1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the longest thing you carried without towing?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by TacomaRobert, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    TacomaRobert

TacomaRobert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm needing to carry siding. Carried some couple weeks ago. Put down tailgate, let it hang out back.

Siding box has to be 12 feet long min. My bed is six feet. Tailgate down then it's about 8 feet? Strapped couple 2x4's to the box so it wouldn't bend. Let it hang out back. Put red flags on end of box. Took slow roads.

It worked once. Need to do it again and feeling a little more risk adverse.

Should I not be doing this? Any thoughts, crtiques, warnings, suggestions?

2. Dec 27, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    Get a bed rack. Quick, easy, and cheap. Thule makes a good one

3. Dec 27, 2014 at 7:21 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I have carried 16 foot steel in mine. Just open the back widow, put an old towel on the dash and bottom of window frame. Red flag on the back of the steel.

It always struck me as wired that I could carry longer steel with my Tacoma than I could with the Tundra.

4. Dec 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
  5. Dec 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM
    012TacoDeAsada

012TacoDeAsada Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Whittier
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma MGM
    Icon all around,sick nicks fab front bumper..bfg a/t 275 80 17 on konig counter steer x,all pro rear bumper,5k hid,3k fog lights,rockford fosgate sound system on stock stereo,tints
    I use to load my truck with 150ft x 12 foot carpet rolls all the time. It used to be my work truck. Then I got a lumber rack. Bent a couple of tailgates but still worked out.

6. Dec 27, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    20' on my cap rack

7. Dec 27, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    ^^^^This. Exactly how I've carried 12' pieces of casing for home improvement projects. Works great ;)

8. Dec 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Carried some 16 foot 2x8's a couple of months ago.

You can use the slider as well which might work better where you're a double cab..mine is a single cab 6 foot bed.

I brought a couple of 25 pound bags of cat litter and some 20 pound weights. Put the lumber in touching the bottom of the bed right at the back, placed the weights and then bags on the top..strapped it down using the D-rings near the tailgate..go.

9. Dec 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    loco

loco Who wants to ride my Brack Burrito???

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Diesel Land Cruiser AKA Brack Burrito
    Well its a land Cruiser with a diesel so I've got that going for me.
    I recently brought home a whole stick of 3x1.5 tubing on the tailgate with a flag. 24 foot of steel in my DCSB looked pretty funny and the tailgate wasn't very happy with me..

10. Dec 28, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

weird

That method is great till you have to hammer on the brakes

11. Dec 29, 2014 at 4:52 AM
    TacomaRobert

Member:
    Actual LOL

The towels are a nice touch. They not only protect the surfaces, but they also provide a nice low friction surface to better launch the steel deeper into the car in front.

12. Dec 29, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I shouldn't, but I can't help it ... :laugh:

Ya'll are making me real glad I have my flatbed trailer on hand for when this kind of job comes up.

Seriously OP, the way you did it before should work without major modifications/additional accessories added to your truck. I liked the idea of weight on the front top (against the cab end) to hold them down. You could duplicate the concept with a box or even a cooler if it brings the height up slightly above level with the bed rails, then run a cargo strap between bed cleats over the box/cooler/"space filler" (what we call shoring in the logistics trans business). And of course another cargo strap across between the D-rings at the rear of the bed. Red-flag on the tail and take it slow and easy.

Additionally, once you have the front end held down, you could duplicate a "chain-gate" or "chain-bridle" off of the rear bed D-rings with cargo straps around the rear end of the package to hold everything snug forward and down in the bed. Page 9, fig 10 of this document.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  13. Dec 29, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    2 of these 12 footers...........like this in the reg cab......

[​IMG]

.....and like this in the access cab................

[​IMG]

Still got the bed racks but the hitch thing is so much easier for close trips not requiring use of the bed for other stuff............

14. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    TacomaRobert

Member:
    Thank you very very much. :)

I looked at the diagram in the document. Yet, I'm having trouble visualizing this paragraph.

Would you mind, please, elaborating? I've read it a half dozen times but maybe can't get it. Particularly the "box/cooler/space filler" terminology.

By elevating the load, is it the elevation that allows the straps to exert a downward pressure on the load??

15. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    TacomaRobert

Member:
    That is awesome! Thanks! The hitch thingy is perfect! ... Unfortunately I was too shortsighted and didn't get a hitch. Next truck will have a 6 cyl and the towing package. Alas ... until then.

16. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Done this with lots of things, including siding, 2x4s, etc. I'll slide them as far into the cab as I can through the sliding back window, and cushion them on the dash, on the sliding window's sill, and tie them down in the back, around the bumper. Usually my boss will be with me, so I make him hold everything steady as I drive.
    I also had a full size basketball hoop in the truck once. Homeowner had been asking us to keep an eye out for one, so that he could use it in staging the house to sell it. On the way to the jobsite one day, I spotted one. Since we were only like two blocks away from the jobsite, I put it in the back of the truck- it was about as long as the whole truck- and sat in the back with it, holding it up from dragging on the ground while my boss drove my truck, just to get to the job site. :D
    I have a pic of that one somewhere, I've gotta find it.

17. Dec 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    yes ...
    Siding goes center of bed slid all the way forward against the front.

Measure the distance from top of siding bundle to top of bed side.
    Find something solid, that is slightly taller than that distance. Place that solid object, we use blocks of wood or stacks of wooden pallets, then move side rails cleats forward to a position centered on the object and tighten a strap between the cleats applying downward force on the object. This is restraining the front of bundle down to the bed.

Next simply run a strap over the bundle from side to side between the D-rings at the back off bed. The load is now vertically restrained. Note: if you want to get some lateral restraint, wrap the middle strap(between the D-rings) once all the way around the bundle before tightening it up between the rings.

Forward restraint is not a concern because the bundle is against the front of the bed. For aft restraint a simple strap around the end between the D-rings will work, simple way to duplicate the bridle effect is to use two straps, 1 from the right D-ring over the top, down across the end of the bundle, then under and back to left D-ring. Do the same thing in the opposite direction left to right; effectively making an "X" between the D-rings around the end of the bundle.

Lot of words, but hopefully you get the idea. Final clarification on the filler thing: if you had D-rings in the front floor of your bed, it wouldn't be needed. You're just looking to hold the bundle down to the floor at the front of the bed. The only way to do that with the available side rail cleats, is to fill the space between the top of the bundle and height of the cleats. Then when tighten a strap between the cleats over the filler object, downward force is transfered to the top of the bundle effectively holding it down to the bed floor.

Cool? :cool:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  18. Dec 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Both of my trucks are 4 cyl and had no towing package. Plenty of people sell their factory hitches in the FS section. They just bolt up to frame and bumper mounts. Mine didn't come with one but I scored one cheap someone had taken off another 4 cyl truck. It is actually 3 pieces that bolt in. The side plates also are rear bumper mounts. The ones off 6 cyl trucks are 1 piece welded and bolt into place using the original bumper mounts. IIRC, the 6 cyl hitches are rated 5 or 6000 lbs and 4cyl 3 piece ones are only up to 3500 or 4000 lbs. Either way they will handle kayaks, lol............Oh, I did have an aftermarket one once and it hung down in view and did not like it. The oem ones are tucked better where all you see is receiver and chain hanger loop.

19. Dec 30, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    I bought my hitch at U-Haul for about $80 (5 yrs almost, don't remember exactly); my son and I installed it in about an hour. It's not hard, but a second set of hands is pretty necessary. I think it would be hard to do solo, not impossible, just awkward and maybe a little dangerous. Not kill yourself dangerous, but if you drop that hitch on you, it's gonna leave a mark. ;)

20. Dec 30, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    RifkinMasterson

RifkinMasterson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5
    I haul my d . . . errrr, nevermind.

Products Discussed in

To Top