Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Brake Controller Install Help Request

Old 05-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
JsAZ is on a distinguished road
JsAZ's Tacoma Gallery
Brake Controller Install Help Request

I'm having trouble identifying the connector to plug my factory brake controller adapter into. I've removed the driver's side kick panel and searched for a connector with nothing attached and didn't find one. The towing bible write up had one close up picture of the connector but didn't give enough context for me to identify it.

Could someone please help identify where the factory brake controller should be connected?

Here's a couple of images with my kick panel removed:

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
tbmevent01 is a jewel in the roughtbmevent01 is a jewel in the roughtbmevent01 is a jewel in the roughtbmevent01 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 3ID
Name: Dean
tbmevent01's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to tbmevent01
Hi, I just installed a prodigy brake controller in my 09 TRD. It was little difficult to find since mine was zip tied to another wire harness. But, it is tucked in there and it does have the white connector like the 1 in the towing bible pic. Just look carefully at all the harnesses for that open white connector. Also, camping world sells a plug and go adapter for our trucks. I didnt use the bare wire 1 that came with truck. Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
this video is of the sequoia, but it should be similar to the taco

link
Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
JsAZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonags32 View Post
this video is of the sequoia, but it should be similar to the taco

link
The video was somewhat helpful, but I still can't find the connector. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just not qualified for this.

I cut the electrical tape around the bundle below just to make sure, but every connector in this bunch is already mated up. Right now I'm convinced that they just forgot to pull mine through to the kick panel, but I know that sounds dumb.

I'm thinking I'll run down to the dealership and see if one of the service guys can make some sense of what I'm looking at.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
tacojim is on a distinguished road
tacojim's Tacoma Gallery
do you know where it is yet. I am having the exact same problem
Old 05-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
tacojim's Tacoma Gallery
found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacojim View Post
do you know where it is yet. I am having the exact same problem

the connection is to the left of the parking brake switch behind the largest bundle of wires.

look behind the wires close to where the letter "n" in the word not is in the above photo
Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
JsAZ's Tacoma Gallery
Found!

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up going to the dealership and one of the service guys said that they always take the bottom half of the dash off to retrieve the connector. I bet you could probably find it without taking off the bottom dash, but you'd have to know where to look.

Once I got the bottom part of the dash off, I could see it very clearly. I still had to retrieve it by reaching my hand up from underneath, but it was much easier.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
tacojim's Tacoma Gallery
connector

now that I know where it is, I could get to it without taking off the kick panel or the lower part of the dash..before my first post today I spent at least 30 minutes looking for it and could not find it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
BBelwood is on a distinguished road
BBelwood's Tacoma Gallery
Brake Controler

I found mine it is tucked in the wad of wires. I extended mine and put a four wire male to female connector on it, I ran the wires to the empty pocket on the right side below the steering wheel. I just plug it in when I need it. Now if you intend to use the Manuel brake you may want to mount it.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Thighmaster is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic, Nurse 5502d USAH, 352d CSH
Thighmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsAZ View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up going to the dealership and one of the service guys said that they always take the bottom half of the dash off to retrieve the connector. I bet you could probably find it without taking off the bottom dash, but you'd have to know where to look.

Once I got the bottom part of the dash off, I could see it very clearly. I still had to retrieve it by reaching my hand up from underneath, but it was much easier.
Thanks so much for that! Without popping loose the left lower half of the dash would not have found it. Even then it was pretty covered up. Again - thank you.