Notices

The Tacoma Towing Bible

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #741
TuckerTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Tucker
TuckerTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
20' Lund

Don't know what it weighs but it doesn't sag the truck or pull on it to hard. It's a 20' Lund deep well with a 200 Yamaha with Kicker.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tacoma Towing Bible-img_1672.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #742
Ameridane is on a distinguished road
Ameridane's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy help needed with after market towing package

"The Gen 2 trucks are available with a factory “towing package” on V6 models only.

This “towing package” consists of a class IV receiver hitch, supplemental engine oil cooler, transmission cooler (again automatic transmission only), Heavy-Duty battery, 130 amp alternator, fully functional 7-way round plug, and a plug and play brake controller pigtail."

End Quote

Anybody please help. We are in the process of converting our 09 Tacoma to have the aftermarket version of the towing package. Unfortunately Toyota have discontinued the Class 4 Hitch receiver. By calling several manufacturers of hitches they do not have a Class 4 but only a Class 3 which would fit out Tacoma. By installing a Class 3 incl weight distribution we can only tow max of 5500 lbs. Our new trailer weighs in at 5800 fully loaded. How do I make this a legal installation so the police will not ask me to drop the camper on the shoulder of the interstate?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #743
J Gibson is on a distinguished road

Navy: Hospital Corpsman, 4th MarDiv
Name: J
J Gibson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameridane View Post

"The Gen 2 trucks are available with a factory “towing package” on V6 models only.

This “towing package” consists of a class IV receiver hitch, supplemental engine oil cooler, transmission cooler (again automatic transmission only), Heavy-Duty battery, 130 amp alternator, fully functional 7-way round plug, and a plug and play brake controller pigtail."

End Quote

Anybody please help. We are in the process of converting our 09 Tacoma to have the aftermarket version of the towing package. Unfortunately Toyota have discontinued the Class 4 Hitch receiver. By calling several manufacturers of hitches they do not have a Class 4 but only a Class 3 which would fit out Tacoma. By installing a Class 3 incl weight distribution we can only tow max of 5500 lbs. Our new trailer weighs in at 5800 fully loaded. How do I make this a legal installation so the police will not ask me to drop the camper on the shoulder of the interstate?
Could you be lucky enough to find the factory Toyota hitch in a salvage yard somewhere? If you go to one in your area they often have a network that shows them what is available at other yards.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #744
elcomicguy is on a distinguished road
elcomicguy's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Spring TSB

Hi, I have an '07 4cyl auto Tacoma I'm setting up for towing a 17' RV that weighs 2425 lbs. As far as the rear spring retrofit goes, I'm out of warranty but I'm gonna try to get Toyota to do it for free. If not there is an alternative mentioned on the first page of this thread that says: These devices replace the bump stops, and sort of act like an additional overload spring when under load, and do nothing when not under load. The link doesn't work. Does anyone know where to get these bumps stops? Also I'd appreciate any input to what I'm attempting.

Thanks Bruce
Old 07-20-2013, 05:40 AM   #745
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcomicguy View Post
Hi, I have an '07 4cyl auto Tacoma I'm setting up for towing a 17' RV that weighs 2425 lbs. As far as the rear spring retrofit goes, I'm out of warranty but I'm gonna try to get Toyota to do it for free. If not there is an alternative mentioned on the first page of this thread that says: These devices replace the bump stops, and sort of act like an additional overload spring when under load, and do nothing when not under load. The link doesn't work. Does anyone know where to get these bumps stops? Also I'd appreciate any input to what I'm attempting.

Thanks Bruce
If you can't get the rear TSB you should see if there's a local shop that builds leaf springs. I had one near me do that, and I can load 1,000lbs in the bed without it sagging now! They even arched them so when I get a fiberglass shell and steel bumper it'll sit level.

Or rebuild leafs yourself with parts from a junkyard. There's a thread about that hear somewhere too.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #746
elcomicguy is on a distinguished road
elcomicguy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your answer piercedtiger, I'm thinking of going the airbag route now. I may just set everything up and see how it goes before I do anything at all
Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #747
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
elcomic,

go for it man! I got airbags on mine and is like night and day difference! I just moved cross-country and towed about 4k pounds. The whole rig did well and the drive was very comfortable.

Here is a pic I took during my move from GA to WA:
Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #748
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafern View Post
elcomic,

go for it man! I got airbags on mine and is like night and day difference! I just moved cross-country and towed about 4k pounds. The whole rig did well and the drive was very comfortable.

Here is a pic I took during my move from GA to WA:
How big is your trailer? Looks like it's right about the size i'm thinking of getting
Old 07-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #749
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Nick! Wassup?

My trailer is a 7x14 from bigtex. Tows nicely.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #750
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nick! Wassup?

My trailer is a 7x14 from bigtex. Tows nicely.
Fantastic! I am planning on a 14' but am not sure on 6 or 7 wide. Mostly just for fourwheelers and building materials. I think the 6' will be nicer for the tight roads around here.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #751
If you can, try to borrow a 7 wide and see how you manage around your tight roads. Post a pic when you get it. I was able to put two motorcycles side by side and still had room to put 4 bikes between the two moto's.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #752
PnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPnoyBOS5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B Infantryman (Vet.)
Name: chris
PnoyBOS5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you can, try to borrow a 7 wide and see how you manage around your tight roads. Post a pic when you get it. I was able to put two motorcycles side by side and still had room to put 4 bikes between the two moto's.

Good luck.
I'll be lookin out for your truck around jblm
Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #753
I just installed a after market version of the manufacturer towing package.

B&M Super trans cooler
Prodigy 2 brake controller
Draw-Tite-75236 hitch class 3/4
Air Lift 59561
plus all the wire kits.

I did skip on the engine oil cooler, the alternator and the battery. This setup works like a dream. I never put the vehicle in D but only in 4 while hauling my brand new Tracer Air 240 which comes in at 4700 lbs loaded. Total weight of both vehicled are just under 10K lbs loaded and all tanks filled up.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tacoma Towing Bible-camper-hook-up.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #754
sfinley is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
sfinley's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about your highway mileage and your speed. I am a about to tow a U-haul car hauler with a 1985 Isuzu Trooper on it. Trooper & trailer will be around 5500lbs. I am going from Birmingham to Cambria, Ca. Thanks
Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #755
I use approximately 3 to 4 gal pr. 50 miles of driving and the speed is around 55 to 60 mph. Im worried about the torque converter if I put the tacoma in "D" instead of 4. By driving in 4 only, then the engine will help you brake and the RPM never go over 2500 to 3000.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #756
pikey is on a distinguished road
pikey's Tacoma Gallery
Brake controller install on gen 2 without towing package

Just wondering if I am going to have any issues with installing my brake controller as per the instructions on page 1 ( thanks!!) where my truck has no towing fuses etc in the fuse box in the engine. Will the blue wire work ok that I am tapping into in the harness?? Thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #757
toytech589 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
toytech589's Tacoma Gallery
towing trailer

hi ive been wondering if i would be able to tow my 96 camaro with a steel open trailer with my 06 trd tacoma 6cyl 6speed without being overweight.. max towing says 6500, and i know the car weighs roughly 3500lbs. i know a aluminum trailer would be ideal but i cant afford one of those at this moment in time. any ideas??
Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #758
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech589 View Post
hi ive been wondering if i would be able to tow my 96 camaro with a steel open trailer with my 06 trd tacoma 6cyl 6speed without being overweight.. max towing says 6500, and i know the car weighs roughly 3500lbs. i know a aluminum trailer would be ideal but i cant afford one of those at this moment in time. any ideas??

You'll be over weight at that point. Not that it can't be done, but be aware of that. The aluminum U-Haul trailers are 2,000lbs so I would imagine steel would be heavier.

Mind you, I hauled a 1950's (I think) full sized Ford Custom truck with mine on an aluminum trailer for 100 miles. Just had to downshift more to slow down on hills, accelerate slower, leave more room for braking, and drive slower.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #759
toytech589 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
toytech589's Tacoma Gallery
nevermind i figured it out. i ve found steel open trailers unloaded that weight 1800lbs. that ll deff get me down the road. and you cant tell me that a uhaul open aluminum trailer weighs 2000. no way.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #760
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech589 View Post
nevermind i figured it out. i ve found steel open trailers unloaded that weight 1800lbs. that ll deff get me down the road. and you cant tell me that a uhaul open aluminum trailer weighs 2000. no way.
Well, that'll definitely help you. And you're right, per their site it's 2,210lbs empty.

So that's a savings of 410 lbs for you. The shear weight of their auto transport is why I had to tell them I was towing a ford fiesta.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT

Quote:
Features

• Easy-access loading ramp
  • Tilt-out fender allows vehicle door access
  • Ratchet-operated tire straps
  • Vehicle security chains
  • Automatic hydraulic surge brake

Capacity

• Max load: 5,290 lbs.
  • Gross vehicle weight: 7,500 lbs. max.
  • Empty weight: 2,210 lbs.