a better equipped tow vehicle outweighed that of an offroad rig, for me.

Good luck!

5. Oct 28, 2014 at 4:29 PM
    JET2005

JET2005 [OP] Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    With a wife and two little girls, a full-size truck is not too far away! I want to hang on to my beloved Tacoma as long as possible...plus it's paid for. I'll probably haul the camper 3-5 times a year with the farthest trip being roughly 200 miles. I know I'll be right at the limit, but through careful packing and an attitude of slow and steady, I'm hoping things will work out.
    It appears people have a varying sense of what is "no problem" and what is "crazy". From what I have read on here, some say they have pulled 6000lbs of trailer around with no trouble and others say they could barely move 3,000lbs.

I really like reading and learning from all these threads and appreciate those who have responded.

Products Discussed in

To Top