1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Hitch rusting

Discussion in 'Towing' started by MotoTacoma, May 10, 2009.

1. May 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma [OP] Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    So I have an 05 w/the towing package, and this truck has been in PA since 05..

first things first, i tried seaching and came up with nothing

is anyone having issues with the factory hitch rusting? goof ball that owned the truck before me had a hitch lock on it and it looks like the hitch lock could have trapped moisture in and around the area of the hitch..

it's all surface rust at this point, but i chipped off all the flaking paint, sanded it down, and resprayed the hitch w/rustoleum satin black, it came out good, but i'm thinking of brush painting it to get thicker coats... what do you guys think? this is my first truck so i'm not too familiar with hitch ethics..

thanks in advance..

2. May 13, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    dubber

dubber Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Taco 4x4 TRD
    Same with mine up here in Canada with all the salt on the roads in the winter.

Paint it every year and forget about it. That's life. :)

3. May 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Rule #1 - Hitches rust like crazy
    Rule #2 - If there's a Toyota decal on or near it, it will rust even quicker.....haha
    It's a hitch, don't let it bother ya. If it does, spray bomb it every spring.

4. May 17, 2009 at 6:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...The rattle can is the way to go...unless you want to get serious- Then take it off and get it undercoated or line-x/herculined...
    Just make sure you maintain your clearances for putting the hitch on and the hitch pin in.

5. May 17, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma [OP] Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    thanks for the info guys

6. Jun 29, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    What did you use to sand it down before respraying? I have a used OEM receiver coming in this week that has some surface rust I want to clean up. I'm thinking about doing herculiner, but I'll wait until I have it in my hands so I can see how to best deal with the clearances.

7. Feb 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    mdvlt80

mdvlt80 New Member

Member:
    Morgantown PA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5
    I purchased new 2005 Tacoma and it has been garaged kept since I took possession of it at the dealer.
    My first oil change around 6500 miles I noticed rust along all welded frame joints I pointed this out to the technician and he said it was normal.
    Fast forward to early 2011 the entire frame including the hitch which was never used I don’t own a boat has sever rust, I tried to stop the creep with a product by Magnet Paints, this undercoating at my time and expense appears to have slowed rust creep down some and it hides it as well but I know it continues to rust underneath. Toyota knows there is a problem with either the metal used to make the frame and or the under coating processes. The rust problem did not stop in 2004 it is very much alive into 2010 models.
    :mad:

8. Feb 16, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    jesseunvoas

jesseunvoas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Swift Current, Sask, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT
    3" Ready Lift Super 80 Muffler AFE Stage 2 CAI Pro Dry Filter OEM Roof Rack RollBAK Tonneau Cover Cooper AT3 Tires Kakays On The Roof free candy topper
    i used rhino bed liner on mine it's lasted over a year and i drive gravel every day 10 mile round trip

9. Feb 16, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Or move to the Pacific NW. They won't use salt or lead weights out here because it may hurt the fish. Death on the highway is more accepted around here than affecting the Salmon runs.

10. Feb 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    Rust is mother natures way of taking back what is rightfully hers........but not with out a fight form us:D

Products Discussed in

To Top