Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

going to trade up to a diesel! :(

Old 02-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
TMS2334 is on a distinguished road
TMS2334's Tacoma Gallery
going to trade up to a diesel! :(

Seriously thinking about getting a duramax or powerstroke. Talk me out of it please!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it, I'm personally not a fan of duramaxes, but I like the powerstrokes.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
(͠◉_◉᷅ )
Delta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelta00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Delta00's Tacoma Gallery
Do what suits your needs.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
You got resale value now. Want to go in the hole going into the diesel and further in the hole with resale, by all means go buy one.

Good enough?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Flowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlowin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
DriveByTrucker is on a distinguished road

Marines: 1833 Amphibious Assault Vehicle crewman
Name: Scott
DriveByTrucker's Tacoma Gallery
I'll talk you out of both V8 diesels. Get a Cummins, there's a reason big rigs have in-line 6 cylinder diesels.

-90% of your torque is available just off idle
- more efficient power delivery
- fewer moving parts (6 cylinders vs. 8)
- available with a manual transmission option
- very few design changes since introduced to pick-ups in 1989. ( I know, larger displacement now...whatever, still the same basic platform)
-most efficient for towing
- 4wd have a solid front axle.

I'm sure there are a hundred other reasons I'm not mentioning, but as you can tell I'm a cummins fan.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #7
KyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KyleNowad's Tacoma Gallery
"I would rather be coming than stroking..."

A guy near me has that on his Dodge.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
KyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KyleNowad's Tacoma Gallery
Why did you become a member on here only to say you're selling your Tacoma?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
CelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Tacoma because its a midsize pickup. If you want to waste your paycheck filling up everytime! Go for it! I love the Cummins and Duramaxs, but if i was to ever buy a diesel, i'd have to have something i needed to tow, or have a job that required me to pull things. Dont buy one if your one of those guys that likes to blow that black smoke shit at people-cause thats not fucking cool lol
Old 02-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
What are your reasons for moving to a diesel. We are comparing apples to oranges. Scratch the power stroke or duramax options. Go with the cummins.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #11
TMS2334 is on a distinguished road
TMS2334's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleNowad View Post
Why did you become a member on here only to say you're selling your Tacoma?
It does seem that way lol but I originally did to learn about all the towing stuff on here and I have been using this sight for about a year now it really helped me build my taco to what it is now but the wife want to get a travel trailer and I am worried about working the taco to death!
Old 02-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveByTrucker View Post
Get a Cummins, there's a reason big rigs have in-line 6 cylinder
I have driven tractor trailers for about 10 years. I've driven Peterbilt, Mack, Kenworth and international and all were in-line 8 cylinders...
Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #13
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS2334 View Post
It does seem that way lol but I originally did to learn about all the towing stuff on here and I have been using this sight for about a year now it really helped me build my taco to what it is now but the wife want to get a travel trailer and I am worried about working the taco to death!
State the stats of the trailer you're planning on getting. I'm sure people here can give you more insight about whether you need to buy the diesel or not.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #14
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
I have driven tractor trailers for about 10 years. I've driven Peterbilt, Mack, Kenworth and international and all were in-line 8 cylinders...
Nope. They were all inline 6 engines.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #15
htgreen3 is on a distinguished road
Army:
htgreen3's Tacoma Gallery
I already have a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the Cummins, the one with the 5.9 lt without all the emissions. I get 19.6 mpg with out the trailer (it has a Banks Ottomind which gets rid of the third injection cycle) and 16 mpg with a 16 foot car hauler with gator and cannon and loaded to the brim for a long weekend This is just about the same as my 2015 Tacoma TRD 4x4 gets. When I got the Tacoma, I replaced a Subaru Forester, needed more space to haul reenacting gear for those long weekends when the Dodge isn't called for. Yes, the Diesel is a great hauler, but its big and handles the 16 foot steel deck car hauler like its not even attached, fuel is more expensive, not as readily available, and your oil and filter changes are more expensive. Only consider the full size truck if what you will haul demands it. By the way, I tow full size cannons with guys with both the durmax and powerstrokes, I get better fuel mileage, but they do a little better tham me up the long climbs across the mountains here in Virginia, so the get where we are going a few minutes earlier than I do, but I don't care.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #16
BDL5589 has a spectacular aura aboutBDL5589 has a spectacular aura about
BDL5589's Tacoma Gallery
How much do you tow and how often?

Once you get used to a diesel, even light loads behind a gas engine suck.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #17
Master of all I survey.
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveByTrucker View Post
I'll talk you out of both V8 diesels. Get a Cummins, there's a reason big rigs have in-line 6 cylinder diesels.

-90% of your torque is available just off idle
- more efficient power delivery
- fewer moving parts (6 cylinders vs. 8)
- available with a manual transmission option
- very few design changes since introduced to pick-ups in 1989. ( I know, larger displacement now...whatever, still the same basic platform)
-most efficient for towing
- 4wd have a solid front axle.

I'm sure there are a hundred other reasons I'm not mentioning, but as you can tell I'm a cummins fan.

Good luck!

Cummins makes a good 300k mile engine.

Unfortunately they're in 50k mile trucks.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #18
BDL5589 has a spectacular aura aboutBDL5589 has a spectacular aura about
BDL5589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Cummins makes a good 300k mile engine.

That seems a bit harsh. The 90s Dodges were lacking in quality a bit but so was everything compared to now. I'd trust a new Dodge as much as Ford, Toyota, etc. It's all in how they're treated.

I prefer Cummins myself (have had 4 and my mom has 1 now). I've also had good luck with Powerstrokes (have had 2) but they were 7.3s. Always avoided Duramaxes since the early ones (LB7s?) had so many injector issues.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #19
vssman will become famous soon enoughvssman will become famous soon enough
vssman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post

Uhhh, no they aren't. When I got rid of my '96 with 128k, it had just blown it's 4th tranny. I wish I got 50k per tranny. In all fairness, the truck wasn't anywhere near stock but it also wasn't over the top BOMB'd either.

Then there was the 2 alternators, 2 water pumps, 1 fuel pump, 1 radiator, 1 complete front end, 1 set of rear axle seals, 1 set of front axle seals, 2 sets of ball joints, 2 sets of front axle U joints, 3 rear brake lines and countless brake pads. That's what I can remember that I replaced (yup all of those - no exageration at all). I'm sure there's more.

I'll give you this, Diesel torque is addictive, and it tows like no tomorrow.

You'll probably need to get more tools as all of the nuts and bolts are just plain bigger on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #20
Josh828 is a splendid one to beholdJosh828 is a splendid one to beholdJosh828 is a splendid one to beholdJosh828 is a splendid one to beholdJosh828 is a splendid one to beholdJosh828 is a splendid one to beholdJosh828 is a splendid one to beholdJosh828 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Josh
Josh828's Tacoma Gallery
Sold my 470RWHP 06 duramax for my tacoma and loved it! Just too big and was getting high on miles for college life. if you want one and can afford it go for it!