Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

What can i tow??

Old 05-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
shrimperman is on a distinguished road
shrimperman's Tacoma Gallery
What can i tow??

Hey guys,

I have a 2003 tacoma 4x4 double cab v6 truck and was wondering how much weight i can tow with this.It only has the ball on the bumper for now.Im interested in towing a 25 ft travel trailer maybe 1000km a summer.Can i tow a 5 th wheel type trailer with this truck??What kinda of hitch set up do i need?

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
You have to look at the weight rating for the truck and the weight of the trailer.

If it's a 5th wheel with a gooseneck you need a gooseneck hitch...If it's a regular tongue trailer you need a ball. For a trailer that large- Trailer brakes and a controlled with a weight distributing hitch might be a good idea.

If you don't have the towing package might be a stretch...I'm not sure.

Check out the towing bible and expect tons of opinions and ideas about how to move your trailer!!

Welcome to the board.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
You have to look at the weight rating for the truck and the weight of the trailer.

If it's a 5th wheel with a gooseneck you need a gooseneck hitch...If it's a regular tongue trailer you need a ball. For a trailer that large- Trailer brakes and a controlled with a weight distributing hitch might be a good idea.

If you don't have the towing package might be a stretch...I'm not sure.

Check out the towing bible and expect tons of opinions and ideas about how to move your trailer!!

Welcome to the board.
Thanks,,so i can tow a 5th wheel with it.?The pan/box is not 2 small?

thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Quote:
I'm not sure...I haven't seen a 5th wheel set up for the Taco. I don't THINK there should be clearance issues...but I'm not sure.
Thanks bro for the info,,,it only has a ball on the bumper now.How much weight can be pulled using the ball on the bumper?Not much im figurin.Truck seems to have decent power.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Quote:
Well...The 05+ trucks on the V6 can pull like 6500 pounds with the tow package. Do you know if you have the tow package or not??
ic,,no i dont i checked that today actually.One more question if you dont mind cuz you seem like you know your stuff,,Can i tow a trailer directly from the ball that is on the bumper right now or do i have to add a different ball/hitch?
Old 05-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
Quote:
I'm glad I have someone fooled....I just know the right questions to ask to get the process started...Lots of other folks know MUCH better than I what is going on.

I wouldn't want to try and pull that 25 footer with your bumper...But lighter trailers are probably ok.

lmao,,thanks for info bro!!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
dellaquila is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Separated Meteorologist (SSgt)
Name: Mark
dellaquila's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure the 02-04 Tacomas are rated to tow either 3500 or 5000 pounds, depending on if you have the tow package or not. I have an 02 xtra cab 3.4L 4x4 and it's only rated to pull 3500 since I don't have the factory package according to the color of my fan housing (mine's orange). I do have a dealer installed hitch rated at 5000 pounds and I installed a brake controller/7 pin plug so I'm not worried about towing more than 3500 for short distances, but only since I have a manual transmission. If you have an auto you should really look into an oil cooler.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
The 1st gen trucks only have a 5,000lb (or less) towing capacity with a hitch.
I wouldn't tow anything on the bumper/ball.

Check your owners manual or do some research. The bumper will have a separate tow rating and it's NOT even close to 5,000lbs.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
I bought a 24ft terry wilderness that weighs 4000lbs according to the dealer.before i tow the trailer im installing weight distribution hitch,sway bars,tranny cooler and a brake controller.AM i good to go now ya think?Shouldnt have no prob towing it im hoping.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about05silverTaco has a spectacular aura about
Marines: Cpl 105 Howitzer Btry
05silverTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimperman View Post
I bought a 24ft terry wilderness that weighs 4000lbs according to the dealer.before i tow the trailer im installing weight distribution hitch,sway bars,tranny cooler and a brake controller.AM i good to go now ya think?Shouldnt have no prob towing it im hoping.
I would make sure I had a quality frame mounted reciever hitch installed before considering towing it.

vince
Old 05-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05silverTaco View Post
I would make sure I had a quality frame mounted reciever hitch installed before considering towing it.

vince
yes i am getting a good frame mounted hitch b4 i move it.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
meafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: RCR( Royal Canadian Regiment) INF
Name: Mike
meafordmike's Tacoma Gallery
I have about the same set up your getting, I do have a 08 Tacoma with tow package, and you will definitely know itís behind you, the WD hitch and sway bars really help. I am planning on pulling mine 24Ft Jayco 4500lbs out east (gods Country) this summer, round trip 2000km.
oh and get some good trailer mirrors.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by meafordmike View Post
I have about the same set up your getting, I do have a 08 Tacoma with tow package, and you will definitely know itís behind you, the WD hitch and sway bars really help. I am planning on pulling mine 24Ft Jayco 4500lbs out east (gods Country) this summer, round trip 2000km.
oh and get some good trailer mirrors.
No place like newfoundland.Do you think it is better to tow in 4 whell drive or leave it in 2 wheel drive?
Old 05-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #19
missguin is on a distinguished road
missguin's Tacoma Gallery
Towing a horse trailer

I currently tow a 2-horse trailer with a bumper pull...can I put a ball in my truck bed and pull an aluminum 2-horse gooseneck?? Trailer weight will probably be around 3500....

I have an "05 Tacoma Pre-runner with a 5 ft bed...

I've heard of someone doing it with a similar size ford truck....

thanks
Old 06-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
sportee is on a distinguished road
sportee's Tacoma Gallery
Just a bit of clarification...based on some questions that were asked.

The SR5 will tow 3500 off the bumper and 5000 off a frame mounted hitch. Add the TRD package and you get 6500 off a frame mounted hitch. (from the factory info)

As for fifth wheels, towing is not a probelm as long as you are within the tow rating of the truck...but...with the "composite" (plastic) bed you have to be a bit inventive with bolting down that gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch. You will have to figure out how to get those mounting bolts through to the frame...