Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Need Prodigy Install Help

Old 06-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
PropJet has a spectacular aura aboutPropJet has a spectacular aura about
PropJet's Tacoma Gallery
Need Prodigy Install Help

Feeling kind of stupid here...

I bought a Prodigy brake controller, as well as the Toyota specific wiring harness to make the install easier. The side of the harness that plugs into the Prodigy has 5 wires: blue, red, black and 2 whites. All the wires, except for 1 white wire, are connected to an adapter that plugs directly into the truck connector tucked up under the dash. However, according to the instructions, "the white wire must be connected to a suitable ground location. The negative terminal of the battery is a suitable ground location in the absence of a trailer tow package connection."

What's throwing me off is 2 things: 1) none of the posts I have read here have mentioned anything about this wire, only that it's a simple "plug and play" install, and 2) if this connector is a Toyota specific connector designed for trucks with a tow package, why is the wording in the instructions contradictory? It first says that the wire must be connected, then seems to indicate that if you have a tow package that it's not necessary.

So what's the correct answer? Does it need to be connected or not? And if so, where did you all connect it?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
michigantaco09 is on a distinguished road
michigantaco09's Tacoma Gallery
When i put mine on i just put the ground on a machine screw attached near the harness hookup. Its only inches away from where you hooked up the brake controller wires. I also did this on my 06 tacoma. worked perfectly.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
michigantaco09 is on a distinguished road
michigantaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Just looked at mine. When you look up from floor you should see a black plug-in box that says odm-II or something like that. Just above parking brake pedal. The screw is just to the left of that on a metal bracket. The screw is all by itself. Nothing else is attached to it. The nut for the screw is welded to the bracket so it wont fall off . Im sure that this screw is for brake control ground.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
How do you guys like the prodigy and did you get the P3? I'm about to order one cause i'm getting a 2k lb trailer to haul my jeep and would like to have a good proportional break controller. Also, should i run two axle breaks or will one be enough for about 6k lbs.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
PropJet has a spectacular aura aboutPropJet has a spectacular aura about
PropJet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
How do you guys like the prodigy and did you get the P3? I'm about to order one cause i'm getting a 2k lb trailer to haul my jeep and would like to have a good proportional break controller. Also, should i run two axle breaks or will one be enough for about 6k lbs.
Thanks, MT. I found what you're referring to. Oh, and welcome to TW!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
canadiankid is on a distinguished road
canadiankid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post

I have the P3 and love it. As far as breaking with one or two, the more the better.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
wushaw has a spectacular aura aboutwushaw has a spectacular aura about
wushaw's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the regular prodigy, it works just fine, I have a 16' utility trailer with brakes on one axle and it works fine so far.