Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

The Tacoma Towing Bible

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #761
toytech589 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
toytech589's Tacoma Gallery
yeah and im lookin for a permanant trailer to haul my race car to the track. no to rent but thats nice they put the capacity there.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #762
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
uhaul sucks ass.

might be time for a Tundra bro
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #763
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafern View Post
I've received some pm's from some members asking about installing the brake controller without drilling. Took some photos so everyone can see how I did it. I also believe that another member here has done it the same way.

This is what I use: a clip binder (I think this is the biggest size) that you can get at office depot/max

It is out of the way and I can see it when driving/pulling the trailer.

This is what I pull with my truck at the moment...for some of my toys.... 14 ft Tandem Axle BigTex Trailer

Hope the pics help. In the current location, the controller is out of the way but I bump into it if I am in a hurry and not paying attention when getting out of the Tacoma. The binder clip has kept it in place and barely moves. NO holes with this approach.

Will the size of it allow it to be put in the little storage area right above where you have it mounted, if not maybe with a little cutting/modding? If you could get it in there that would be an ideal location, you could just drop it down when you needed to use it then close it when you didn't and it would be out of the way and out of sight. Also would help not bump it.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #764
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
You mean the size of the controller? I do not think so. Even if I cut it (the tray in the storage are you are talking about), there is not enough space in there... I really like it where it is.

It is rare occasion if I bump it. I did a few times at the beginning but not anymore.

I would not mind bumping the hottie on your sig...
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #765
toytech589 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
toytech589's Tacoma Gallery
tundra wont happen. dmax or cummins will. lol
Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #766
not in our lifetime but the next one for sure. Toyo is tops for me.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #767
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
Spindifferent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Will the size of it allow it to be put in the little storage area right above where you have it mounted, if not maybe with a little cutting/modding? If you could get it in there that would be an ideal location, you could just drop it down when you needed to use it then close it when you didn't and it would be out of the way and out of sight. Also would help not bump it.
I did this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...prerunner.html
Old 08-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #768
bluecoral is on a distinguished road
Name: James
bluecoral's Tacoma Gallery
brake controller connector

I have a 4 cylinder 2010 Tacoma. Is it possible there is no plug there? It did not come with a tow package. I have searched multiple messages and looked for a couple of hours. My back and neck are aching. Is there a wiring diagram to hook it up myself without the plug?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #769
dpinnell.1 is on a distinguished road
Name: d
dpinnell.1's Tacoma Gallery
Towing Info

Wow! Towing Bible it is! Plan on following it to the "T." Thanks so much for the multi-subject information regarding topics I'd never would have considered. You've probably saved me from myself and provided information to keep me, and mine, SAFE. You're awesome.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #770
2012txpro is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
2012txpro's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Txpro with remote start

Hey Guys/Gals quick question. I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma TxPro with a towing package and a 7 pin plug. It came with the pig tail to hook up a brake control, but for the life of me I can't find where to plug it in. It says in the manual above the kick panel. Is it possible my remote start is plugged into this adapter? If so how do I go about plugging in my brake control? I figured I would ask before I rip my remote start out! Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #771
J Gibson is on a distinguished road

Navy: Hospital Corpsman, 4th MarDiv
Name: J
J Gibson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012txpro View Post
Hey Guys/Gals quick question. I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma TxPro with a towing package and a 7 pin plug. It came with the pig tail to hook up a brake control, but for the life of me I can't find where to plug it in. It says in the manual above the kick panel. Is it possible my remote start is plugged into this adapter? If so how do I go about plugging in my brake control? I figured I would ask before I rip my remote start out! Thanks in advance!!!!
I don't know about the remote start, bit I do know that mine was tucked down almost in the body panel up above the kick panel. I spent hours looking and ended up taking to a local truck accessory place to get a tech to find it.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #772
it is hidden in the left side kick panel. remove that panel and you will find it.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #773
2012txpro is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
2012txpro's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! Ya it is really buried up there. I depressed the emergency brake and had to do it by feel instead of sight. What a pain!!! Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #774
glad you found it.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #775
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecoral View Post
I have a 4 cylinder 2010 Tacoma. Is it possible there is no plug there? It did not come with a tow package. I have searched multiple messages and looked for a couple of hours. My back and neck are aching. Is there a wiring diagram to hook it up myself without the plug?
If your truck did not come with a tow package it will not be be wired for it. You can add aftermarket wiring and hitch. I added the wiring harness for my 05 that had a hitch but no wiring when I purchased it. If you check out etrailer.com they supplied me with everything I needed to first convert to a 4 pole wiring harness and then later to a 7 pole with brake controller.

Adding a 4 pole harness is relatively easy and pretty much plug n play. The addition of the 7 pole is a little more technical but can be done.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #776
Scott SD is on a distinguished road
Scott SD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecoral View Post
This is my experience…..I bought a 2013 PreRunner DC 4 cylinder. I wanted a 4 cylinder as I have a long daily commute and didn’t want to sacrifice the mpg for the 0.1% of towing that I do. I have a small single axle trailer with electric brakes that is about 3200 lbs. when loaded. The tow package wasn’t an available option and the truck wasn’t prewired either. Right after I got it home I started buying everything to add the factory tow package. I bought the factory hitch, the factory wiring harness, and the factory trans cooler for the V6. The factory wiring harness is a very complete kit, but it does take a lot of time to wire in the truck. It is a 4 pin connector, which I modified the harness with 1 additional wire for the brake controller and added the 7 pin connector. I mounted the brake controller in the center console (pic on page 33 of this post) and wired it from the battery . Because I had a lot of the interior apart I also added a 12V plug in the back of the console and wired it to the battery. The whole job took about a week, but the results look factory. Following the installation I then took the truck on a 5000 mile cross country trip, towing 1000 lbs. for half and 3200 lbs. for the 2nd half. The truck did a great job towing and still got reasonable mpg.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #777
waynrich is on a distinguished road
Name: Wayne
waynrich's Tacoma Gallery
Towing info

Thanks Maverick. The Bible is the best. I'm adding an aftermarket tow package to my 07 V6 4X4 DC LB and this is just what I needed.

So far I've picked up a Curt receiver package with T- connector, ball and draw bar and a 4 to 7 way + 4 trailer connector. Adding an activator II brake controller trying to keep costs down.

I'll be hauling a Bantam lite B19 hybrid TT at 2885#. Truck is out of warranty so too late for the suspension TSB. Has anyone used the Hellwig add-on load levelers? Looking at the EZ550's or EZ990's. Seem to be a cheaper and easier solution to the weak spring problem. Wife suggested the trailer 2 weeks after I fixed a broken wrap around spring on my 3 leaf rears. Don't want to do that again and not looking to lift the truck just control the load drop.

Thinking I should add trans and oil cooler, 130 amp alternator and larger battery as per the Bible. Suggestions on which order to add these items as funds will be stretched out over time?

My battery is the original factory battery so I'm guessing that will need a replacement this winter. Factory is 710 amps, what is the tow package amperage?

How large should the coolers be? I did find a oil filter Sandwich Adapter online that fits under the oil filter and allows you to run oil lines to a generic oil cooler cost about $100 - $150 for both depending on the oil cooler. Adapter was $30.00. Hope that may help the members looking at the factory kits.

With this weight should I also be looking for a WD hitch? Former owner towed it with a Tundra and had no problems.
Love the forum. Picked up a lot of good advice.
Wayne
Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #778
Banaco is on a distinguished road
Banaco's Tacoma Gallery
newbie to towing

I've got a 07 tacoma double cab with no towing package, which gives me 5000# towing capacity. for the 5000# is that the weight of the trailer sitting on a scale by itself or is that the amount sitting on the wheels of the trailer when the trailer is hooked up to my truck and WD hooked up?
also I have read that the GCWR for a tocoma with the towing package is 11100, would this be different for my truck if so does anyone know the GCWR for my truck?
as it sits with my TT loaded to go camping sitting on the scale by itself comes in at just under 5000#. that was loaded for a weekend trip, so if i were to go for longer i would most definitely be over 5000#.

If it is the weight of the trailer sitting on the scale by itself then I will be in the market for a tacoma with towing package, if it is the weight while hooked to the truck then i am good to go with my current setup

thanks

David
Old 09-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #779
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banaco View Post
I've got a 07 tacoma double cab with no towing package, which gives me 5000# towing capacity. for the 5000# is that the weight of the trailer sitting on a scale by itself or is that the amount sitting on the wheels of the trailer when the trailer is hooked up to my truck and WD hooked up?
also I have read that the GCWR for a tocoma with the towing package is 11100, would this be different for my truck if so does anyone know the GCWR for my truck?
as it sits with my TT loaded to go camping sitting on the scale by itself comes in at just under 5000#. that was loaded for a weekend trip, so if i were to go for longer i would most definitely be over 5000#.

If it is the weight of the trailer sitting on the scale by itself then I will be in the market for a tacoma with towing package, if it is the weight while hooked to the truck then i am good to go with my current setup

thanks

David
It's the Gross Trailer Weight (the total, loaded weight of the trailer, alone).
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #780
Bobbo Thompson is on a distinguished road
Name: Bobbo
Bobbo Thompson's Tacoma Gallery
Extended mirrors

Unless I missed it, what are the name brand of the mirrors and do you have ordering information?
Really appreciate all your other input!

Bobbo

Products Discussed in this Thread