Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Reese Locking Hitch

Old 06-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
black98 is on a distinguished road

black98's Tacoma Gallery
Reese Locking Hitch

I bought my taco about a month ago and it came with a Reese key locking hitch on it. Unfortunately, the seller did not have the key that goes with it. I sent Reese an email, to which they actually responded saying they could not help me or send me a replacement key without having the key number or something. What can I do, short of sawing of the little metal dowel there? It is not really posing a problem right now, other than the aesthetics of the truck, but it would be nice to be able to remove the hitch. Although, it's also nice to know I have a little extra protection in case someone rear ends me.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
See if the guys at your local firehouse want to give their 'jaws of life' an outing.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
kasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud ofkasey200 has much to be proud of
kasey200's Tacoma Gallery
you may have a hard time cutting with a saw of any sort because it's hardened steel. it will just ruin the blade. use a grinder or torch.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
i had one of those exact locks on my T-100. sounded like a good idea until i actually needed to remove it. i had a key for mine, but the rust had formed an impenetrable seal on the lock. never did get it off...sold it still rusted in place...keys in glovebox. die grinder w/cutoff wheel, or a couple good bi-metal sawzall blades should do it.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #6

black98's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, wish there was a way to just find an extra key...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #8

black98's Tacoma Gallery
No, but it is an option, hopefully it won't get to that, are locksmith services expensive?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 AM   #9
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
they cost more than a new hitch lock, i bet.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:19 AM   #10
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
usually locksmiths do automotive key molds for something around 50 dollars
Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
usually locksmiths do automotive key molds for something around 50 dollars
Sounds like that puppy's gotta go.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
MattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the roughMattN03 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Matt
MattN03's Tacoma Gallery
Grind it off and buy a new one for $20 at Wal-Mart.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Navy: Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles
Name: Joe
JoeSchmuck's Tacoma Gallery
The fastest way I can think of is to visit your freindly body shop or metal shop that has a plasma or other gas cutting device and have them lob it off for $10.00, might be less. Of course you would loose your pin holding in the ball mount, something you would probably need to replace anyway.

-Joe
Old 07-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #15
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
yea i'd say just cut it off and buy a new one. there pretty inexpensive anyways. i would use a grinder with cutoff wheel, torch or plasma for sure.