1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What can i tow??

Discussion in 'Towing' started by shrimperman, May 16, 2009.

1. May 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

I have a 2003 tacoma 4x4 double cab v6 truck and was wondering how much weight i can tow with this.It only has the ball on the bumper for now.Im interested in towing a 25 ft travel trailer maybe 1000km a summer.Can i tow a 5 th wheel type trailer with this truck??What kinda of hitch set up do i need?

Thanks for your input.

2. May 16, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You have to look at the weight rating for the truck and the weight of the trailer.

If it's a 5th wheel with a gooseneck you need a gooseneck hitch...If it's a regular tongue trailer you need a ball. For a trailer that large- Trailer brakes and a controlled with a weight distributing hitch might be a good idea.

If you don't have the towing package might be a stretch...I'm not sure.

Check out the towing bible and expect tons of opinions and ideas about how to move your trailer!!

Welcome to the board.

3. May 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    Y0TA

Y0TA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Central MT
    Vehicle:
    05 BLK TRD Sport 4X4
  4. May 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks,,so i can tow a 5th wheel with it.?The pan/box is not 2 small?

thanks

5. May 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm not sure...I haven't seen a 5th wheel set up for the Taco. I don't THINK there should be clearance issues...but I'm not sure.

6. May 16, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks bro for the info,,,it only has a ball on the bumper now.How much weight can be pulled using the ball on the bumper?Not much im figurin.Truck seems to have decent power.

7. May 16, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Well...The 05+ trucks on the V6 can pull like 6500 pounds with the tow package. Do you know if you have the tow package or not??

8. May 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    ic,,no i dont i checked that today actually.One more question if you dont mind cuz you seem like you know your stuff,,Can i tow a trailer directly from the ball that is on the bumper right now or do i have to add a different ball/hitch?

9. May 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I'm glad I have someone fooled....I just know the right questions to ask to get the process started...Lots of other folks know MUCH better than I what is going on.

I wouldn't want to try and pull that 25 footer with your bumper...But lighter trailers are probably ok.

10. May 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:

lmao,,thanks for info bro!!

11. May 16, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    No worries....and keep your eye on this thread...cause the other folks will be around I'm sure...Hopefully I didn't give you any bad info...

12. May 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    dellaquila

dellaquila Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD SR5 4x4
    I'm pretty sure the 02-04 Tacomas are rated to tow either 3500 or 5000 pounds, depending on if you have the tow package or not. I have an 02 xtra cab 3.4L 4x4 and it's only rated to pull 3500 since I don't have the factory package according to the color of my fan housing (mine's orange). I do have a dealer installed hitch rated at 5000 pounds and I installed a brake controller/7 pin plug so I'm not worried about towing more than 3500 for short distances, but only since I have a manual transmission. If you have an auto you should really look into an oil cooler.

13. May 17, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The 1st gen trucks only have a 5,000lb (or less) towing capacity with a hitch.
    I wouldn't tow anything on the bumper/ball.

Check your owners manual or do some research. The bumper will have a separate tow rating and it's NOT even close to 5,000lbs.

14. May 21, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    I bought a 24ft terry wilderness that weighs 4000lbs according to the dealer.before i tow the trailer im installing weight distribution hitch,sway bars,tranny cooler and a brake controller.AM i good to go now ya think?Shouldnt have no prob towing it im hoping.

15. May 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    05silverTaco

05silverTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport
    Dodge Mirrors, Fog light switch, Always on Fog lights, Firestone Air Bags
    I would make sure I had a quality frame mounted reciever hitch installed before considering towing it.

vince

16. May 21, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    yes i am getting a good frame mounted hitch b4 i move it.

17. May 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    meafordmike

meafordmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4/ 4Dr 6 speed, Sport/ Towing
    Devil Horns, Wet Okoles, WeatherTechs, Radflo Coilovers, OME Dakar's, FJC Gun metal rims, 265/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA/KO, Rear Diff breather Mod,
    I have about the same set up your getting, I do have a 08 Tacoma with tow package, and you will definitely know it’s behind you, the WD hitch and sway bars really help. I am planning on pulling mine 24Ft Jayco 4500lbs out east (gods Country) this summer, round trip 2000km.
    oh and get some good trailer mirrors.

18. May 22, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    shrimperman

shrimperman [OP] Member

Member:
    No place like newfoundland.Do you think it is better to tow in 4 whell drive or leave it in 2 wheel drive?

19. May 24, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    missguin

missguin New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma Pre-runner
    I currently tow a 2-horse trailer with a bumper pull...can I put a ball in my truck bed and pull an aluminum 2-horse gooseneck?? Trailer weight will probably be around 3500....

I have an "05 Tacoma Pre-runner with a 5 ft bed...

I've heard of someone doing it with a similar size ford truck....

thanks

20. Jun 13, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    sportee

sportee Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    Still planning :)
    Just a bit of clarification...based on some questions that were asked.

The SR5 will tow 3500 off the bumper and 5000 off a frame mounted hitch. Add the TRD package and you get 6500 off a frame mounted hitch. (from the factory info)

As for fifth wheels, towing is not a probelm as long as you are within the tow rating of the truck...but...with the "composite" (plastic) bed you have to be a bit inventive with bolting down that gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch. You will have to figure out how to get those mounting bolts through to the frame...

Products Discussed in

To Top