Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Trailer

Old 04-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
H2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant future

H2447INTX's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer

How well do the tacomas tow?
i am looking ot get a 19' light trailer, i think the weight s about 3700 +- dry ! will my 09 tacoma 4.0 v6 tow this with out the trany falling out ! i have the factory hitch IV , says total towing weight is 6500 !

any input on towing would be great and i have read some of the posts others left !

a simple yes it will tow with no major issues will do thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
www.EvolvedFinance.com
ccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
ccoorreeyy's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Towing Guide

There's a Tacoma Towing Guide under mods and tutorials.

But, for a more simple personal answer, a 19' trailer is pretty big for a Tacoma especially if it weighs 3400 lbs alone. That gives you only 3100 lbs to work with which could add up very fast.

Sounds like a bad ass trailer though.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 16ft tandem car hauler that ways around 1700lbs. loaded with quads it does well.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
No problem towing that. There are plenty of people out there that will tell you that you NEED a 3/4 ton diesel truck for towing anything - ignore them!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Does the trailer have brakes?

Seeing that you're in Texas, I'm thinking you don't have many mountains. Lack of steep grades will help.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Does the trailer have brakes?

Seeing that you're in Texas, I'm thinking you don't have many mountains. Lack of steep grades will help.
Breaks are always nice for those assholes that cut you off
Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post
How well do the tacomas tow?
i am looking ot get a 19' light trailer, i think the weight s about 3700 +- dry ! will my 09 tacoma 4.0 v6 tow this with out the trany falling out ! i have the factory hitch IV , says total towing weight is 6500 !

any input on towing would be great and i have read some of the posts others left !

a simple yes it will tow with no major issues will do thanks
What type of trailer are you towing? You mentioned 19' - but you didn't mention if its an RV or a car hauler or ....??

How much weight do you expect to add to the trailer?

You mentioned you have the factory class IV hitch... Do you have the TOWING package? The towing package includes tranny cooler - which is probably a benefit to have.

As long as you don't exceed 6500lbs and don't exceed the GCVWR - which I think is something like 11,100lbs. Trailer brakes are a HUGE benefit and I'd recommend making sure the trailer has them. Also - a weight distributing hitch which will help the truck handle the load better.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
H2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What type of trailer are you towing? You mentioned 19' - but you didn't mention if its an RV or a car hauler or ....??

How much weight do you expect to add to the trailer?

You mentioned you have the factory class IV hitch... Do you have the TOWING package? The towing package includes tranny cooler - which is probably a benefit to have.

As long as you don't exceed 6500lbs and don't exceed the GCVWR - which I think is something like 11,100lbs. Trailer brakes are a HUGE benefit and I'd recommend making sure the trailer has them. Also - a weight distributing hitch which will help the truck handle the load better.

YEA
i think i have the towing package, its the 4.0 sport came with the hitch, and yea its a camper trailer, all aluminum, starcraft i think, im looking, but its about 3800 dry weight!

thanks for the input!
Old 04-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
imahiker is on a distinguished road
imahiker's Tacoma Gallery

19', western washington state, lots of hills, no problems. 3500 weight empty
Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Shouldn't be a problem...

I do recommend electric trailer brakes and a good quality controller...
Old 04-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post
YEA
i think i have the towing package, its the 4.0 sport came with the hitch, and yea its a camper trailer, all aluminum, starcraft i think, im looking, but its about 3800 dry weight!

thanks for the input!
Good deal.

I don't have experience with travel trailers - but - TONGUE WEIGHT comes to mind.

Having the proper tonque weight will make the difference between a nice smooth ride or a white knuckle ride.

You might want to seek info from the gang here whether or not you need to add some weight to the tonque to give you the proper tonque weight.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 AM   #13
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
My travel trailer is 3750 wet and loaded, and I have no problems even up into the pocono mountains in Pennsylvania, the only time I even know it is back there is when I look in the mirrors, or am climbing those mountains.

I have the 4.0L and the 6-speed manual. You will absolutely need a Weight Distribution hitch, some form of sway control (I am partial to the dual-cam type) and an electric brake controller, as a travel trailer of that weight will have brakes.

You'll be fine, just keep it out of overdrive, unless you are watching for the transmission hunting and you'll have no tranny issues to worry about.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #14

thanks guys !

this is what i am looking to get a star stream by starcraft! 21" dry weight 3750, 570 tung weight, overal lenght is 23" or so !

http://www.ronhoover.com/Home/Hidden...8/Default.aspx
Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #15
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
nice looking rig. with all the correct towing accessories, the taco should be able to handle it
Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
It will tow without any problems. I tow an 18' Ranger Bass boat. The boat weighs around 3500 lbs. I have been towing it with my 05 sine I got my truck. 115,000 miles and no sign of any problems from towing or otherwise.

I used to tow my boat with an 03 Tacoma. The 05 does much better.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #17
canadiankid is on a distinguished road
canadiankid's Tacoma Gallery
I tow this http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...eries=GreyWolf

You know that it is there but with a good weight dist hitch and sway control, the Tacoma does pretty good.