Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Much needed towing advice

Old 02-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
Nkyirish is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Nkyirish's Tacoma Gallery
Much needed towing advice

I have a 2014 taco trd sport double cab 4x4 with tow package and I'm looking to purchase a 2015 passport 2400bh travel trailer, dry weight is 4700lbs...Will my truck have any problems with this?..Also I will not be doing any trips more than a 3 hour drive and all campgrounds I visit have full hook ups so no need to haul water..Any info would be helpful thanks
Old 02-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
Night Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Night Eagle's Tacoma Gallery
so your tow capacity is 6500 lbs. So you will feel it and mpg will drop pretty good but the truck will handle it just fine.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't hurt if you had some electric brakes or maybe your trailer has surge brakes?
You'll feel it but won't be a problem.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
Navy:
Will be installing electric brake and getting a weight distrubtion assembly as well...and thanks guys for input
Old 02-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
Navy:
Hey guys another quick question ..What's that best brake controller out there was looking at Prodigy P3 and What is the best WTD setup out there?..thanks again for the advice
Old 02-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Night Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight Eagle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sorry I couldn't tell you. I have really only delt with the stock ones in new trucks. The only aftermarket on I have kinds delt with was in my dad's truck and I can't remember what it was.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #7
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
the trailer brakes and weight distributing hitch will be nice. you could also look into some air bags for the rear. they are adjustable and are very useful
Old 02-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #8

Ya air bags are super they help with the ride a lot.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
Navy:
What air bags your recommend?
Old 02-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

firestone rite ride.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
Navy:
Thanks pudge would I need to do anything with the front in suspension if I install airbags in rear?
Old 02-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Dry weight of 4700... In my opinion you're maxing the truck. When I go family camping I'm easily 4-500 lbs of gear. That doesn't include the extra shit you'll have in the trailer.

Too much IMO.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #13

Wish I could be more help to you. But I have only riden in a 1 ton ford with air bags and it helped a lot. But I don't you need to do anything to the front. The air bags are there to assist in towing ride and control.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkyirish View Post
Thanks pudge would I need to do anything with the front in suspension if I install airbags in rear?
you don't actually need anything. that's the beauty on them. you can run 5 psi in them and you get zero lift, you can run 10psi and get a little lift. when you tow or haul you add what you need to remain level and you don't need to worry about bottoming out, or sagging in the rear or having your headlights shooting upwards into oncoming traffic. they are fully adjustable and make a huge difference. you can level your truck out while towing with a few pumps of a bicycle pump. that said I replaced all my shocks with bilstien 5100's and they do ride smoother, I also set my front shocks for .85" of lift, and keep 10psi in the air bags, so im nice and level
Old 02-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
Navy:
Cool thanks a lot I think I will install an airbag system
Old 02-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #16
KMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedKMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KMitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Dry weight of 4700... In my opinion you're maxing the truck. When I go family camping I'm easily 4-500 lbs of gear. That doesn't include the extra shit you'll have in the trailer.

Too much IMO.
^This

I know we spoke via PM but figured this info would be useful to anyone else in the same position.

Too many people think if it's under 6,500, it's okay. Truth is, the manufacturers max tow ratings can almost never be attained without maxing out another capacity.

The manufacturers dry weight is also going to be completely empty without any options so you'll need to add for propane, batteries, water, tv, gear, food, etc. My guess is you'd be close to 6,000lbs loaded up.

Using that estimate, you're tongue weight (at 13%) is going to be around 780lbs. My taco had a payload capacity of 1,080lbs which would leave you 300lbs for yourself, any other passengers including pets and any gear in your truck. Oh, don't forget to add the 100-150lbs that your WD hitch is likely to weigh.

Your payload figure includes a full tank of gas and no passengers. Your max tow (6500) takes into account a full tank of gas and a 150lb driver (so in my example you'd be pretty close to this number as well).

My opinion is look at a lighter camper or buy a bigger tow rig.