Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Got Tow Package with new Tacoma dbl cab what about Ball mount?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
auart is on a distinguished road
Name: ART
auart's Tacoma Gallery
Got Tow Package with new Tacoma dbl cab what about Ball mount?

I got the Tow Package with my NEW Tacoma dbl cab TRD Off Road Package, just took delivery last night.
While looking through the truck, I noticed there is NO Ball Mount for the Hitch Receiver.
I have bought 2 4runners in the past 12 years and BOTH had the Ball mount in the Vehicle in a small box. All I had to do was attach a Ball in teh size I chose and thats it.
Does the Two Package come with the Ball Mount still or not???

Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
auart's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

I was afraid of that, but my 2 4runners (one 1997 and one 2004) both came with them!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
auart's Tacoma Gallery
OK... NOW I get to reading my window Sticker and under the Tow Package it says:
V6 Towing Package: 6500 lbs
  • Max Towing Capacity, Class 4 Hitch,
  • Supplemental Oil Cooler, 130A Alternator,
  • Heavy Duty Battery, 7-Pin Connector
  • w/Converter
SO.........the 7=pin connector w/converter===Where is this converter?
Is this the same as the $8 7 to 4 pin adapter that all dealers sell as an accessory???
Also, how can I be sure all this was installed?

Another part of the Sticker shows a Skid Plate but mine looks totally different than the pictures show under accessory's.

Anybody recently buy a Tow Package on a 2009???
Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
dalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dalsmthme's Tacoma Gallery
I bought an '09 DC with a towing package. The 'converter' is actually the brake controller plug they give you in the glove box. I bought the 7-4 pin connecter from the dealer $9. I then went to lowes and bought the stainless steal 3.25" ball drop on sale for $34. I like it better than the toyta one anyway.

On the skid plate thing, all Tacoma's come with skid plates and it is listed on the window sticker. If it isn't listed in the accessories, then you just got the standard skit plate. Paint that one silver and save your self some cash.....
Old 06-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt get the hitch ball or the adapter , im going to call them about it. they may have frogotten b/c i got it the day it was delivered....before they put all that dealer crap on
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't get a ball mount in my 07 that had the tow package. There are so many different variations I don't know why they would do it. My neighbor got one with is Land Cruiser though. Seems weird. He's not exactly a car person, he came up to me and said 'any idea what this is'?! Of course, I took it off him for the princely sum of...$0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auart View Post

Max Towing Capacity, Class 4 Hitch,
  • Supplemental Oil Cooler, 130A Alternator,
  • Heavy Duty Battery, 7-Pin Connector
  • w/Converter
SO.........the 7=pin connector w/converter===Where is this converter?
Is this the same as the $8 7 to 4 pin adapter that all dealers sell as an accessory???
Also, how can I be sure all this was installed?
Here's how you make sure you've got it all...

Look under the hood. You should see there is a heavy duty battery under there. Look at the side of the alternator, it should say 130A on it somewhere. Look for the oil cooler - it looks like a radiator and it will be fitted in front (I think) of the radiator. The 7 pin connector will prob be in your glove box. Again, I don't know why they supply these - there are 4 or 5 different plugs used on trailers nowadays, so why are they providing an adapter for just one?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
nasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nicenasty ned is just really nice
nasty ned's Tacoma Gallery
they just come with the reciever with cap.i'm almost positive you have to buy the ball &hitch seperate. because the hitches have options to the amount of drop you want or don't depending on how level you line up with the trailer.i love dalsmthe's answer for the skid plate (paint it) why didn't i think of that ? oh'i know i'm a dumbaaaaaaaaaaaaaas
Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
for a ball and mount, i highly recommend the alumistinger.
they are very strong, lightweight, and shiny

and they have an 8000 pound capacity on a 2" ball and a 1" shank...
http://www.hitchsolutions.com/alumistingerupsale.html
Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've never heard of a vehicle having a draw bar or ball included.

Draw bars & balls vary in size and depending on what you're gonna tow, will depend on the draw bar (drop or raise) and the ball size.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Bre2tSco2t is on a distinguished road

Bre2tSco2t's Tacoma Gallery
I got one of these interchangeable ball kits. I like that I can change balls without any tools. Perfect for my occasional towing and not knowing which ball I may need.

http://www.etrailer.com/c-IBS2.htm
Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
auart's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the info about the Tow Package stuff.
There is a Huge Battery, I think it said 710CCA, so its plenty, the Alternator I can't tell, its hard to see down there, and I think the "Oil Cooler " you mentioned is the small little mini radiator looking thing with a couple of lines coming out of it in front of the Radiator? Anybody have a pic of what it should look like?
Also, whats the difference with the "Oil Cooler" and the Trans Cooler? The Tow package shows a Trans Cooler as part of the package.
The Skid Plate thing really sucks, because the Package I got, TRD Off Road , shows a Skid Plate, but how can I argue that I got the black painted one and not the much nicer one they sell as an accesorie. I think this is a ripoff!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for all the info about the Tow Package stuff.
There is a Huge Battery, I think it said 710CCA, so its plenty, the Alternator I can't tell, its hard to see down there, and I think the "Oil Cooler " you mentioned is the small little mini radiator looking thing with a couple of lines coming out of it in front of the Radiator? Anybody have a pic of what it should look like?
Also, whats the difference with the "Oil Cooler" and the Trans Cooler? The Tow package shows a Trans Cooler as part of the package.
The Skid Plate thing really sucks, because the Package I got, TRD Off Road , shows a Skid Plate, but how can I argue that I got the black painted one and not the much nicer one they sell as an accesorie. I think this is a ripoff!
That little mini radiator looking thing is the transmission cooler.

The oil cooler is kinda - unnoticable. It's a silver looking thing about 2" tall and directly underneath the oil filter on the 4.0L's I believe.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 AM   #15
dalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalsmthme is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Don't worry about the skidplate. All it does is act like a bug guard. There is nothing to them. If you want to look hardcore, just buy a hardcore skid plate. Next time read the window sticker more carefully and check the truck over before you leave with it to make sure it has everything you want. Unless it is listed as an accessory included with the truck, it isn't a ripoff, it just didn't come with the truck.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #16
auart's Tacoma Gallery
The Skid plate is listed as an accessory included with the TRD Off Road package,,,but

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalsmthme View Post
Don't worry about the skidplate. All it does is act like a bug guard. There is nothing to them. If you want to look hardcore, just buy a hardcore skid plate. Next time read the window sticker more carefully and check the truck over before you leave with it to make sure it has everything you want. Unless it is listed as an accessory included with the truck, it isn't a ripoff, it just didn't come with the truck.
It just isn't the same skid plate that you can buy as an accesory seperately. I would like to know if this is common.
They list it as included with the TRD Package but it is just misleading that it is not the same as the one you can buy at the dealership.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #17
jerkyman47 is on a distinguished road
jerkyman47's Tacoma Gallery
just got the 2009 dbl cab taco with tow package skid plate black but I like that color since my truck is Magnetic Gray.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #18
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It just isn't the same skid plate that you can buy as an accesory seperately. I would like to know if this is common.
They list it as included with the TRD Package but it is just misleading that it is not the same as the one you can buy at the dealership.
All 4x4 Tacoma's come with the black skid plate you received, TRD off-road trucks come with an additional skid plate behind the first one as well as a fuel tank skid plate, and a little diaper of a skid plate under the transfer case. You got the full skid plate package that comes with the off-road. What you did not get was the front bumper trim piece that Toyota sells as an accessory and calls a skid plate. The factory plates you got will offer moderate protection to a casual wheeler, but they will not stand up to repeated abuse. If you are going to wheel hardcore, then you need to forget about the factory skids, as well as the decorative piece that was not included in the purchase price of the truck and get some hardcore aftermarket skids.

As for the converter, it is already built into the truck, and the converter is not the 7-4 pin adapter, though some people have reported raising enough of a stink at the dealer claiming that was the "converter" that the dealer has given them one, it's up to you if it is worth the fight.

Everyone else already covered the coolers and the ball-mount, but in anycase, rest assured that no other tacoma owner got a ball mount as part of their towing package either.

Regards,
Old 06-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
All 4x4 Tacoma's come with the black skid plate you received, TRD off-road trucks come with an additional skid plate behind the first one as well as a fuel tank skid plate, and a little diaper of a skid plate under the transfer case. You got the full skid plate package that comes with the off-road. What you did not get was the front bumper trim piece that Toyota sells as an accessory and calls a skid plate. The factory plates you got will offer moderate protection to a casual wheeler, but they will not stand up to repeated abuse. If you are going to wheel hardcore, then you need to forget about the factory skids, as well as the decorative piece that was not included in the purchase price of the truck and get some hardcore aftermarket skids.

As for the converter, it is already built into the truck, and the converter is not the 7-4 pin adapter, though some people have reported raising enough of a stink at the dealer claiming that was the "converter" that the dealer has given them one, it's up to you if it is worth the fight.

Everyone else already covered the coolers and the ball-mount, but in anycase, rest assured that no other tacoma owner got a ball mount as part of their towing package either.

Regards,
Thank you for saving me the time to type that......
Old 06-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #20
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
i got a draw bar and pin with my hitch........but it was a reese hitch the dealer installed along with my 7 pin connector ;-)