Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

OEM Hitch rusting

Old 05-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Hitch rusting

So I have an 05 w/the towing package, and this truck has been in PA since 05..

first things first, i tried seaching and came up with nothing

is anyone having issues with the factory hitch rusting? goof ball that owned the truck before me had a hitch lock on it and it looks like the hitch lock could have trapped moisture in and around the area of the hitch..

it's all surface rust at this point, but i chipped off all the flaking paint, sanded it down, and resprayed the hitch w/rustoleum satin black, it came out good, but i'm thinking of brush painting it to get thicker coats... what do you guys think? this is my first truck so i'm not too familiar with hitch ethics..

thanks in advance..
Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
dubber is on a distinguished road
dubber's Tacoma Gallery
Same with mine up here in Canada with all the salt on the roads in the winter.

Paint it every year and forget about it. That's life.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Rule #1 - Hitches rust like crazy
Rule #2 - If there's a Toyota decal on or near it, it will rust even quicker.....haha
It's a hitch, don't let it bother ya. If it does, spray bomb it every spring.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info guys
Old 06-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Swollen Member
8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

8th sin's Tacoma Gallery
What did you use to sand it down before respraying? I have a used OEM receiver coming in this week that has some surface rust I want to clean up. I'm thinking about doing herculiner, but I'll wait until I have it in my hands so I can see how to best deal with the clearances.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
mdvlt80 is on a distinguished road
mdvlt80's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Tacoma Rust U Cant Stop IT

I purchased new 2005 Tacoma and it has been garaged kept since I took possession of it at the dealer.
My first oil change around 6500 miles I noticed rust along all welded frame joints I pointed this out to the technician and he said it was normal.
Fast forward to early 2011 the entire frame including the hitch which was never used I donít own a boat has sever rust, I tried to stop the creep with a product by Magnet Paints, this undercoating at my time and expense appears to have slowed rust creep down some and it hides it as well but I know it continues to rust underneath. Toyota knows there is a problem with either the metal used to make the frame and or the under coating processes. The rust problem did not stop in 2004 it is very much alive into 2010 models.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
jesseunvoas is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Volunteer
Name: Jesse
jesseunvoas's Tacoma Gallery
i used rhino bed liner on mine it's lasted over a year and i drive gravel every day 10 mile round trip
Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #9
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is a simple fact of life in snowy climates. Accept it.
Or move to the Pacific NW. They won't use salt or lead weights out here because it may hurt the fish. Death on the highway is more accepted around here than affecting the Salmon runs.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Rust is mother natures way of taking back what is rightfully hers........but not with out a fight form us