1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

going to trade up to a diesel! :(

Discussion in 'Towing' started by TMS2334, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Feb 10, 2015 at 5:59 PM
    68dave

68dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Baltimore/WV mountains
    Vehicle:
    $500.00 project 04 TRD 4x4 Lifted 4runner Stock Tacoma TRD Lifted 94 FZJ80 Stock 95 FZJ80
    Toytec Boss kit & OME leafs, 231mm tundra brakes SCS wheels...
    I wanted a tt so my wife and i could travel but didn't want to give up one of my 6 cyl toyota trucks so i purchased a light weight tt. The 3.4L tacoma tows it fine. I love my toyotas and camping so the Casita was the right choice for us.

107.jpg
    Casita pick up 047.jpg

2. Feb 10, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    I bought a 2007 5.9 cummins diesel... best decision I've ever made when it comes to towing.

3. Feb 10, 2015 at 7:51 PM
    specialized7

specialized7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    they had the 5.9 in 2007 still???

4. Feb 10, 2015 at 8:28 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    I was in your shoes man, ended up selling my Tacoma.. Had the diesel for 4 months and traded it for another tacoma, and there will be no going back to a diesel.

5. Feb 11, 2015 at 5:27 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Yea, for the first half of the year. Then they went to the 6.7l in "2007.5"

I'd never go back to a tacoma. Love being in the full size truck and the diesel is just so much better. So much power and stability when towing. It actually stops when you push the brakes too. Much more room and I even get better fuel mileage when I am towing. I get slightly less when not towing with the diesel, but I do have mud tires that the original owner had on there when I bought it. But 18 mpg hwy vs the tacomas sometimes 20 mpg isn't that much of a deal breaker.

6. Feb 11, 2015 at 5:33 AM
    jevsrt

jevsrt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    juan
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2015 dcsb 4x4 (xsp bling)
    I would go with a 5.9 Cummins with a 6 speed in a third gen or an lbz duramax..in my opinion the best duramax ..before all the emissions crap and doesn't suffer from the problems the lb7 and llys had..

7. Feb 11, 2015 at 8:36 AM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    New diesel I can see that, but when the dodge drive train goes to shit it gets to the point where you don't even want to drive it anymore. 3rd gens have a lot less problems but 2nd gens will cost you $200 every weekend and hours of driveway workshop time.

8. Feb 12, 2015 at 11:49 AM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coming from a diesel tech with actual experience not just "I saw or read this and this on so and so forum posts". Real, hardcore, guys making a living and dont care what brand their truck is type of experience.

. When it comes to the NEWER Ram, GM, Ford diesels the Duramax/Allison combo is the best.

Ford 6.7L is just a few years old and has NO proven reliability. Ford crapped the bed with the 6.4L twin turbo diesel and went back to the design that GM/Isuzu had way back in 2001

Ram transmissions are garbage and I personally know guys who needed rebuilds at 50k already.

The Cummins is getting less and less reliable and ive tangled with my share of 6.7L Cummins problems already.

Duramax has been around since 2001 largely unchanged. Still the same 6.6L 32 valve. Reliability has only been going up since then even after being neutered with emissions junk.

And the GMs have Allison 1000 transmissions which have been proven.

There are million mile and near million Duramax trucks out there.

And I wonder why the Ram and Ford guys swap Allison trans into their trucks?

Ill end this with my uncles advice. He has 1 million plus miles heavy shipping experience with Cummins, Duramax, and Ford diesels. He has experienced EVERYTHING including axles snapping on the freeway, trans blowouts, engine failure and has owned multiple trucks. I asked him what new Dually diesel crew cab would you buy right NOW? He's not loyal or a fanboy of any brand and he said he'd buy a Duramax. Enough said.

9. Feb 12, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    The dodge tranny is terrible in a stock form, but that's also because everyone runs more hp and burns them up. A fully built dodge tranny is stronger than any built allison considering there are a bunch of guys running duramaxes on the dodge forums learning about their built transmissions.

10. Feb 12, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I tend to agree that Cummins is the way to go for a diesel engine, however all the consumer vehicles they come in (Dodge) sway me toward the Duramax/Allison combo. I have friends with constantly broken Dodge and Chrysler products, just not worth it. The Chevy Duramax is far from the days of early injector issues so there isn't much to worry about anymore.

11. Feb 12, 2015 at 12:11 PM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel

12. Feb 12, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:

I responded to an ad for a kubota tractor. Got my trailer to go pick it up. I got there and the guy has a nice 07 Ram Cummins. We say how nice it is and he says "not really, need a new transmission". He only had about 60k and said he barely even worked it. I dont care about "building", did you know that most Cummins and other diesel owners arent on the forums looking to make more HP? They want their transmission to work from factory.

The GM trucks work

The Rams get worked on

13. Feb 12, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Alright, I'll say it. Get the Colorado diesel.

My neighbor HAD a Dodge w/ cummings. Loved the truck and engine, but was on his 2nd transmission at 50k. He didn't mod it, or anything. Just drove it.

He now owns a F250 and has no complaints.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  14. Feb 12, 2015 at 2:09 PM
    Tgreening

Tgreening Check Check

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad

Ok. Unless you need to tow big and tow often, you better seriuosly think about jumping into a modern diesel. They are absolute tow beasts that put old diesel iron to shame when it come to the ability to easily make hp and torque.

They also put them to shame when it comes to cost to repair. They are not for the faint of wallet, by any stretch. Ford 6.0s have well documented issues that cost multi-thousands to mitigate. The 6.4 is a more rugged base engine, but if the high pressure fuel pump bites the dust it has an annoying habit of destroying everything down stream on its way out. At Ford expect to pay $12k-$15k to fix that. Around half-ish of that if you can find a trustable diesel shop to do it.

The new Ford 6.7 is an excellent engine, but still susceptible To water damage from bad fuel. Similar costs to repair as the 6.4, and dont count on Ford to waranty that if they figure water in fuel.

Gm and Dodge have their own various issues, arguably not as bad as Ford, but none of them are cheap to fix if something goes south.

The only thing I havent had, or have, is Dodge. My F450 is pushing 500+ HP and in a tug of war would give even Chuck Norris a run for his money, but I tow a lot and I tow heavy.

If you dont, diesel isnt worth the price of admission and certainly isnt worth the potential cost of repair.

So...what do you intend to tow and what does it weigh?

15. Feb 12, 2015 at 2:11 PM
    GTABurnout

GTABurnout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior TRD SC
    Icons, TRD Supercharger, TRD Exhaust, TRD Intake
    I sold my 2007 5.9 Cummins to buy my Tacoma. I towed with the dodge Twice. Both was a borrowed trailer and my Evo to a track day. I had full Carli 2.65 suspension on it. Loved that truck off road. The weight with the power made it smooth every where. On the road it was a death trap. The steering was never right. All new components and still issues. Got to the point where I hated it. the truck was falling apart around the stout engine.

I now have a 2nd Gen TRD I have towed my race car far more with it no issues its not the 90mph I was doing with the dodge but I don't have to worry about the truck when not towing. I will eventually get another full size not sure I need a 3/4 or 1 Ton for the little bit of towing I actually do.

16. Feb 12, 2015 at 2:17 PM

336 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kendrick
    Ashe/Boone
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6 Speed
    I see you're in Avery, I'm from Ashe. Kinda live in Boone though.

17. Feb 12, 2015 at 3:46 PM
    SargeBSA

SargeBSA With self-discipline most anything is possible.

Member:
    Cascade Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Tundra 4x4
    TRD Offroad Wheels 265/75 18 General Grabber ATX's,
    If your just looking for a diesel powered truck would recommend an engine swap. Plan on one when truck hits 100,000 miles.

18. Feb 12, 2015 at 4:00 PM
    LukeBo4x4

LukeBo4x4 The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Member:
    First Name:
    luke
    Big Island,Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD ext cab
    OME 882s, wheelers 5 leaf pack w/aal, ARB front bumper, 305/70/16 nitto mud grapplers,pro comp 7069s, Grey wire mod.
    If you have the money to shell out buy a cummins with the new/bigger aisin transmission. I've been been in all three of the newer diesels while there pulling and the powerstroke was the hardest pulling but I just like the cummins better. That Duramax seemed sluggish to me but that's my opinion.

19. Feb 12, 2015 at 4:02 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    You need to tow big, as others have said, to get your moneys worth out of a Diesel 3/4 ton. Most 1/2 tons can handle almost any bumper pull travel trailer out there with ease now. If you want a really nice 5th wheel though you should go Diesel. Otherwise I'd just find a used half ton you can afford and that's in good shape if you are worried about killing the Tacoma.

True. Everything about Dodge reaks repairs. Our fleet has a few that can't keep there seals in the transmission :eek:.

How so is Diesel a better drive? If you like the torque delivery and "drive it like a tank" feeling then yeah 3/4 or full ton Diesels are great. Otherwise everyone thinks they're a PITA to drive around town because they are. Even farms with Lariat, Larame, or Denali Diesels rarely put put around town in them. They're smart enough to have a half ton for that.

I get that it's personal preference, but most drivers out there hate the heavy suspension on heavy trucks for everyday driving.

Allison transmissions are tough, just be careful on getting them wet all the time. Lots of the farms around here get strange glitches happening with the transmission if they use them in field to long. I think you're pushing GM a bit hard. I've seen my fair share of customers trading off there Denali's at 50K because they are rattling apart inside and they have engine/transmission issues in wet/snowy conditions.

Ford had lots of issues with the 6.4 L. The 6.7 L was actually a design project that Ford had contracted out between Cummins and there own engine design and developement department. They didn't just decide to copy an Isuzu engine. Your beginning to sound like my cousin who sells Volvo and Isuzu for a living when he goes off at family events :D.

Honestly I'd buy whatever Diesel from whichever dealer I had the most positive experience with before for a town truck. After all, if something goes wrong you're going to need them to take care of it no matter what Badge is on the thing.

20. Feb 12, 2015 at 4:21 PM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    I drove the tacoma for 4 years and after 2 weeks of driving the dodge I went back to the tacoma to fill the tank before I sold it. I'm not sure how to explain it but it felt like I wasn't moving when I hit the throttle... It's gotta be the torque delivery as you said. It for sure doesn't drive "smoother" than the tacoma that's for sure. I hate the dragging my ass on the ground feeling in the tacoma as it didn't sit very high at all. I like lifts, but well then all fuel mpg goes to shit so that doesn't help much.

I think it's the diesel, I absolutely love the noise it makes, exhaust...rattle... smell... turbo noise...everything. PERFECT. Not some gay farting noise a gas engine makes. I suppose it's more preference when it comes to driving style. I was mainly talking about it driving better when it was towing. But, of course it should tow better. I liked towing with the tacoma, I didn't like going up hills and ABSOLUTELY could not stand downhills. The trailer would take over and cause severe vibration and wobbling and it felt like you were going to DIE. So scary. Don't get that in a 3/4 ton, smooth as can be (minus bumps :D )

And yes, the transmissions in the dodges suck. Dump 3k into them and its damn near bulletproof. Well worth the 3k.

Products Discussed in

To Top